"American Sniper"

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I am going to see it tonight. Just based on most of the reviews, it's excellent as a story of the humanity of war as well as an accurate portrayal that's not always seen on the nightly news.

And Michael Moore has predictably blasted it, so it must have overwhelming redeeming qualities. :)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Saw it last night.

Sobering. When the movie ended it was dead quiet - no one said a word, not even while exiting.

I'm not a fan of the Iraq war, but Chris Kyle's story is moving.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Saw it earlier this weekend and thought it was a very good adaptation of the book. Same reaction at the end of the movie in the theater here: extremely quiet.

I wish the movie would have captured more of the bureaucratic and legalistic nature of America at war. Writing reports for every shooting. The enemy learning that they can file complaints and have snipers benched while the military conducts its investigation. Chris Kyle rightly pointed out how stupid government policy often is.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am going to see it tonight. Just based on most of the reviews, it's excellent as a story of the humanity of war as well as an accurate portrayal that's not always seen on the nightly news.

And Michael Moore has predictably blasted it, so it must have overwhelming redeeming qualities. :)

that is enough for me to see it

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Michael Moore is so fat he counts as two trolls.
Seth Rogen has compared the movie to Nazi propaganda. Talk about an ungrateful piece of crap. People supported his crappy stoner movie when it got banned and he does this? Rogen has actually managed to make me hate a person more than Michael Moore.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You don't think he as a point? Do both glorify killing the enemy? I haven't watched it, and will probably read the book first.
I don't think the movie glorifies killing the enemy at all - in fact, much of the story involves how his work affects him, and it's not positive.

Maybe you should see the movie or read the book before assuming Rogan is making a point worth discussing.

ETA: I'm in no way a jingoist, nor am I someone who thinks war is 'cool'. I honestly doubt anyone who sees this movie will find anything about his work 'sexy'...

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Because that's such a common topic of discussion, just pure coincidence that American Sniper just opened...
So they make a movie about someone and I comment that that particular person portrayed in the movie was someone I didn't like, that's me saying the movie was garbage?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So they make a movie about someone and I comment that that particular person portrayed in the movie was someone I didn't like, that's me saying the movie was garbage?
I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote.

My sarcasm was (an attempt to) make the point that despite his protests otherwise, MM was obviously talking about American Sniper.

Unless you believe he was just randomly talking about snipers because that's such a common topic...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
From his Facebook post that some left wing friend of mine liked and I had to see.

Most of us were taught the story of Jesse James and that the scoundrel wasn't James (who was a criminal who killed people) but rather the sniper who shot him in the back. I think most Americans don't think snipers are heroes.
I don't know the whole story of James' death, but whoever killed him did the world a favor.

My full views on Moore's comments would get me banned.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Color me puzzled also. I can't see where anyone attributed saying the movie was garbage to Moore. In fact, in his partial retraction, he states he wasn't talking about Kyle. I personally think he's about half drunk every time he makes a public statement...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
From his Facebook post that some left wing friend of mine liked and I had to see.

I don't know the whole story of James' death, but whoever killed him did the world a favor.

My full views on Moore's comments would get me banned.
Jesse James was shot in the back by a member of his gang who pretended to be his friend. This guy then shot James to become famous for shooting Jesse James. Jesse James was a thief and murderer and the guy did the world a favor. The "scoundrel" comment is based on a crappy movie starring Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.

I am guessing most snipers don't pretend to be the targets friend and none of them do it for fame.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I would recommend the movie. CA is right - War is not sexy and there's not a moment when the audience is cheering for the good guys. This isn't Rambo or Chuck Norris taking out a North Vietnamese torture camp with his bare hands.

The film showed various ways how the battlefield affects a soldier. The second scene when Kyle had to make a decision on the kid with the RPG was very moving.

I got the same reaction from our audience. At the end the moviegoers filed out one by one without saying a word. I haven't seen that since "Saving Private Ryan."

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Lol @ VJ.....Hang in there brother, don't let the trolls bring you down...

"Christ Almighty, I feel like I'm playin cards with my brother's kids"

- Billy Bob Thornton in "Tombstone"

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.