Link: Number of underclassmen in NFL draft dropped this year.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Bama will continue to lose guys as long as the ones that leave are successful. Overall, though, many early entrants don't make any money. 30% of last year's early entrants didn't receive a single regular season NFL paycheck.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Bama will continue to lose guys as long as the ones that leave are successful. Overall, though, many early entrants don't make any money. 30% of last year's early entrants didn't receive a single regular season NFL paycheck.

that's nuts. Hopefully at least a few of the early entrants were guys with degrees to fall back on, but I worry that many were not...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It's good news the number went down. It seems like we get a double whammy with guys leaving early. It hurts when they do, but it's made worse because their positions are often ones that could especially use the extra year learning, and are the most difficult positions to replace.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
we average 3-5 per year for underclassmen at Alabama... We've taken lot of hits with players that are senior or already had degrees.. I think next year, will be real rough:
Senior: Cyrus Jones, Domerick Jackson, DJ Pettway, Denzel Devall, Reggie Ragland, Jarran Reed, Geno Smith, Jacob Coker and Kenyan Drake <-- This is huge because those are players that are going to play a lot next year.

Jr:A'shawn Robinson, Chris Black, Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Eddie Jackson, Jonathan Allen, Dee Liner and Anyone on WRs having big year... Those are possibilities that could leave early... players that will get lot of playing time and if having great season, they're gone.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
we average 3-5 per year for underclassmen at Alabama... We've taken lot of hits with players that are senior or already had degrees.. I think next year, will be real rough:
Senior: Cyrus Jones, Domerick Jackson, DJ Pettway, Denzel Devall, Reggie Ragland, Jarran Reed, Geno Smith, Jacob Coker and Kenyan Drake <-- This is huge because those are players that are going to play a lot next year.

Jr:A'shawn Robinson, Chris Black, Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Eddie Jackson, Jonathan Allen, Dee Liner and Anyone on WRs having big year... Those are possibilities that could leave early... players that will get lot of playing time and if having great season, they're gone.
Hard to predict this early but your right, next year could be bad. Probably could Ryan Anderson to that list too

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
i don't even want to think about 2016.
I do but I'm not breaking the rules about politics on here. Anyways this should serve as a lesson that some underclassmen need to stay in school another year instead of chasing the money. Especially if you're not a 1-3 rounder.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We have lot of Freshmen and Sophomore folks that are real good, and can hurt us in 2016... But that's why I think CNS is kinda recuiting extra this year and next year to fix that... with large # of players that could go between 1-3... Saban wouldn't necessary tell them to stay if the draft projection is very good for them.
I do but I'm not breaking the rules about politics on here. Anyways this should serve as a lesson that some underclassmen need to stay in school another year instead of chasing the money. Especially if you're not a 1-3 rounder.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I realize the Returning Starters list leaves a lot of room for discussion, but Bama's has been nothing to write home about since 2011 when that number was at 17. There were 11 in 2012, 13 in 2013, 12 in 2014, and now, once again, just 11 in 2015.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Needs to be a trend. My bet would be that the 30% never see a regular season NFL paycheck will at least hold steady. That's a lot of young men who could at least have played another season of college ball and improved themselves academically.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
It must be a hard decision to return to school with so many hangers-on telling a player how great they are and how an NFL paycheck will help these [hangers-on]. Have to admit I like Saban's approach that if they are not deemed a lock for the first round, then they should return to school -- possibly RBs excluded as their general stock has gone down.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
It must be a hard decision to return to school with so many hangers-on telling a player how great they are and how an NFL paycheck will help these [hangers-on]. Have to admit I like Saban's approach that if they are not deemed a lock for the first round, then they should return to school -- possibly RBs excluded as their general stock has gone down.
Yeah I'd say RB's are the only exception....and maybe WR's as well depending on their situation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.