BYU ups their schedule

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Just take a look at BYU's 2015 schedule. The Cougars will travel to Memorial Stadium (Nebraska), the Rose Bowl (UCLA) and the Big House (Michigan) all in the month of September. If that wasn't enough, the Cougars will also travel to Arrowhead Stadium to take on Missouri of the SEC.

Add in a Boise State squad that took down Arizona in the Fiesta Bowl with a trip to Logan against an up-and-coming Utah State squad and home games vs. solid American Athletic Conference teams Cincinnati and East Carolina. This schedule is certainly no cakewalk

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...he-challenge-of-more-difficult-schedules.html

I would love to see Notre Dame have a rival for "top independent." As in the Playoff spot that reads "or Notre Dame" to say "Notre Dame or BYU." BYU has an uphill climb, like Boise, for in recruiting they are lucky to finish in the Top 50. BYU currently 52 and Boise 60 on 24/7 rankings. Of course, BYU wants an invite to Big 12 or Pac 12 and I can't blame them for that.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They have a couple of cupcakes on the schedule, but the rest of the schedule looks very respectable.
Yes, Nine teams who went to a bowl and one jr. college. As the article points out they are trying to upgrade their schedule in hopes of moving up to a Power 5 conference by 2019 (their goal).

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Yes, Nine teams who went to a bowl and one jr. college. As the article points out they are trying to upgrade their schedule in hopes of moving up to a Power 5 conference by 2019 (their goal).
Is not money a big factor that conferences consider when adding a team. BYU could make itself a very respectable football program but you dont want a school dragging the average conference money down since the conference dispenses tv money equitably I believe.

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
Sadly, BYU is wayyyyyy behind Notre Dame. Go google their respective recruiting classes.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Oh look, they're playing a 5 game schedule. Good for them.
You still have to respect what they are trying to do.
The Cougars will travel to Memorial Stadium (Nebraska), the Rose Bowl (UCLA) and the Big House (Michigan) all in the month of September. If that wasn't enough, the Cougars will also travel to Arrowhead Stadium to take on Missouri of the SEC.
All that in one month and all on the road. If they go undefeated with that schedule (I know they won't) they should get strong consideration for a spot of 4. After how the west performed in the bowl games we will only get the benefit of the doubt from hardcore SEC fans. Everything else will have to be proven on the field of play.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Is not money a big factor that conferences consider when adding a team. BYU could make itself a very respectable football program but you dont want a school dragging the average conference money down since the conference dispenses tv money equitably I believe.
That is supposedly the way it works. How do we explain W Virginia? How do we explain TCU? How do we explain Louisville? Colorado? Sometimes it appears "saving face" is the important factor. BYU and Cincinnati would save face and add a playoff game and equal the Power Five playing field. I believe it will happen just as soon as the B12 figures out they have to be undefeated to beat out a CG winner.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You still have to respect what they are trying to do.
I respect the attempt, they are not Boise Stating things, they're not just going to play one or two tough games and pretend that legitimizes them.

However, I don't like the way some people make a big point of a few tough games. Alabama survived a murderous schedule, heck the entire SEC West was insanely brutal, Arkansas the worst team of the bunch, beat Texas, Texas Tech, and Northern Illinois by a combined 132-49. What did that insane SoS actually do for the SEC West other than leave them beat up for the post season? With the playoff and all though, it's become more about winning a few big games, regular season and post season.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Just last May, it was reported that the ACC would not consider BYU an option for its membership to satisfy the mandatory scheduling of at least one Power Five opponent per season.

Eight months later? Never mind, apparently.

Regardless, the ACC’s decision is a huge one for BYU as it will allow the football program to further bolster its schedule — and any potential playoff résumé — with quality Power Five opponents. Short of landing a spot in one of those conferences — you have their digits, Big 12 — this is about as good as it gets for the Cougars.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...face-acc-to-count-byu-as-power-five-opponent/

So, The ACC wants to schedule a Group of Five but pretend they are a Power Five team. Nice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.