5 year old billed for not showing up to birthday party

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
They tried to, but apparently didn't know this family well and didn't have a contact number.

If you're petty enough that you need to 'teach the parents a lesson' in a situation like this, I'm betting you don't have many friends.
As I said before, sometimes cancellations cant be avoided but if it were me, I would have made a little more effort to contact the BD kids parents so they would not be out the approx $30 for nothing. I guess thats just me. And I'm also guessing that I would probably be better off without friends like that. And based on this -
" And so on the day of the party we asked Alex what he wanted to do - he chose to be with his grandparents"
it seems like they really didn't give too much of a crap and I would rate that as being somewhat inconsiderate.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
As I said before, sometimes cancellations cant be avoided but if it were me, I would have made a little more effort to contact the BD kids parents so they would not be out the approx $30 for nothing. I guess thats just me. And I'm also guessing that I would probably be better off without friends like that. And based on this - it seems like they really didn't give too much of a crap and I would rate that as being somewhat inconsiderate.
When I was 8 or so, I was invited to a friend's house for a Saturday afternoon, and agreed to go. This was an unusual occurrence for me, as it was a very small private school and most of us lived too far apart from each other to ride bikes in between, and this was back in the day when the kids generally made their own fun instead of having activities scheduled for them, and my normal weekend was spent either watching cartoons and playing video games or tagging along with my dad wherever he went.

On the day I was supposed to go over, I felt like doing something else and so I said I didn't want to go. Well, that was tough noogies for me because everybody else had already planned around me being over there. So I went and had fun, and forgot completely about why I didn't want to go.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As I said before, sometimes cancellations cant be avoided but if it were me, I would have made a little more effort to contact the BD kids parents so they would not be out the approx $30 for nothing. I guess thats just me. And I'm also guessing that I would probably be better off without friends like that. And based on this - it seems like they really didn't give too much of a crap and I would rate that as being somewhat inconsiderate.
The parents scheduling such an expensive bday party that someone missing is going to cause an issue is a "you" problem. I'm a parent of four kids and I've attended and put on birthday parties for years now. Birthday parties that we do and go to are more of a "if you can make it fine, if not fine, no biggie". My wife and I have learned to put them into perspective. Obviously this parent hasn't learned that.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I agree, all no shows are rude, inconsiderate, and expensive. Be that as it may, it's not a lawsuit.

When my daughter has a birthday she sends invitations and some kids come and some don't but definitely not RSVP. It's a kids birthday party for heaven's sake.

This mornings no show in my office was my attorney's wife! Whad are ya gonna do ... eh?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
FWIW, to sum up my feelings:
If I were the party giver I would have let it drop and did nothing about no shows, BUT, I understand their feelings
If I were the parents of the no show, I would have been more considerate and made much more of an effort to cancel my previous acceptance. Its the considerate thing to do.

Any idea however of "small claims action" is ridiculous. Drop it, learn and move on.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Pay the invoice in pennies or pence, whatever the British equivalent is, frozen in ice. 30$ is stupid to argue over and a waste of small claims court.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
My dentist in Birmingham used to charge for not giving 24 hour notice. He stopped doing that when too many people complained.
I have no problem complying with the policy.

My dentist and dermatologist in the Houston area do the same. So, the dentist who responded earlier needs to do the same thing. Just give them an information sheet that they sign showing that they understand your policies. You have employees to pay. You have a business to do business!

They are in business to help people needing help with their teeth, skin, heart, etc. and not in business to pay their employees to twiddle their thumbs when someone
doesn't call or show up for an appointment. If you are not going to show up for an appointment, then don't make the appointment.

Same goes for a reserved area for a birthday party.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.