"American Sniper"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If the movie is true to the events
It's mostly true. The muslim sniper didn't exist, at least not to the degree he did in the film. He's mentioned only once in the book, I think. The 2,100 yard kill shot was on a 'random' guy with an RPG about to attack some Marines.

But overall, people who knew him say it's pretty close to accurate. While Kyle came back with some serious issues (PTSD as well as his embellishment or complete manufacture of stories about himself stateside) - but that shouldn't diminish his sacrifice. He was a true hero.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep like Brad said it was pretty well done in terms of accuracy. The sniper was pumped up more to give Kyle a nemisis in the movie.

I beg you to get the book. He explains everything in the book, and a lot of the book you see in the movie. I watched it Sunday before I had to pack to go up North. It set me behind but well worth it. Be ready for a dead silent theatre at the end.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I will add only this: former SEALs would probably do well to keep more of their exploits under their hat. Lately there has been a considerable amount of public self-congratulation (understandably given the achievements), but too much publicity is bad for the current operators.
The Special Operations community used to be referred to as "Quiet Professionals." A little more "quiet" might not be amiss.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I will add only this: former SEALs would probably do well to keep more of their exploits under their hat. Lately there has been a considerable amount of public self-congratulation (understandably given the achievements), but too much publicity is bad for the current operators.
The Special Operations community used to be referred to as "Quiet Professionals." A little more "quiet" might not be amiss.
Well you know what they say. Join the SEALs and make a movie!

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Yeah, it is a bit extreme, but I look at it from a "greater good" viewpoint.

I'm convinced the world would be a far better place if these folks suddenly ceased to exist.

Or even better, if they had never existed at all.
I'll fulfill Godwin's law by saying that this sounds like something Adolf Hitler would say. Literally.
And, I think it's the central ideology of ISIS, Boko Haram, and their friends.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'll fulfill Godwin's law by saying that this sounds like something Adolf Hitler would say. Literally.
And, I think it's the central ideology of ISIS, Boko Haram, and their friends.
Far from it, I'm not advocating genocide or spewing hatred towards millions of people. I'm just saying that these people are warts on the face of humanity.

Can you really make a valid argument that the world has benefitted from their presence upon it?

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Far from it, I'm not advocating genocide or spewing hatred towards millions of people. I'm just saying that these people are warts on the face of humanity.

Can you really make a valid argument that the world has benefitted from their presence upon it?
I'm not even trying to argue that. Just that they shouldn't be targeted by SEALs. I do not like President Obama at all, but I am a huge advocate of his life being protected.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'm not even trying to argue that. Just that they shouldn't be targeted by SEALs. I do not like President Obama at all, but I am a huge advocate of his life being protected.

Why?

He has caused immeasurable damage to our country already and 2 more years as a lame duck POTUS for him could be even worse..........if possible.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
[/U]

Why?

He has caused immeasurable damage to our country already and 2 more years as a lame duck POTUS for him could be even worse..........if possible.
I'm just going to bow out here. If I have to explain why I want our President to continue being alive, I just don't know how to continue.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Why don't we all just start killing everyone we don't like?
Please point out to me where I suggested such a thing. I merely pointed out that the world would be better off without them.

Most folks have similar feelings towards a LOT of people, but they're just won't admit it because they're petrified of the PC police.

I'm not phony like that.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Please point out to me where I suggested such a thing. I merely pointed out that the world would be better off without them.

Most folks have similar feelings towards a LOT of people, but they're just won't admit it because they're petrified of the PC police.

I'm not phony like that.
How'd you know my nickname was Mr. Phony?:)

No problem here TommyMac. I imagine a lot of people have those feelings.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.