Tuscaloosa's Deontay Wilder wins World Heavyweight Championship!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Wilder is really good, but hasn't fought anybody in the same zip code as Klitschko, and it isn't even close.

I'm not saying he can't/won't win, but Stiverne isn't even in the same league as Klitschko. I'd love to see the fight happen, though.
But Wlad has a suspect chin. Ever decent Heavyweight he has fought has either knocked him down or knocked him out. They say he is past that but I doubt it. Deontay would certainly test the theory. He is though an outstanding boxer. If I were DW I wouldn't just dive in there quite yet. He get all quality opponents he'd like now that he has the hardware.

It is cool having a World Champ from my hometown though :)

Bhammer

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007
Birmingham
More of a UFC fan but I watched it last night on Showtime and he looked awfully good. Tall and rangy with a good jab and a powerful straight right. Stiverne is built like a tree stump and has a chin like one too. He ate a lot of shots and kept pressing forward but Deontay was clearly the better fighter. Very happy for him.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
That is what they were saying about Deontay before he fought Stiverne. They also said that he couldn't box, jab, take a punch or go deep into a fight.
I'm not discounting Wilder, just stating the fact that beating Stiverne is not the pinnacle of Heavyweight boxing.

But Wlad has a suspect chin. Ever decent Heavyweight he has fought has either knocked him down or knocked him out. They say he is past that but I doubt it. Deontay would certainly test the theory. He is though an outstanding boxer. If I were DW I wouldn't just dive in there quite yet. He get all quality opponents he'd like now that he has the hardware.

It is cool having a World Champ from my hometown though :)
I agree with this, and that's why I said if I had to fight a Klitschko, it would be Wladimir. Wladimir is the more physically talented, but Vitali had an iron chin and can/will box or fight inside and brawl. Vitali was beating the brakes off Lennox Lewis in 2003 before the fight was called because of a cut. Lewis subsequently retired to keep from having to face him again, after promising him a rematch.

Wladimir is 38, and is surely close to retirement age (in boxing), so Wilder certainly has a puncher's chance, as they say.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Wilder is really good, but hasn't fought anybody in the same zip code as Klitschko, and it isn't even close. I'm not saying he can't/won't win, but Stiverne isn't even in the same league as Klitschko. I'd love to see the fight happen, though.
Buster Douglas says Hi.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
He has got an opportunity to be something really special if he can just control who is in his network. Keep good friends and avoid bad women and he should be okay. He will be marketing magnet just for sticking to his roots. That appeals to a lot of consumers today.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
He has got an opportunity to be something really special if he can just control who is in his network. Keep good friends and avoid bad women and he should be okay. He will be marketing magnet just for sticking to his roots. That appeals to a lot of consumers today.
This. I really hope he can keep his wits about him. If he does, he can set himself and his family up for life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.