A "Pen and Phone" Throw Down

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Well, when Obama decided to go around Congress and do his own thing, he was certainly asking for it. Now Boehner is using his "pen and phone" in an epic case of "what goes around comes around".

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...-benjamin-netanyahu-congress-iran-114439.html

House Speaker John Boehner is setting up his most dramatic foreign policy confrontation with President Barack Obama to date, inviting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to speak about Iran before a joint session of Congress on Feb. 11.

Voting on additional sanctions against Iran will be another example of Congress taking action where the president has failed in his responsibilities to the country (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

Last edited:

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The Obama says he ain't meeting with Bibi...no siree...no way. I'm loving the showdown that's looming. Pres. Obama will likely show the world yet again what an arrogant elitist in action looks like. He's beyond an embarrassment.

I'm guessing Bibi will school The Obama on a national security level and there's a fear of having a foreign dignitary do it on his home turf. It should be good political theater.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The Obama says he ain't meeting with Bibi...no siree...no way. I'm loving the showdown that's looming. Pres. Obama will likely show the world yet again what an arrogant elitist in action looks like. He's beyond an embarrassment.

I'm guessing Bibi will school The Obama on a national security level and there's a fear of having a foreign dignitary do it on his home turf. It should be good political theater.
Bibi is everything one would hope a leader of their country would be. He's everything Obama isn't. Namely a leader who puts the safety and security of his people above all else.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
"There will be a price."

So the Obamites have already threatened retaliation. It's the Chicago way. Wasn't Barry supposed to be the great unify?

‘There will be a price’: Obama team reportedly fuming over Netanyahu visit
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-team-reportedly-fuming-over-netanyahu-visit/

Funny how after just absolutely trashing Israel and the PM that they can't take when they decide to just bypass dealing with a man who clearly hates them. I know it isn't protocol but can you blame them? Obama has been AWFUL to this man.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/iran-nonsense_824293.html

When House speaker John Boehner invited Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu to address Congress in the coming weeks, the reaction from the White House was swift. In background interviews with reporters, top Obama administration officials made clear that they considered the invitation itself an affront and the acceptance of it a breach of protocol.

Please.

This is the same White House that last week had British prime minister David Cameron making calls to Capitol Hill to lobby lawmakers against more sanctions on Iran. It’s the same administration that had to apologize to Senator Marco Rubio and others for violating its pledge to “consult Congress” before making any unilateral changes to U.S. policy on Cuba. This is the same president who has boasted repeatedly of his ability and willingness to ignore the legislative branch and use his “pen and phone” to do what he wants. And this is the same administration that used the cover of anonymity to call Netanyahu “chicken....” in a recent interview.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I keep hearing talking heads telling me that this is a challenge to the "President's supremacy in matters involving foreign affairs," and "this undermines the President's role as commander in chief."
Sorry, but the legislative branch is not simply the Executive's rubber stamp. If Netanyahu's visit to Capitol Hill does nothing else but challenge these constitutional heresies, he will have done the US a favor.
I cringe when I hear this "The President is the Commander in Chief" nonsense. He is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, but the country does not have a commander-in-chief.
The legislature has an important role to play in determining and implementing US foreign policy, so they can have anyone they want come and speak to them.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I keep hearing talking heads telling me that this is a challenge to the "President's supremacy in matters involving foreign affairs," and "this undermines the President's role as commander in chief."
Sorry, but the legislative branch is not simply the Executive's rubber stamp. If Netanyahu's visit to Capitol Hill does nothing else but challenge these constitutional heresies, he will have done the US a favor.
I cringe when I hear this "The President is the Commander in Chief" nonsense. He is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, but the country does not have a commander-in-chief.
The legislature has an important role to play in determining and implementing US foreign policy, so they can have anyone they want come and speak to them.
Currently, I respect Prime Minister Netanyahu more than any other leader of a country on this Earth. At the moment, I just can't think of anyone else that I would put in the top ten.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The [I hope] un-perceived irony is delicious!!

"If I, as the President, bypass Congress to further my agenda aimed primarily at creating more voters for my party, well, that's just being a shrewd politician along the lines of Bill Clinton.

But if that uppity Congress bypasses ME, well, that's a horse of an intolerably different color, and won't be tolerated. There WILL be repercussions."

Unlike what happens if you attack American citizens in an American embassy. In which case, those are just student protests...aren't they? W..wait...maybe I should reconsider...never mind.

Now you just shut your mouth and mind. Do as I say, not as I do. And stop with those imperialist comparisons. They won't be tolerated. The only protected speech is that with which I and I alone agree.

Note: I originally considered blue font. But on further reflection, I couldn't find any sarcasm. Blue font intentionally omitted.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
While certainly Congress is entitled to have anyone they want address them, I don't get a tingly feeling down my leg whenever Netanyahu speaks. I am particularly troubled by the continued building of settlements on the West Bank (yeah, I know it's all Jewish land...) which makes any kind of peace settlement impossible. (Yeah, I know any peace settlement with Palestinians is not likely, given that it would rob Palestinian leadership of almost all of their power if peace broke out). There is plenty of land available in the Negev. Building in the West Bank is just a constant (and unnecessary) provocation for more trouble. (Israelis and Palestinians are like two young kids quarreling: "She touched me! He's looking at me! She touched me!! He's looking at me!!" except the stakes are much higher; people get killed when these two quarrel), after a while I just tune them out.

Meanwhile, in France, in the wake of the kosher market hostage-taking, many Jewish Frenchmen are giving serious thought to emigrating.

"Je suis parti" means "I am gone."

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Someone gave me a CountDown Clock yesterday.

725 Days 18 minutes and 30, no 29, no 28 ….. seconds left. That's a LONGGGGGGGGGG Time! I'm not sure that I will survive!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Interesting article about the upcoming Netanyahu speech and Obama's Iran strategy:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/02/27/netanyahus_true_electoral_rival_125721.html

When Speaker of the House of Representatives John Boehner announced last month that he had invited Netanyahu to address the joint houses of Congress on the threat emanating from Iran’s nuclear program and from radical Islam, he unintentionally transformed the Israeli elections from a local affair to a contest between Obama and Netanyahu.

Obama’s response to Netanyahu’s speech has been astounding. His ad hominem attacks against Netanyahu, his open moves to coerce Democratic lawmakers to boycott Netanyahu’s speech, and the administration’s aggressive attempts to damage Israel’s reputation in the US have been without precedent. More than anything, they expose a deep-seated fear that Netanyahu will be successful in exposing the grave danger that Obama’s policies toward Iran and toward the Islamic world in general pose to the global security.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
"There will be a price."

So the Obamites have already threatened retaliation. It's the Chicago way. Wasn't Barry supposed to be the great unify?

‘There will be a price’: Obama team reportedly fuming over Netanyahu visit
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-team-reportedly-fuming-over-netanyahu-visit/

Funny how after just absolutely trashing Israel and the PM that they can't take when they decide to just bypass dealing with a man who clearly hates them. I know it isn't protocol but can you blame them? Obama has been AWFUL to this man.

He's been AWFUL period.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If the deal goes through with the Persian Empire, our divisive leader will be pronouncing it "Peace in our Time" just like Neville Chamberlain. You know how peaceful that turned our!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.