"American Sniper"

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Jesse James was shot in the back by a member of his gang who pretended to be his friend. This guy then shot James to become famous for shooting Jesse James. Jesse James was a thief and murderer and the guy did the world a favor. The "scoundrel" comment is based on a crappy movie starring Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck.

I am guessing most snipers don't pretend to be the targets friend and none of them do it for fame.
It has one of the best soundtracks ever made

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It sounds like the guy who killed James was a but if a weasel, but if it saved lives then I have no problem with what he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX
I saw the limited release here in Dallas on the Saturday after Christmas. Same thing as others have mentioned. As the film ended and the ending montage played, no one said a word and not one person got up to leave. Once it was over everyone left the theater in silence.

And for our architect friend, I liked the The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Casey Affleck played a brooding sycophantic moron to perfection.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think the last group of people I'd want to tick off would be professional snipers. That's to you Moore, you fat, self-indulgent, America-hating slob. Do y'all really like being in "crosshairs"? My friend was a sniper in Afghanistan and the last place you want to find yourself is in one their scopes. Take solace though, if you ever are, you'll never know it. Besides, they wouldn't waste the bullet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To call the guy who killed Jesse James a "sniper" is to not even know what a sniper is.

He was a killer and James had a hideout in my Dad's neck of the woods in Missouri. Shooting somebody in the back was considered about as cowardly an act as one could do.

Well, except for Bin Laden throwing one of his girls towards the Navy SEALS there to kill him.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Saw it earlier this weekend and thought it was a very good adaptation of the book. Same reaction at the end of the movie in the theater here: extremely quiet.

I wish the movie would have captured more of the bureaucratic and legalistic nature of America at war. Writing reports for every shooting. The enemy learning that they can file complaints and have snipers benched while the military conducts its investigation. Chris Kyle rightly pointed out how stupid government policy often is.
wait, what, really? We actually suspend people? What?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To call the guy who killed Jesse James a "sniper" is to not even know what a sniper is.

He was a killer and James had a hideout in my Dad's neck of the woods in Missouri. Shooting somebody in the back was considered about as cowardly an act as one could do.

Well, except for Bin Laden throwing one of his girls towards the Navy SEALS there to kill him.
There's interesting contradiction with Bin Laden, and I mean among the SEALs who have spoken to it. The first guy, who wrote the book I read, was quite emphatic that the first mission was to take him alive. I've read about others who've said that there was no way Bin Laden left except feet first. I think one of them said that BL might have had a suicide vest on. All in all, it doesn't appear that he was really given a chance to surrender, which makes me doubt other aspects of the original book, which have been disputed by other members of the team. It's my personal belief that what happened was the best possible outcome for us. Anything we did with him would have made him a martyr, and burying him at sea removed the possibility that his grave could become the object of pilgrimages...

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
wait, what, really? We actually suspend people? What?
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

It's mentioned more detail in the book and is only a brief scene in the movie. Basically, the enemy has learned that accusing troops of abuse is a way to potentially hinder the US mission. Kill an enemy who is about to fire a RPG at Marines or shoot a kid who is walking toward the troops with a grenade ... be prepared to hear of complaints that the dearly departed was really just holding a Koran or just a kid playing in the yard. If the complaint gets traction within the legal/military bureaucracy, the accused troops often have to stand down while the investigation is ongoing. The enemy has learned to play the game - through the media, through anti-military members of Congress, or through military legal teams. Like everyone else, they respond to the incentives the US government provides.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I saw the movie yesterday. I don't see how any rational person could interpret the main theme of the movie as anything other than war is horrific and the effect it has on people (regardless of which side of the conflict one is on) is probably the worst thing humans can do to each other.

If the movie is true to the events, and I don't know if it is or isn't, Chief Kyle was an American hero who placed the welfare of others above his own, and even above his family's. There's a very telling scene early in the movie when Kyle is just a kid.....his father is teaching Kyle and his brother that there are 3 kinds of people in the world........I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen the movie yet, but it seems to me that lesson stuck with Kyle his entire life.

Regardless of your political leanings, it is an extremely well made movie.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.