Tosh Lupoi elevated to Outside LBs coach

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I saw someone suggest today that Niblett would replace Tyler Siskey and then take over for Williams in a couple of years. I guess they are working under the assumption of the NCAA deciding no new assistant. If the NCAA does decide to allow one more assistant, I hope Niblett takes over the special teams. We need a guy to only coach that position. And then maybe, Bobby can actually do something with the tight ends.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I have a question. If Niblett is hired in a off field position, can he still help " assist" the coach in the practice? Provide " tips"?
I saw someone suggest today that Niblett would replace Tyler Siskey and then take over for Williams in a couple of years. I guess they are working under the assumption of the NCAA deciding no new assistant. If the NCAA does decide to allow one more assistant, I hope Niblett takes over the special teams. We need a guy to only coach that position. And then maybe, Bobby can actually do something with the tight ends.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Excited to get Lupoi on the field as I feel he is a coaching/teaching upgrade to LT. IMO the one weakness the staff has had recently is teaching/developing talent. It's great to have a roster full of 4 and 5 star recruits but, if they don't have proper coaching to develop you can't reach your potential.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I will throw an offline hissy fit that might involve breaking things if Mel Tucker is anywhere near Tuscaloosa. I was glad he was gone from the Bears please don't make me have to keep quiet about him because he is on staff. Stay away, Coach, pretty please?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you remember, he is the one that barners claim started the "totally fabricated Cam Newton smear campaign" because he worked at MSU before coming to UA the first time. They said that Saban hired him before the season from MSU because knew Newton was going to be the best CFB player since Bo Jackson.

I mean, it had to be him, right? -lol ;)

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I've been hearing the Phrase "Master recruiter" a lot when talking about Tosh Lupoi. That's great, but could someone fill me in on how he is as a position coach? It just seems like everything I read about him discusses only about his recruiting ability.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've been hearing the Phrase "Master recruiter" a lot when talking about Tosh Lupoi. That's great, but could someone fill me in on how he is as a position coach? It just seems like everything I read about him discusses only about his recruiting ability.
From the Bleacher Report:

While he was out of coaching last year, he spent the previous six seasons as a defensive assistant in the Pac-12.

He was the defensive line coach at California—where he played in the early 2000s as a standout defensive lineman—from 2008 to 2011.

His tenure on the sidelines in Berkeley was highlighted by the Bears' top-25 national ranking in total defense in 2010 and 2011. He also tutored the likes of first-round draft choices such as Tyson Alualu and Cameron Jordan.

He moved on to Washington in 2012 and spent two seasons with the Huskies before agreeing to a mutual separation in the wake of allegations of improper recruiting tactics, per Adam Jude of The Seattle Times./QUOTE]
His presence was felt immediately in Tuscaloosa, as one SEC staffer remarked to Evans that Lupoi has already “been a big asset for [them].”

At only 33 years old, he will add more youth and energy to Saban’s staff.

Given his history of recruiting at a high level and developing talent on the field, Lupoi represents another quality hire for Saban and another big win for the Tide’s recruiting efforts.
Also in that link:

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Josh Niblett could do the TEs. He is probably my favorite coach to have worked for so far. He is one of the best people you will meet and always has the players best interest come first.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I have a question.. So, with Josh Niblett potentially coming on board... Are you guys saying that Bobby Williams may be moved off field if NCAA approves extra coach? What happens if they don't do that? HE'll be hired as intern?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I will throw an offline hissy fit that might involve breaking things if Mel Tucker is anywhere near Tuscaloosa. I was glad he was gone from the Bears please don't make me have to keep quiet about him because he is on staff. Stay away, Coach, pretty please?
Sorry...it's Tucker

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I dunno. Mark Hudspeth at ULL can bench nearly 400lbs. Did 225 25 times.
Yeah and he could totally kick any other HC's butt. Lol
NOBODY messes with Ed Orgeron! :)
Don't know. My money may have to go on Niblett. Seen this guy crush the stacks in the gym and then go about an hour on the treadmill or elliptical at about 7 minute mile pace. Guy is a beast.

Better yet is to watch him if one of the high school kids happens to come in. He KNOWS them, regardless of whether they are a football player/athlete or not. My daughter is a senior at Hoover. She came in to do cardio and he called her out by name. She was shocked! Said to me, "I didn't think he even knew who I was!"

That is saying something with a student body the size of Hoover. The guy has a great heart for the young people he coaches and teaches.

Needless to say I'd love to see him on the staff in Tuscaloosa in some capacity.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.