ESPN sues Notre Dame over Police records

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The police force is established by the governing body of a private institution, but their power come from the state of Indiana. I am not comfortable saying an organization can hide behind the cloak of secrecy when they have the power to arrest and create criminal records and exercise the state's police powers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-police-records-latest-details-and-reaction

I wonder if FSU is paying attention to this? I would like to see all those records made public. What a soap opera that would make.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The police force is established by the governing body of a private institution, but their power come from the state of Indiana. I am not comfortable saying an organization can hide behind the cloak of secrecy when they have the power to arrest and create criminal records and exercise the state's police powers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...er-police-records-latest-details-and-reaction

I wonder if FSU is paying attention to this? I would like to see all those records made public. What a soap opera that would make.
And Penn State. Georgia. Ohio State.......could get interesting....

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
ESPN and Notre Dang tied up in a lawsuit. What a shame. :biggrin:

Now, if only they could drag the NCAA into the quagmire with them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I did not know that campus police could and do file state and federal charges. I always thought that they were responsible for security, but turned over suspects to the "real" police if/when official charges needed to be filed. If the former is true, I would not want my children to attend a school in which the campus police are protected by this type of cloak.

That said, I don't understand why the media has the right to everything that they are currently granted in America. They do far more harm than good in this arena, making public accusations that are often dropped or dismissed down the road. In the past, that stuff would never have seen the light of day - only close family would know that it ever happened, and they would know the FULL story.

The problem today - the damage to the reputation of the accused cannot be repaired. Perception becomes reality. The accused are tainted forever because the of the media's desire to be "first" to report at the expense of journalistic integrity or in depth reporting. In short, today's media is not like your parent's media. They have no integrity. I don't want to censure them, but I wish that they could be held more accountable for their actions. Negligence is an every day thing in their industry, and it destroys lives, but they get a pass where we would not allow any other industry the same.

/rant

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I did not know that campus police could and do file state and federal charges. I always thought that they were responsible for security, but turned over suspects to the "real" police if/when official charges needed to be filed. If the former is true, I would not want my children to attend a school in which the campus police are protected by this type of cloak.

That said, I don't understand why the media has the right to everything that they are currently granted in America. They do far more harm than good in this arena, making public accusations that are often dropped or dismissed down the road. In the past, that stuff would never have seen the light of day - only close family would know that it ever happened, and they would know the FULL story.

The problem today - the damage to the reputation of the accused cannot be repaired. Perception becomes reality. The accused are tainted forever because the of the media's desire to be "first" to report at the expense of journalistic integrity or in depth reporting. In short, today's media is not like your parent's media. They have no integrity. I don't want to censure them, but I wish that they could be held more accountable for their actions. Negligence is an every day thing in their industry, and it destroys lives, but they get a pass where we would not allow any other industry the same.

/rant
The greatest injustice of all is the headline on the FRONT PAGE decrying your guilt. A few days later the OOPS "we're sorry" retraction is buried inside in a little box on page four. This happened to a co-worker (accused of child molestation) and his rep was trashed for good. I have talked to dozens of people who saw the front page but have yet to find anyone who saw the little retraction bar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.