Athlon early SEC predictions

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The SEC’s West Division is loaded once again. Alabama gets a slight nod as the pre-spring favorite, but the gap between the Crimson Tide and Auburn is slim. Talent isn’t an issue in Tuscaloosa, as Alabama has owned the top spot in the recruiting rankings from 2010-14 and is expected to ink the No. 1 class in 2015. However, there are a few glaring personnel concerns for this team going into next season.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-sec-football-predictions-2015

Athlon early SEC 2015

1 Alabama 2 Auburn 3 LSU 4 Ole Miss 5 Arky 6 Tex A&M 7 Miss St

1. Georgia 2 Mizzou 3. Tenn 4 Florida 5 S Carolina 6 Kentucky 7 Vandy

The surprise team to me is Tennessee ahead of Florida and S Carolina. In the west they have Arkansas below Ole Miss. I would flip them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tennessee has a fairly easy schedule.

Arkansas doesn't, so I understand the projection of them finishing fifth. However, I like them to finish ahead of Ole Miss. The questions with Ole Miss, Arkansas, TAMU, and MSU make me want to say just assume they finish tied for fourth. I can see any combination of those teams finishing fourth through seventh. LSU could easily be thrown in that group as well.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The SEC’s West Division is loaded once again. Alabama gets a slight nod as the pre-spring favorite, but the gap between the Crimson Tide and Auburn is slim. Talent isn’t an issue in Tuscaloosa, as Alabama has owned the top spot in the recruiting rankings from 2010-14 and is expected to ink the No. 1 class in 2015. However, there are a few glaring personnel concerns for this team going into next season.

Athlon early SEC 2015

The surprise team to me is Tennessee ahead of Florida and S Carolina. In the west they have Arkansas below Ole Miss. I would flip them.
Tennessee returns 10 starters on offense. Florida returns 10 starters. On offense and defense. South Carolina returns 12 starters but 8 of them are on defense. Probably would be better off if those 8 were gone also. Tennessee also returns 8 starters on defense to go with the 10 on offense. Don't expect Florida nor South Carolina to finish ahead of Tennessee.

Last edited:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Athlon early SEC 2015

What are these glaring personnel concerns you speak of? Players leaving for the NFL draft or coaching changes or a combo?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It wouldn't surprise me too much if Florida has a better-than-expected season. Their problems the last few years have been a combination of injuries and poor coaching...the talent is there to make a run.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So in 13 weeks we went from "Blake Sims is not an SEC calibre QB" to "he's gonna be difficult to replace."

I mean, it isn't that hard to replace a low-level QB

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I'd probably put Ole Miss ahead of LSU. But that is only because Lsu probably would be near the bottom of the conference in QB play next year. The East is uga's to lose, but they have tougher teams from the west to deal with, so it can turn into a crapshoot between 2-3 teams if they drop an unexpected one somewhere.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'd probably put Ole Miss ahead of LSU. But that is only because Lsu probably would be near the bottom of the conference in QB play next year. The East is uga's to lose, but they have tougher teams from the west to deal with, so it can turn into a crapshoot between 2-3 teams if they drop an unexpected one somewhere.
And they usually lose it ;)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Lots of questions to be answered for Bama. Schedule is really not favorable at all. If we have an experienced QB, returned a full OL, and weren't replacing the middle of our defense I'd be more optimistic. I'm thinking more 10-3 this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.