Link: SIAP ESPN: Full cost of attendance passes 79-1

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
It was coming regardless of opinions (which I am sure are forthcoming!)

Sounds like a reasonable first step but, along with the playoff system and ESPN dominance over college football, I am afraid college football, as I know and love it .... is officially extinct. I predict corporate sponsorships with uniform patches for teams and stadiums within 5 years (2020), then for individual players within 10 years (2025). Remember where you read it first.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Odd that Boston College voted against this. They have an endowment valued at over two billion dollars that continues to grow. They have a great scholarship program and help most of their students. It just doesn't fit with their culture or ability to support the initiative.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Sounds like a reasonable first step but, along with the playoff system and ESPN dominance over college football, I am afraid college football, as I know and love it .... is officially extinct. I predict corporate sponsorships with uniform patches for teams and stadiums within 5 years (2020), then for individual players within 10 years (2025). Remember where you read it first.
Unfortunately I agree with this. I can see a Coke logo patch on the top of one shoulder pad and a Golden Flake patch on the other. Follow the Money.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
CoastGhost, I too am afraid you're right. It's a painful thought. My dad has been saying for years that college football will "go the way of NASCAR" before long...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Is this an end to the "Coliseum" where regular people can go see sporting events and be entertained? I actually foresee a day were games will be played without a live crowd. All on Television and Internet.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
When I watched two teams play to a 59-52 score, whose uniforms looked like some kinds of comic book characters .... I knew the game had changed and would never be the same.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I enjoyed watching a few North Dakota State games this year as much or more than any of the "power conference" games including our own. Luckily you can catch some of those games more frequently up this way. Hopefully, they'll put more D-II games on tv.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007

I'm with you. As much as I love college football I see what was great about it being destroyed. What made college football unique and exciting was the rich tradition including the bowl system. That has been completely destroyed now. It started with too many bowls in which all you had to have was a .500 record. I blame ESPN who needs to fill 24 hours of tv time and a generation that grew up expecting a trophy just for participating . These same two forces pushed for a play off. Once that happened college football is changed forever. Guess I'm just old , but the magic is gone and I concide football to a new generation that demands each team score at least 50 points a game and a play off that will be expanded one day to 120 teams so no gets their feelings hurt.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Is this an end to the "Coliseum" where regular people can go see sporting events and be entertained? I actually foresee a day were games will be played without a live crowd. All on Television and Internet.
the Super Bowl is already like that. there aren't many common folk who can afford tickets. The prices for the college playoff are reaching Super Bowl price levels. College Bowl games are already heavily corporate sponsored events. I remember when it was just the Sugar Bowl.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
It occurs to me that the young people who love the glitzed out uniforms and are bored to tears by a game that does not beat the over/under will just tell me the game has passed me by and they have no intention of getting off my lawn! Meanwhile, I suppose I will start looking for a comfy, low mileage Hov-A-Round while getting used to the love of high school football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Found this from Florida Athletic Director Jeremy Foley:

Q: How does the autonomy legislation for the Power Five conferences that passed at the NCAA Convention immediately impact the University of Florida?

A: The cost of attendance that passed is obviously an opportunity for us to do something that we've all talked about for our student-athletes for a number of years now. In essence, it increases the value of their scholarship. There's going to be a financial impact for us, a little over a million dollars. But it's money well spent and certainly I think the new autonomy structure has allowed that to happen. It excites us that we had the flexibility to do something like that, and I'm sure there will be more changes in the future.
Say adios to the little schools. No way they handle that million dollars a year.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I wish the NFL would create a minor league system so college football could be what it was supposed to be- student athletes representing their school in a game they love and getting a free education as a reward. I gave up pro sports long ago, but I hope I can continue my interest in college athletics.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.