Tuscaloosa's Deontay Wilder wins World Heavyweight Championship!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I know this isn't really a football topic, but Deontay does claim that his dream growing up was to play football for the Tide.
Deontay Wilder of Tuscaloosa...the new World Heavyweight Boxing Champion....Very big news!
I guess Tuscaloosa is still "Title Town".
Roll Tide and congrats to a great guy!

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Thanks for sharing. After seeing this I had to read about the fight. It has been a long time since I read about an American boxer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I watched the fight and couldn't believe it.He proved everyone wrong.I haven't been this excited about a Boxer since Holyfield in his prime.

They had a great segment last night talking about his relationship with coach Saban and his love for the Crimson Tide.

I'm sure Saban is proud of him.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It's good to see him win the belt. I wonder if they will match him up with Wladimir Klitschko to unify the title. Klitschko holds every other heavyweight belts. The WBC belt was vacated by Vitali Klitschko, which how Stiverne got it. Vitali and Wladimir would not fight, being brothers, so the WBC belt has been un-unified a long time.

If I had to fight a Klitschko, I'd want to fight Wladimir, so maybe Wilder can be the first American Heavyweight champ to hold all the major belts since Riddick Bowe.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Wilder made about $1 million for this fight. Going in a lot of people didn't think he could take punches or go the distance. He did both. His next fight will probably be Tyson. If he gets a fight with the Russian he'll be set for life - it will be perhaps the biggest purse in boxing history.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Not a big boxing fan, but I'm happy for him and his trainers (Skyy Boxing Gym). I went to school with Jay (Deas) at Chipola in Marianna. Great bunch of people.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Wilder is a great guy and a wonderful example of perseverance. If I were Wlad I wouldn't want to be in the same area code as Deontay. That is really the ONLY fight people want to see in the Heavyweight div. I hope Deontay can ink a deal and cash out because that might be his only BIG payday.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Wilder made about $1 million for this fight. Going in a lot of people didn't think he could take punches or go the distance. He did both. His next fight will probably be Tyson. If he gets a fight with the Russian he'll be set for life - it will be perhaps the biggest purse in boxing history.
Who are you talking about? Tyson Fury? What Russian?

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Wilder is really good, but hasn't fought anybody in the same zip code as Klitschko, and it isn't even close.I'm not saying he can't/won't win, but Stiverne isn't even in the same league as Klitschko. I'd love to see the fight happen, though.
That is what they were saying about Deontay before he fought Stiverne. They also said that he couldn't box, jab, take a punch or go deep into a fight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.