****Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. AU****

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The thing that bothers me is that on all of those inbounds plays the defender (Auburn) was impeding the movement of the offensive player with their body. When that happens that it is a "hold" and should've been called before the "flagrant" foul. The thing is that the officials were allowing the contact. The officials are supposed to watch the movement of the defender when looking for fouls because that is how you are supposed to judge contact. You have to make sure that the defender is using correct defensive maneuvers and not impeding the movement of the offensive player with their body. Which that was happening all night on our inbound plays. I've only gotten one technical my whole coaching career, but I seriously don't think I would've made it to Halftime of that game. Now I know why Wimp was shaking his head in the crowd.

The officiating crew, the announcers and the whole production seemed like it was put together by Atari. After the announcers said that 6 of Bama's players were from Arkansas High School, I kept waiting to see if any of them went to the high school I attended in Jacksonville, Ark. What a joke!
This ----- along with the handful of obvious flops causing some of the Offensive Fouls we got, were absolutely ridiculous......

Pearl has a "win by any means possible" approach -- I get that....but he's bad for the game

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I would've paid ten times the admission to be able to sit next coach Sanderson last evening and eavesdrop on his running commentary on the officiating. Oh, the entertainment value! He had the same look in his eye as he had on the sideline.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would've paid ten times the admission to be able to sit next coach Sanderson last evening and eavesdrop on his running commentary on the officiating. Oh, the entertainment value! He had the same look in his eye as he had on the sideline.
I wish they'd shown more of him. At times, he seemed lost in thought. At others, he was following the action and you could tell he didn't like what he saw...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The officiating crew, the announcers and the whole production seemed like it was put together by Atari. After the announcers said that 6 of Bama's players were from Arkansas High School, I kept waiting to see if any of them went to the high school I attended in Jacksonville, Ark. What a joke!
I told an Aub friend of mine that was at the game the announcers and officials spent a few hours at Gallette's prior to the game.

Love this tweet by Brian...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
This was a painful game for me to watch when we had the ball:
1. Can we not run an offense that sets up closer to the basket?
2. Do we not have any quick hitters?
3. Does anybody on staff work on offensive spacing?
4. The flow on offense was horrible, of course a lot of that had to do with fouls being called.
5. How in the world can we shoot so poorly at home?

Bottom line is that we won a close game coming from behind. it was ugly but it was a win and I'll take a w anytime.

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
Maybe this isn't the place for a rant, and maybe I am overreacting, but with the state of basketball officiating the game is becoming difficult to watch. More than any other sport the refs become part of the game. I believe that in this sport as in any other consistency is the key. In basketball there is none. Within a single game of from game to game. The constant delays to review monitors, as in last nights game with a close to ten minute delay, interrupt the flow of the game and are overreaching.

The most bothersome issue to me is the "home call" vs. "road call" call. We constantly see home teams get the benefit of the doubt and even announcers will comment that "that's just not a call you are going to get on the road". Seriously? Where is the credibility and integrity of a referee if that is the case? Why is a call any different depending on the location. Also basketball referees seem to be intimidated by home crowds and certain coaches. This is ridiculous and flies in the face of fair play. There seems to be a difference in how a game is called depending on the time of the game as well. We hear comments like " you aren't going to get that call at the end of the game " Why not? Isn't a foul a foul or a walk a walk? Obviously not.

Basketball can be the most exciting of college sports and the pool of competitive teams and players is amazing, but until we get proper officiating it will be clouded in my opinion.

Sorry for the Rant and Roll Tide!

Last edited:

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
I played it back in slow mo a few times and it's obvious Coach Pearl when shaking hands was wanting to say something to CAG but Coach shook his hand and moved right along down the line. I have to believe Pearl's big mouth and in game theatrics don't sit well with the classy reserved style CAG exhibits. While I wish he could be more emotional sometimes I AM glad he's not a clownish buffoon like CBP.

Still feel we need to go 12-6 to make the Dance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I played it back in slow mo a few times and it's obvious Coach Pearl when shaking hands was wanting to say something to CAG but Coach shook his hand and moved right along down the line. I have to believe Pearl's big mouth and in game theatrics don't sit well with the classy reserved style CAG exhibits. While I wish he could be more emotional sometimes I AM glad he's not a clownish buffoon like CBP.

Still feel we need to go 12-6 to make the Dance.
I much rather have a guy like CAG than Pearl's antics. I do wish CAG would get a technical once in a while. I believe Coleman would have erupted if he did. That doesn't mean he has to scream at the officials every time a call goes against Bama, though.

Means more when a reserved guy like Grant or Donovan lose their minds because it shows they're tired of the crap the officials are doing.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Maybe this isn't the place for a rant, and maybe I am overreacting, but with the state of basketball officiating the game is becoming difficult to watch. More than any other sport the refs become part of the game. I believe that in this sport as in any other consistency is the key. In basketball there is none. Within a single game of from game to game. The constant delays to review monitors, as in last nights game with a close to ten minute delay, interrupt the flow of the game and are overreaching.

The most bothersome issue to me is the "home call" vs. "road call" call. We constantly see home teams get the benefit of the doubt and even announcers will comment that "that's just not a call you are going to get on the road". Seriously? Where is the credibility and integrity of a referee if that is the case? Why is a call any different depending on the location. Also basketball referees seem to be intimidated by home crowds and certain coaches. This is ridiculous and flies in the face of fair play. There seems to be a difference in how a game is called depending on the time of the game as well. We hear comments like " you aren't going to get that call at the end of the game " Why not? Isn't a foul a foul or a walk a walk? Obviously not.

Basketball can be the most exciting of college sports and the pool of competitive teams and players is amazing, but until we get proper officiating it will be clouded in my opinion.

I had given up on watching college basketball for this very reason. Officiating in football can be bad, but bad officiating in basketball is amplified and it is the norm. I hate it.

I did happen to watch the ending of the game this past weekend, and it was great to see us beat Auburn. I really wish something could be done about collegiate officiating, though.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That variation of the rules was obviously in place at the end of the AU game. Our guard bringing the ball down almost gets his head ripped off from behind with no whistle. The inside players for AU get more and more steps before shooting near the end of the game, again with no whistle, while even the announcers were making the calls correctly...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The thing is that on that play they were going to call the correct foul against the Auburn player for holding, but when the went to they table they decided to use the replay for a totally different call. I wanted to toss my remote through the TV set. Total misuse of the replay.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Does anybody know if a foul on the defense during an out of bounds play is called differently than a normal foul?? Seems like it should be similar to Ricky's T, but I have not seen them called enough to know for sure. Thanks.
I thought year's ago that the foul was called intentional when a player was called for a foul before the ball was inbounded. This is not the case now and may have very well never been the case. Between the potential for a rule to have been explained incorrectly to me as well as my poor old memory, I could be way off on this.

The thing is that on that play they were going to call the correct foul against the Auburn player for holding, but when the went to they table they decided to use the replay for a totally different call. I wanted to toss my remote through the TV set. Total misuse of the replay.
My understanding of the rules would allow for the review of an elbow swinging but I don't think there is allowance to overturn the original foul called against AU. I wonder if there has been any further explanations on this now that there has been a chance for someone "official" to see what took place. I have read that a flagrant one or two foul results in the team that was fouled getting 2 free throws and possession.

Last edited:

Al Becker

3rd Team
Jan 25, 2011
Trussville, Al.
That variation of the rules was obviously in place at the end of the AU game. Our guard bringing the ball down almost gets his head ripped off from behind with no whistle. The inside players for AU get more and more steps before shooting near the end of the game, again with no whistle, while even the announcers were making the calls correctly...
Off topic, but back to the Arky game, on the last play the original shooter hit the ground on his jump before getting the shot off. Had that call been properly made the put back would never have happened. Another case of how a game is called differently at the end.

Sad really that the game of college basketball is compromised and it's accepted by the powers that be.

remember a year or two ago the topic was briefly the workload of the refs. Many still call several games a week. Couple that pace with the travel and that further exacerbates the officiating problem.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
My understanding of the rules would allow for the review of an elbow swinging but I don't think there is allowance to overturn the original foul called against AU. I wonder if there has been any further explanations on this now that there has been a chance for someone "official" to see what took place. I have read that a flagrant one or two foul results in the team that was fouled getting 2 free throws and possession.
He wouldn't have got an elbow to the jaw if he wouldn't have been holding him! When you have to do a "swim move" in sports you are either playing football or the defender is fouling you! Don't blame Ricky at all!

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The only reason they went to the monitor is because Pearl was screaming like an idiot that Ricky used his elbow. Like you said, the only reason he got hit by Ricky's elbow was because he was holding Ricky. The officials should have looked at the replay and thought of two things - did Tarrant use his elbow and if he did, was it due to the original foul called on the court?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.