News Article: Scientists Say The NFL's 'Deflate-Gate' Isn't All Hot Air

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
NPR:

Scientists Say The NFL's 'Deflate-Gate' Isn't All Hot Air

"Deflating the ball does give a team an advantage," says materials scientist Ainissa Ramirez, the author of Newton's Football, a book about the science of football. Ramirez says the slightly softer football improves the grip.
Being a Dolphins fan, I have to say I have no love for the Pats. The thing that bothers me is that the officials handle the football after every play, so how could they not tell that the ball was more deflated than normal?

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It would be interesting to view videos and photos from the game to see if any deflation tactics were caught on film.
How does an official handle the football every play and not have the slightest clue?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the Pats cheated, we may never know. I don't care for the Pats, but I don't see any evidence that the Pats did this - just that it was done.

Unless someone in the Patriots organization admits to this, I am not sure how the league can punish them. Yes, the ball are deflated - 3 days after the game. I doubt that they have been under lock and key for that entire time.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Good thread, Lance.

Brady said the idea was "ridiculous, and Belichik said the news report was the first he'd heard about it.

Perhaps if they'd declared they were trying to bend the rules to gain a slight advantage, they may get a little less criticism and scrutiny for coming clean.

11 of 12 balls underinflated by two pounds each?

Then again, maybe they're telling the truth.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I just find it hard to believe that the officials went through the whole game and not one time did they notice the difference between the game balls used by both teams if the Colts had game balls that were 2 lbs. heavier than the Pats. It's just strange that a "seasoned" official wouldn't stop and say, "Gee Irv, the game balls for the Pats are a bit more squishier than the ones that the Colts are using." I just don't get it!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just find it hard to believe that the officials went through the whole game and not one time did they notice the difference between the game balls used by both teams if the Colts had game balls that were 2 lbs. heavier than the Pats. It's just strange that a "seasoned" official wouldn't stop and say, "Gee Irv, the game balls for the Pats are a bit more squishier than the ones that the Colts are using." I just don't get it!
The balls were weighed at halftime and re-inflated. Then, they were weighed after the game.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Next thing you know the Pats will have someone drive out a snow plow to clear a spot for a winning Field Goal.....Wait!

For those that don't remember:

Snow Plow Game

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The balls were weighed at halftime and re-inflated. Then, they were weighed after the game.
With everything else the referees have to keep their eyes on, I don't think they're squishing the balls between plays. On the other hand, if the Colts had been tipped off by the Ravens about the Pats' doing this, they probably were looking for it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With everything else the referees have to keep their eyes on, I don't think they're squishing the balls between plays. On the other hand, if the Colts had been tipped off by the Ravens about the Pats' doing this, they probably were looking for it.
Harbaugh said yesterday he no reason to believe the Patriots used deflated balls against them the previous week. Colts LB D'Qwell Jackson is the one who noticed it when he intercepted a pass during the second quarter. One thing I read this week:

But I have to say this: One thing I'm told is the Colts felt the Patriots have done this before and that is why Jackson, a source says, reacted so quickly about the football. The Colts may deny it, but they have told other teams this.
Note this was written Tuesday prior to more information coming out, which is why Freeman says he doesn't believe it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, things got even weirder yesterday after D'Qwell Jackson did an interview at the Pro Bowl. Link

Just when you thought deflategate couldn’t get any more involved or ridiculous, here’s some more!

The Colts D’Qwell Jackson, who intercepted a Tom Brady pass in the first half of the AFC Championship, gave an interview with NFL.com in which he said he didn’t realize the ball he intercepted in the first half had anything less than normal pressure.
When Belichick spoke yesterday, he commented he makes the ball has difficult to handle as possible to prepare the players for any situation. Brady said he didn't notice a difference. Michael Smith was on Mike & Mike this morning and made a good point. As long as Brady has played for Belichick, he would have gone through plenty of drills by Belichick to prepare for the various situations. Therefore, he honestly could have not been able to tell the difference.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the point here is that 11 of the 12 balls were materially under inflated. The odds of of that many balls all losing air on their own after the refs checked them before the game is slim to none. The Spygate episode is doing them no favors now in the court of public opinion. But unless they can prove the team had knowledge of the balls being under inflated or that they actually did it. I don't see what they can really do to them.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The new "Bradying" - wearing a silly wool knit cap when getting grilled by the press.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The general consensus among current and former players, and practically the whole civilized world outside of New England, is that Brady is being less than forthcoming.

With him at the tail end of his productive career as a QB, this is not a good way to be remembered.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.