Rubio is in - Running for President -- Man I'd love a Rubio/Cruz Ticket --

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
All of the barbs directed at Cruz, or Rubio, are quite humorous. What in the hell do you all think we've had over the past 27 years? Hell, you can probably go back a lot further than that. They're all liars, they're all in the tank for some Big This or Big That, and none of them care one iota for the common folk.

Romney is a retread loser. Jeb is another Bush who is a carbon copy of all the other Bushes/Clintons/Obamas/etc. But one or the other will end up getting the nomination.

But don't think I'm under any delusion that Rubio/Cruz would win if they could get the nomination. I think Clinton is a shoe in if she runs. I will either vote third party or write in Mickey Mouse.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The further right the ticket -- the bigger the Republican win.....

Not sure why people don't get that.....
You do realize that asking Republican candidates to be "more right" leads to them spending the entire primary season competing amongst themselves to prove to "the base" that they dislike/disdain minorities and poor people more than the rest of the candidates, right? And that this leads to minorities and the poor feeling that Republicans and the nominee hate them? And, that people rarely vote for people who they feel like hate them?

But, as a Democrat, I fully support this "strategy".

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You do realize that asking Republican candidates to be "more right" leads to them spending the entire primary season competing amongst themselves to prove to "the base" that they dislike/disdain minorities and poor people more than the rest of the candidates, right? And that this leads to minorities and the poor feeling that Republicans and the nominee hate them? And, that people rarely vote for people who they feel like hate them?

This has been ingrained into the general populous about all Republicans. It's why I don't think they win the Presidency again for a long, long time.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
On the surface, from the inside, from different angles, in a selfie, under a black light, in a X-ray image, in 3-D, through night-vision binoculars, Ted Cruz looks like a blubbering idiot, but once you look past it you realized his is just a whore for big business $$ like everyone else in Washington. Between his stance on global warming (Oil industry $) and net neutrality (telco and cable $), I'm not sure how anyone thinks he's going to make decisions for the good of the common folk.

Oh if you've ever criticized Obama's foreign policy decisions, if Cruz gets in the WH you'll need a lot of popcorn.
FIFY

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All of the barbs directed at Cruz, or Rubio, are quite humorous. What in the hell do you all think we've had over the past 27 years? Hell, you can probably go back a lot further than that. They're all liars, they're all in the tank for some Big This or Big That, and none of them care one iota for the common folk.

Romney is a retread loser. Jeb is another Bush who is a carbon copy of all the other Bushes/Clintons/Obamas/etc. But one or the other will end up getting the nomination.

But don't think I'm under any delusion that Rubio/Cruz would win if they could get the nomination. I think Clinton is a shoe in if she runs. I will either vote third party or write in Mickey Mouse.
Well, other than thinking she is really a "shoo-in," I agree with you... :D

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/exclusive-marco-rubio-moves-2016-presidential-bid/story?id=28415410

If the Republicans have any sense at all -- (which I do truly doubt) -- if they went Rubio/Cruz on a ticket....

They'd win by 8-10% ---
The part I'm actually trying to process is this.........why would Rubio pick Cruz?

What viable Republican needs help winning Texas? (Cruz picking Rubio would make perfect sense).

People simply DO NOT vote for the VP - it has never happened and never will. In point of fact, nobody (no big huge swath of voters) even cares. There is not one race where you can argue that the VP choice was THE determining factor in who won or lost. (I realize it's a popular Democratic myth to suggest Palin cost McCain the election, but it's simply not true. McCain lost more because of his: a) moderate Republican views made him unpopular with his own base; and b) the stock market crashed and a Republican was President - in fact, that was the biggest reason of all as the race was tied until then). Not even McGovern's selection of Eagleton cost him the election - it just sealed the deal.

And the notion the Republicans will ever again win by 8-10% - it might happen with a colossal depression that occurs when the Democrats own all three houses - is ludicrous. The electorate nowadays is less ideological and more flexible than ever before (despite what you're hearing in the media about immigration, Hispanics are not the solid block of Democratic votes that blacks are).

I don't know who can win but I know who won't - Christie, Romney, or Jeb Bush.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
When it has influence over policy, especially policies that only benefit the business, not the people - then yah, it sucks.
I'd like to get your thoughts on a few things:

(1) What policies only benefit businesses and have no ultimate impact on people?
(2) Does government implement policies that negatively impact businesses, and if so, are you saying that businesses should have no voice in mitigating the negative impacts?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I must admit, four years ago the strategy made for some damn fine infotainment.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
SWEET! Why Romney didn't put him on the ticket last time is beyond me. How about Rubio/ Jindal ticket!?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
yeah because republicans are known champions of immigration
A delicious irony in light of the FACT that Obama has deported more immigrants than any President in history.

That's a left-wing rag complaining about it. The DOUBLE irony is that this should have made Obama popular with the deportation crowd.

Of course, I'm used to this. If it wasn't for hypocrisy, I'm not sure politics would even exist.

I love hearing the old song and dance about how "the Republicans favor the rich" and then watching the Democrats whine about "corporations are people" out of one side of their mouths while taking their money on the other. Or watching a Republican RUNNING FOR A GOVERNMENT OFFICE saying he is AGAINST government.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
SWEET! Why Romney didn't put him on the ticket last time is beyond me. How about Rubio/ Jindal ticket!?
I usually vote D because I can't stomach the Republican far right/Tea baggers. If they'd move back toward the center and promote true republican ideas, they'd get my vote. I actually like Jindal.

IMO that is the R party's problem. They let the fringe dictate the party line. I think that is both party's issue. During the primaries they pander to the far right or far left because that is the most active group at that time. Either party could come up with a candidate in the middle that would appease 70% of the voters, but that candidate would never get past the primaries.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I usually vote D because I can't stomach the Republican far right/Tea baggers. If they'd move back toward the center and promote true republican ideas, they'd get my vote. I actually like Jindal.

IMO that is the R party's problem. They let the fringe dictate the party line.

This is absolute and utter hogwash. It is another myth that has been repeated so many times that it has become "true." Every single time the GOP has nominated an ACTUAL CONSERVATIVE as opposed to a synthetic moderate pretending to be said conservative - every time since 1968 they have won. It is NOT true that the "more right you are" the more electable, no; but the fact remains that if you simply look at who lost for the GOP, they were moderates.

I don't think for even one second any Democrat (please note I am referring to politicians and activists, NOT to you) REALLY cares about the Republicans putting up a middle of the roader "that can appeal across the board." If that were REALLY a winning strategy for the Republicans then no Democrat would ever advocate it. The moment the GOP puts up "dime store New Dealers" like McCain and Romney, they're done. Furthermore, if you'll go back - the moment the nomination is secured, every Democrat politician takes to a mic and starts talking about what an "extremist" the GOP guy, even the one they'll have spent the nomination period saying "shows the GOP is moving away from the far-right fringe." This is not just a Democratic thing, though - EVERY single time the Democrats nominate a Senator, the claim is made that he (or she) is "the most liberal member of the US Senate" or "the governor of the most liberal state in America." (The one thing the GOP folks DO NOT do except for their wishing Dean would win in 2004 is make a lot of comments about a SPECIFIC nominee on the other side during the contested race as if that person would be "good for the country").

When John McCain ran in 2000, Democrats bolted in states like Michigan and New Hampshire to vote for McCain because Bush "was an extremist." McCain did not change one iota from 2000 to 2008 EXCEPT he did call for the (wait for it) "tax cut" that he had opposed in 2000. The moment McCain became the nominee, we were told what an extremist fringe guy he was and how Romney would be a better candidate to "represent the middle of America." Guess what? The GOP (like Charlie Brown with Lucy) listened yet again and threw Romney up there and what happened? Well, rational folks thought to themselves, "how in the world can a Republican have gotten elected governor of Mass?" And the obvious answer was that he wasn't much of a conservative - and if you go look at his voting record, he's Clintonian - he was all in favor of abortion and gay rights (most notably gays in the military) in 1994 when he ran against Ted Kennedy but the moment he left Beacon Hill he turned into Ronald Reagan (the notion that Romney waited until 2007 and suddenly decided to visit a doctor and changed his position on abortion is comically absurd; it was also convenient since it was after he was governor and when he was about to run for the pro-life party's nomination). Furthermore, Romney then managed to look like a slick and phony politician (saying he liked grits in Mississippi was insanely stupid) who would say anything - and then he made it worse by alienating group after group until he had nobody left to offend.

The irony here is that while I hated Romney's political chameleon act, I also think he could have been a rather decent President precisely because he was not rigidly fixed to some things.

It is true the electorate is always changing, but the myth of the far right candidate losing the federal election needs to die. Todd Akin has nothing to do with why the GOP loses at the national level. It's just that when voters have a choice between a committed left-winger and a left-winger/moderate posing as a right-winger, they - for obvious reasons - find the leftist more authentic. And it is authenticity that wins the race. (Gore lost in 2000 because he was seen as a bigger phony than Bush).

The TRUTH, however, is the races are not nearly about the issues to the extent the media likes to pretend. Basically, they boil down to the economy and national security. (For all the outcry about gay marriage or abortion, they do commensurately measure at all - the one-issue voters, or two, are the fringe and they split 50/50 anyway). And for all the outcry about a balanced budget, no candidate ever lost because of the deficit or won because he balanced the budget. Mostly, folks just watch TV/Internet and vote for the guy their idiotic friends tell them, the guy they think "looks" better, or the better-known name. Remember that these same Americans who say X about the issues also list veggies as their top food choice (with an obesity epidemic going on) and say they want more documentaries and History Channel while WWE is drawing huge ratings.

In short, almost everyone lies anyway.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.