****Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. Hogs****

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
RTR, still like our fight regardless. We need a good 3rd big man as much as we get in foul trouble

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree. We need another big body.. Jimmy Taylor just can't stay out of foul trouble... When he's not in foul trouble.. we play well. I think we need to add a big body or two and we'll be real good team.
RTR, still like our fight regardless. We need a good 3rd big man as much as we get in foul trouble

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Some very nice things in the game tonight - had some fantastic contributions from several different players. Coleman played like a senior and was on fire. Tarrant played well and made some nice shots (consistency and shot-selection is his key). Although Hale didn't block out like he should've on the last possession, he made a Huge 3-pointer to get us to that point. We shot the ball better in this game then we have in any game during the Grant era that I can remember. We've been so close to gaining some very big "W's", but we've come up just short.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we might be able to final turn the corner with our rebounding.... We still got second chances against arkansas.

Some very nice things in the game tonight - had some fantastic contributions from several different players. Coleman played like a senior and was on fire. Tarrant played well and made some nice shots (consistency and shot-selection is his key). Although Hale didn't block out like he should've on the last possession, he made a Huge 3-pointer to get us to that point. We shot the ball better in this game then we have in any game during the Grant era that I can remember. We've been so close to gaining some very big "W's", but we've come up just short.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hope our guard play (three point shooting specifically) is a sign of these to come, but I don't know if I feel like tonight was a indication of things to come or a random anomoly.

One thing for sure, without the Trey Ball tonight we lose in regulation by 10 points.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This one hurt. My wife locked up all the knives in the house.

We played hard and played decent. With a call her or there, we win. Just unfortunate we traveled at exactly the wrong time. For those who say we need big men, we have 4. We just don't have 4 bigs who contribute. We still are too reluctant to take a shot. Do you see a pattern developing here? Freshman are too green to know better and take shots freely and confidently, then they get beaten down and they lose their confidence in their shot. Hale did it, Cooper, Randolph, so did Trevor Lacey, and numerous others.

We got out rebounded by how many.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agree RJ, I loved seeing Tarrant and Coleman putting up the shots.

I said in the game thread I haven't seen three point shooting like that in a long time...Earnest Shelton style!!!

I've grown tired of watching us milk the clock and force up contested shots in the AG era. My biggest gripe other than we don't win like we should.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My son's team missed a layup and put back at the end of the game that would have put them into overtime. Then, I got home just in time to see the last couple of seconds of regulation and see Bama lose in overtime. Yucko!

I saw so many things go wrong in the overtime including the lazy pass turnover, no calls by the refs (offensive and defensive fouls by Arkansas) and the no defense on Portis for his final score. Bama still played tough and had chances in the OT as the lead changed hands. I'm not sure if I have the game taped; I may try to watch the part I missed (entire regulation).

I was not surprised when I saw that Taylor was fouled out. I see that Bama shot 82% free throws and 50% 3-pointers. ARK had 47 to Bama's 34 rebounds.

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
First of all it was a great effort by the guys. But the number of offensive rebounds (21) and second chance points will get you beat every time. This is simply one of the worst rebounding teams I have ever seen. Especially when Taylor goes out.

Team has 3 road losses by a total of 5 points. Those games will probably be the difference in making the tourney and not. Proud of the effort- just cannot get over the hump. Feel bad for the kids. Maybe they can bounce back on Saturday. But these kind of games are sometimes hard to get over.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Effort was certainly there and we had chances, but at the end of the game we still were on the losing end. I like Grant but it seems like we keep singing the same song and we are about as good as we are going to be under him. I do know if this were happing in football we would have seen a change already.I realize that is comparing apples to oranges but there is no reason that we should not be in the dance on a regular basis , and I can not see that happening the way things are currently.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
At some point, the players have to make the difference making plays......Grant's job is to get them to the point to where they can make the play.....

They played their hearts out - I'm quite proud of them.....to be honest, I feel much better about this team....better than I've felt since J-Myke left...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
So it is the players fault, not the coach. Apparently the coach is not responsible for teaching fundamentals like rebounding and blocking out. If we at least come close to even in the rebounding, we win this one going away. Heck, if we block out on the last play we are into the 2nd OT. Basketball is a skills game of shooting, rebounding, and defense. Our guys do not have strong fundamentals other than defense.

I do think we are better than last year, but that isn't saying much. Some casual fans are just happy to see we are better, but our "better" right now just brings us up to mediocre. 6 years and we are no better off than we were at the end of CMG era. By this time Gottfried had at least been in the tourney several times and made an elite 8. Right now, we are just praying we'll make the tourney at all. We lose Saturday and we're done. You have to ask yourself, Is this really where you want our basketball program to be?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I didn't watch the whole game but I did catch enough of it to see more of the same old, same old problems that have haunted this team for years. Great effort by the kids at the end but their lack of fundamentals cost them this game before it ever started. I think a change is necessary if we ever want to get escape the mediocrity that presently envelopes the Tide.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
So it is the players fault, not the coach. Apparently the coach is not responsible for teaching fundamentals like rebounding and blocking out. If we at least come close to even in the rebounding, we win this one going away. Heck, if we block out on the last play we are into the 2nd OT. Basketball is a skills game of shooting, rebounding, and defense. Our guys do not have strong fundamentals other than defense.

I do think we are better than last year, but that isn't saying much. Some casual fans are just happy to see we are better, but our "better" right now just brings us up to mediocre. 6 years and we are no better off than we were at the end of CMG era. By this time Gottfried had at least been in the tourney several times and made an elite 8. Right now, we are just praying we'll make the tourney at all. We lose Saturday and we're done. You have to ask yourself, Is this really where you want our basketball program to be?
In retrospect, his tenure has a Shula analogy written all over it. Grant has restored Alabama basketball to respectability, he has integrity, he's an upstanding individual - just cannot coach in the big picture. The only difference with Shula is, when he (Grant) was hired, my projections (and the consensus from four or five like-minded and informed individuals within or just outside the Alabama program) was that he (Grant) would have Alabama in the Final Four within four years. And now, nearly six years later...well, maybe the administration should find a job for him as coach of the 'Bama bingo team rather than dismiss him outright. But that's about the best thing I can say for my estimation of his future.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.