Alabama Wins Iron Cup Again.

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Our hockey team is ranked in the top 10 in division 3 club hockey this season. If I'm not mistaken the division 3 national championship is being held in Pelham this year! Roll Frozen Tide Roll!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Arizona State is starting a varsity hockey program. It would be cool if we did that, mainly because it would tick off the people at the school without football.

But while we would have one in state rival to help some on travel, I don't see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Goal Tide. Alabama has a good program. API, not so much. The Frozen Tide hasn't lost at home this year and is currently ranked second in their "league". If they stay in the top 2, they automatically make the playoffs without a play in round. Still a few games to go, but a great showing by this year's team.

And yes, Arkansas is (and should) move up. So should Alabama. Big drawback for the Frozen Tide is that their "home" ice is in Pelham. If there was a rink in Tuscaloosa, they'd already be looking at it, I believe. Might make for a very interesting University/City/County project. Frozen Tide gets priority for practice and its season, otherwise, it's a community rink for open skating, youth hockey leagues, figure skating clubs....

Tide-one-on

All-SEC
Aug 14, 2003
Pensacola, FL 32514
Roll Tide and Congrats! Love me some hockey. My son had a hockey tournament in Huntsville this past weekend. Would liked to have caught a game but our schedule didn't work out. We live in Pensacola and who would have thought hockey could exist in the south!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
What is the difference in the levels of club hockey? I am assuming the talent level varies, but is there more to it than that? Are all the SEC club teams in the same group?

I agree an ice rink in Tuscaloosa would be great for the team and the community as a whole. But I don't know enough to say if such a place would be financially viable.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I went out to the game on Saturday night with some friends and we had a great time. The Pelham Civic Complex is a great place for this event and for the team. The Main Arena has close to 3,000 seats and the there had to be about 2,500 in attendance. If Tuscaloosa wanted to build something for the team, they would need to build not only a rink but a rink with seating capacity for 2,000 to 3,000 people.

You can read more about The Frozen Tide here: http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=bamahockey&s=hockey&t=c

Bamaparrotheads

3rd Team
Jan 27, 2011
Madison, AL
What is the difference in the levels of club hockey? I am assuming the talent level varies, but is there more to it than that? Are all the SEC club teams in the same group?

I agree an ice rink in Tuscaloosa would be great for the team and the community as a whole. But I don't know enough to say if such a place would be financially viable.
Yes, talent level is a bit higher, but not sure what all the criteria are. Arky will leave the SECHC when they move up.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Good Lord one of the reasons I've sooooooo enjoyed following Alabama football over the years is because it's SUCH a nice diversion from the hockey craziness which surrounds me up here.

So now y'all are reeeeeeeeeeally messin' w my head...

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The Alabama hockey team improves their record against auburn to 14-0, winning the Iron Cup. Roll Tide!
Unless someone tells them that you don't play hockey with a garden hoe, that trend will continue.........:biggrin:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/alabama_frozen_tide_hockey_tea_1.html#incart_river

I don't know how serious they are about moving up to varsity status, but this shows they do want to compete on a higher level. Good luck to them.
I think they are very serious about making Hockey a varsity sport. They are following the same plan of action that Penn St & Arizona St used to eventually move to NCAA Div 1 hockey! Wouldn't it be cool to be the first SEC school to field a NCAA Div 1 hockey team. They will be playing in the ACHA Div 3 National Championship Tourney being held at the Pelham rink March 10-14. Roll Frozen Tide Roll!

Last edited:

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
Good Lord one of the reasons I've sooooooo enjoyed following Alabama football over the years is because it's SUCH a nice diversion from the hockey craziness which surrounds me up here.

So now y'all are reeeeeeeeeeally messin' w my head...
Hey Rush, I totally agree with you ! Same for me here up north ! The Sens, The Canadiens, The Nordiques...Can I have a break !!!

Question : where do these hockey players come from ? From the northern states ? From Canada ??? As a hockey player, I'm just curious.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.