Question: Earle: Huntsville Rockets Football

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I posted this here instead of pro sports since it is the off season. I had an uncle that played for the semi-pro Huntsville Rockets in the late 50 's I believe but beyond a few small newspaper articles I'm having no luck finding any info on them. I didn't know when you moved to that area or if you might be able to help me locate any source of information about the team. Thanks...

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I posted this here instead of pro sports since it is the off season. I had an uncle that played for the semi-pro Huntsville Rockets in the late 50 's I believe but beyond a few small newspaper articles I'm having no luck finding any info on them. I didn't know when you moved to that area or if you might be able to help me locate any source of information about the team. Thanks...

I actually moved back in '63. I remember them as a name, but that's all...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I was born in Florence and raised in Jasper. I remember hearing about the team, but wow, finding info would probably require finding former players.
I'll try.
sip

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I remember my uncle's helmet hanging in his basement...black with a red rocket emblem...heavy as hades....I've sent a message to the folks who run the Huntsville Rewound website. My uncle did tell me they even played the Atlanta Falcons in an exhibition game...so that would date around 1965 or so I think when that franchise started up...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsville_Rockets

The Rockets were founded as members of the Dixie Professional Football League in 1962.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] The team played under the direction of head coach Tommy Lewis and line coach Dave Sington.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] They earned a 17–1 record in their debut season.[SUP][6][/SUP]
In 1963, the team moved to the new Southern Professional Football League and Al "Monk" Romine took over as head coach.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] The SPFL faltered in 1965 and the Rockets moved to the North American Football League (NAFL).[SUP][9][/SUP] The Rockets played in the NAFL Southern Division from 1965 to 1966.[SUP][5][/SUP] The other NAFL teams in 1965 were: Pennsylvania Mustangs, Annapolis Sailors, Wilmington Comets, Baltimore Broncos, Florida Brahmans, Mobile Tarpons, and Dayton Colts. The team struggled on the field and at the gate.[SUP][10][/SUP] With 5 games left in the 1966 season, the Rockets' NAFL franchise was revoked in October 1966 for failure to pay money owed to the league.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP]
The NAFL became the Professional Football League of America (PFLA) in 1967. What remained of the defunct Huntsville Rockets team formed the foundation for the formation of a new PFLA franchise, the Huntsville Hawks.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP] The PFLA merged with the larger Continental Football League in February 1968.[SUP][15]

I vaguely remember the Huntsville Hawks. Seems like Tom Bryan, a former Auburn star was the star player, manager, or some such. Football was big in Huntsville back then. When any of the 3 high school teams; Butler, Lee and Huntsville played each other the Stands at Milton Frank Stadium would be packed. Thousands of fans.[/SUP]

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

The Rockets were founded as members of the Dixie Professional Football League in 1962.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] The team played under the direction of head coach Tommy Lewis and line coach Dave Sington.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] They earned a 17–1 record in their debut season.[SUP][6][/SUP]
In 1963, the team moved to the new Southern Professional Football League and Al "Monk" Romine took over as head coach.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] The SPFL faltered in 1965 and the Rockets moved to the North American Football League (NAFL).[SUP][9][/SUP] The Rockets played in the NAFL Southern Division from 1965 to 1966.[SUP][5][/SUP] The other NAFL teams in 1965 were: Pennsylvania Mustangs, Annapolis Sailors, Wilmington Comets, Baltimore Broncos, Florida Brahmans, Mobile Tarpons, and Dayton Colts. The team struggled on the field and at the gate.[SUP][10][/SUP] With 5 games left in the 1966 season, the Rockets' NAFL franchise was revoked in October 1966 for failure to pay money owed to the league.[SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP]
The NAFL became the Professional Football League of America (PFLA) in 1967. What remained of the defunct Huntsville Rockets team formed the foundation for the formation of a new PFLA franchise, the Huntsville Hawks.[SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP] The PFLA merged with the larger Continental Football League in February 1968.[SUP][15]

I vaguely remember the Huntsville Hawks. Seems like Tom Bryan, a former Auburn star was the star player, manager, or some such. Football was big in Huntsville back then. When any of the 3 high school teams; Butler, Lee and Huntsville played each other the Stands at Milton Frank Stadium would be packed. Thousands of fans.[/SUP]
wow...I played at Milton Frank Stadium a few times...
Brings back memories..

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Good job! I do remember them now, but I didn't attend any games, although I knew both Tommy and Dave. At the time, I was in the process of trying to get a law practice going and I had a lot on my plate...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Good job! I do remember them now, but I didn't attend any games, although I knew both Tommy and Dave. At the time, I was in the process of trying to get a law practice going and I had a lot on my plate...
Is Dave Sington Fred's son?

scoretide

Suspended
Nov 26, 2010
Boaz, Alabama
I will chime IN ! I did the scoreboard at Milton frank, the rockets played over there a few season ago I believe 12-13. Don't know if the league folded or not. they actually had decent support in Huntsville but some of the other teams didn't from other towns

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Do you mean Fred, Sr., or Fred, Jr? He was Fred, Sr.'s son, but he passed away a couple of years ago. Fred, Jr., who was in law school with me is still alive, so far as I know. He was called back to kick FGs after he'd quit football to concentrate on Law school. He was a big guy and he hit the ball awfully low, imparting an almost crazy end over end spin to the kick. (No soccer kickers back then.) Because of kicking style, he didn't have a lot of range, but he was deadly from about 30 yds in...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
As Earle said, Dave is Fred Sr's son, and ran the local branch of the family business, Sington's Sporting Goods. We moved to Huntsville in 1963 and I did attend a few of the Rocket's games since I knew a few of the players. They were a good team, played on Sunday afternoons, and admission was cheap so they drew pretty well. Unfortunately they weren't as successful in later years and finally folded, being reborn as the Huntsville Hawks (not certain of that name) which I believe lasted another two or three seasons. Not sure of the dates but I think the transition from the Rockets to the Hawks was around the mid-60's and that it was all over by 1970 or thereabouts.

boatmax

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2004
Guntersvliie, AL

Have you tried the Huntsville Times newspaper Sports Editor? John Pruitt recently retired after 40 years. I am not sure of your question; if it is about the team or the uncle.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I am just curious in general...the Huntsville Rewound website emailed me and stated they were working on gathering info about them.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Alton romine was head coach @ Phil Campbell for some years. He had two sond Stan and Merv . Merv had a scholly to Alabama but didn't work out ,he was a very good athlete.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
Looks like my uncle, Charles Kitchens, was on the 1965 roster. I also found him on the 1963 Tuscaloosa Warriors and the 1964 Columbus Warriors...never knew he was on 2 different teams.

I saw Duff Morrison on the 63 roster also...I ran into him on several occasions in the late 80's at racquetball tournaments and he always had his 1961 National Championship ring on, would have loved to picked his brain about the 63 team if I had known he played with my uncle.

http://www.profootballarchives.com/1965naflhun.html

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.