Baylor Almost Won National Championship

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Three votes seems really close until you hear that the vote was supposedly 8-4. If that were an election, being outvoted 2-1 is called a landslide.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Baylor and TCU are the co champion of the "People's National Championship" for 2015.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Baylor and TCU are the co champion of the "People's National Championship" for 2015.
TCU has been great through this whole thing. They went out and destroyed their opponent in their bowl game and let that do their talking.

Baylor and Briles have acted like children, and it started with the hiring of the PR firm to make their case. Briles has shown his true character through this. You learn a lot about a person when you see how they deal with adversity. The real Briles has been revealed.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me reiterate what I've said a dozen times:

IF BAYLOR HAD BEATEN WEST VIRGINIA, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE PLAYOFF!!!!!

On a related note, Baylor blew a huge lead AND LOST against a Michigan St team that BOTH Oregon AND Ohio State routed.......and they lost to a WVA team that TCU and Alabama BOTH beat.

One simply cannot argue for Baylor for the playoff with ANY level of sense at all.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
TCU has been great through this whole thing. They went out and destroyed their opponent in their bowl game and let that do their talking.

Baylor and Briles have acted like children, and it started with the hiring of the PR firm to make their case. Briles has shown his true character through this. You learn a lot about a person when you see how they deal with adversity. The real Briles has been revealed.
I thought all along that the whinning and complaining would harm bowl practice attitudes. They were focused on complaining instead of knuckling down. Briles surprised me too. I thought he was a better man.

jef0071

Suspended
Dec 19, 2005
Hewitt, Texas, United States
baylor<tcu...tcu has no room to talk about the playoff. they werent conference champions. osu proved they belong by winning the whole thing. using this bowl game to slam baylor is about as retarded as using last years sugar bowl vs oklahoma to prove ALABAMA wasnt as great as everyone thought. bowl games are nothing more than over hyped scrimmages, some teams come out swinging and wanna make a statement; while others just dont care. if ALABAMA had played CHOKElahoma in the regular season last year or in the championship game, ALABAM woulda destroyed them. you cant make any type of judgement off a bowl game...and what tcu did to ole miss was blown way outta prportion, this wasnt the same ole miss team from earlier in the year. ole miss was without their #1 guy and had nothing to prove; tcu had everything to prove...and everyone that thinks patterson is a standup guy has no clue about him. this dude is as much a POS as CUM....patterson runs the score up on people. the ole miss game is proof of that and so is the texas game. patterson is as classless as they come, dont be fooled by him. id take briles over patterson every day of the week...Roll Tide!!!

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
If you want to see true hate for Art Briles take trip over to the Texas fan site, shaggybevo, but do not link back here. It's both hilarious and vulgar.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
To me, this is a life lesson.

Patterson took the high road, accepted the bowl game and proceeded to beat the brakes off Ole Miss
Briles complained and insulted the voters, played in the bowl game when he thought they deserved better and got beat by Michigan State.

Patterson's team walked the walk and let their playing do the talking. TCU might not have beaten Ohio State but they darned sure would have given Oregon a run for their money and likely beat them. To me they finish easily at #2. There is no way I'll be convinced that Briles did not let this affect his coaching into the bowl game. You decide who came out ahead here.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Now now...Clearly, Baylor is a better team than OSU & should've been there so they could've beaten Bama & pounded Oregon.. I mean, they're a lot like OSU. Well, except for the gigantic, physically impressive QB. And the studs on both sides of the line. And the smash-mouth type of approach to offense. And the VERY impressive running back. Oh, and the smothering defense. And their ability to close out a game in the 4th quarter. Other than those nitpicky little details, Baylor is just like OSU & would've had similar results in the playoffs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This post may take the cake for irony.....in fact, it's DOUBLE irony......

I'm about to have more fun than the law allows. Here's some advice - I remember EVERYTHING, okay? So let's take a look.

baylor<tcu...tcu has no room to talk about the playoff.
TCU isn't the one talking, Baylor is - in case you didn't notice.

they werent conference champions.
Actually, they WERE.

osu proved they belong by winning the whole thing.

Now given your rather all over the place argument that follows, I'm shaking my head in disbelief, especially since it was only five weeks ago you said this:

i will ask this....who did ohio state beat? ohio state doesnt belong in the four team playoff. they beaten anyone, and have a worse loss than anyone else in the discussion. ohio state is there only because of their lame name. big 10 sucks; and has sucked for years. baylor and tcu both would destroy ohio state by 2TD's. Baylor is the only team that got screwed...and dont gimmie crap about a OOC schedule. the only power 5 ooc team ohio state played, they lost to...and that team sucked.
But you want an even BIGGER irony?

You posted this on a thread TELLING YOU that the Big 12 had co-champions!!!!

In fact, the very title was, "B12 Should Re-think Co-Champs."

using this bowl game to slam baylor is about as retarded as using last years sugar bowl vs oklahoma to prove ALABAMA wasnt as great as everyone thought.
I'm gonna let the insult pass except to note it for the record. However, it's funny to me that you have the bipolar view that: a) Ohio State doesn't belong; b) you can't use a bowl game to make an assessment; and c) the Sugar Bowl PROVES Ohio State DID belong!!!

Uh, do you not see a problem here? Better yet - if you had had your way, Ohio State wouldn't even be there. Now I realize the argument is going to be "but the Sugar Bowl was a playoff," but you made no such distinction and I would add that if you're allowed such a distinction then surely you realize the CRUX of my argument (which you never addressed) is the simple fact that if Baylor had BEATEN WEST VIRGINIA then they'd have been in the playoff and Ohio State would not have.

bowl games are nothing more than over hyped scrimmages, some teams come out swinging and wanna make a statement; while others just dont care. if ALABAMA had played CHOKElahoma in the regular season last year or in the championship game, ALABAM woulda destroyed them.
You don't know that and neither does anyone else. Besides - if it was an over-hyped scrimmage then why did Baylor pump out 42 points that didn't matter and then phone the game in? And why did Michigan State not bother to show up until the final eight minutes or so?

Who was making WHAT statement?

you cant make any type of judgement off a bowl game...
Fair enough - let's strip every pre-BCS national champion then because those judgments WERE made.

and what tcu did to ole miss was blown way outta prportion,
Because anybody can win, 42-3, right? Except maybe Baylor, for whom 42 points is not enough.

this wasnt the same ole miss team from earlier in the year.
That's not TCU's fault, either.

ole miss was without their #1 guy and had nothing to prove;
But you're the same guy who WILL NOT ALLOW that Ohio State's injured QB MIGHT have cost them the VT game....

Can't have it both ways.

tcu had everything to prove...and everyone that thinks patterson is a standup guy has no clue about him.
Do you and Mr Patterson frequent the same golf club or something?

this dude is as much a POS as CUM
That's gonna getcha a flag my friend.....

....patterson runs the score up on people.

Baylor 70 NW La 6
Baylor 63 Buffalo 21
Baylor 60 Kansas 14
Baylor 69 Wofford 3
Baylor 70 Buffalo 13
Baylor 70 ULM 7
Baylor 73 WVA 42
Baylor 71 Iowa St 7
Baylor 63 Texas Tech 34

Number of times TCU has scored more than 60 points in last 2 years: 1 (82 vs Texas Tech)
Number of times Bay has scored more than 60 points in last 2 years: 10 (those nine plus the 61-58 win over TCU this year, which I'll let pass)

the ole miss game is proof of that and so is the texas game.
I love your selective amnesia. You pick the only two games where TCU beat a team by significantly more than Baylor did.

You conveniently ignore:

SMU (Bay won by 45, TCU by 56)
Kansas (Bay won by 46, TCU by 4)
Oklahoma (Bay won by 34, TCU by 4)

patterson is as classless as they come, dont be fooled by him. id take briles over patterson every day of the week...Roll Tide!!!

And incidentally, you don't bother to address the WVA game, probably because TCU beat WVA and Baylor got killed.

As the title says - Baylor "almost" won the national championship. Of course, so did Mississippi State.

RdunawayTX

3rd Team
Sep 24, 2011
I live in Texas. Briles is annoying and he whines. A lot. Along with Baylor as a whole. You just don't hear it as much a few states over.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
baylor<tcu...tcu has no room to talk about the playoff. they werent conference champions. osu proved they belong by winning the whole thing. using this bowl game to slam baylor is about as retarded as using last years sugar bowl vs oklahoma to prove ALABAMA wasnt as great as everyone thought. bowl games are nothing more than over hyped scrimmages, some teams come out swinging and wanna make a statement; while others just dont care. if ALABAMA had played CHOKElahoma in the regular season last year or in the championship game, ALABAM woulda destroyed them. you cant make any type of judgement off a bowl game...and what tcu did to ole miss was blown way outta prportion, this wasnt the same ole miss team from earlier in the year. ole miss was without their #1 guy and had nothing to prove; tcu had everything to prove...and everyone that thinks patterson is a standup guy has no clue about him. this dude is as much a POS as CUM....patterson runs the score up on people. the ole miss game is proof of that and so is the texas game. patterson is as classless as they come, dont be fooled by him. id take briles over patterson every day of the week...Roll Tide!!!
You woke up Selma with this post.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.