Greece Embraces "Radical Leftist" Party

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Radical leftist Greek math is Greek to me. Maybe I'm not reading right, but according to this article...
http://news.yahoo.com/greece-rejects-loans-money-runs-051620595.html

- Greece has 2 billion Euro
- Greece owes 30.7 billion Euro in loans this year
- Greece refuses more loans
- Many Greeks have stopped paying taxes and taken their money out of banks

The answer is a 13.5 billion Euro stimulus program.

Yes we can... cause a train wreck.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I heard for Obama is formulating a version of a bailout. He'll offer citizenship to all Greeks who think they deserve other people's money. Seems they'll fit in seamlessly as voting Democrats.

Last edited:

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I agree with Earle. Germany is not going to let these fiscal psychopaths wreck the German economy. I think the Euro is going to be kaput within 5 years.
Or only a few major, responsible nations will be participating. If Germany can force Greece out, I wonder if we can kick California out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
From the article:

What's the Greek word for "chutzpah"?
As one who studied both Hebrew and Greek (and Deutsch).....

chutzpah is a Hebrew word denoting audacity. There is no direct correlative word in Greek to chutzpah; however, the word "thrasos" is close. It occurs three times in the writings of "The Apostolic Fathers" (and nowhere in the Greek NT):

1) 1 Clement 30:8 (which translates in English):

Boldness and arrogance and daring are for them that are accursed of God; but forbearance and humility and gentleness are with them that are blessed of God

In Greek:
thrasos (boldness) kai authadeia (arrogance, cognate of audacity) kai tolma (tolma is daring)

2) Epistle of Barnabas 19:3
Thou shalt not exalt thyself, but shalt be lowly minded in all things. Thou shalt not assume glory to thyself. Thou shalt not
entertain a wicked design against thy neighbor; thou shalt not admit boldness into thy soul.

ou (not) dwseis (you admit) th psuche (the soul) sou (of you) thrasos (boldness)

3) Didache 3:9
Don't exalt yourself or open your heart to overconfidence.

ouk (not) upsuchoseis (overconfidence - root of "psychosis," LOL!) seauton oude dwseis th psuche (the soul, yourself), sou (you) thrasos (overconfidence)

I don't have my BDAG lexicon at home because I'm moving to another place next week, but this should give you some idea of ancient Greek usage of the word - since you asked.

:)

And now, back to our OP!!!!

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Been there, done that. I've loaned money to family members who have in turn refused to pay it back. The next time they came to me needing money I refused them back.
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
I always call it a gift, if I'm going to give it. It surprises me when it comes back.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I always call it a gift, if I'm going to give it. It surprises me when it comes back.
My sister, who has been the object of my repeated largesse to the tune of several thousand dollars, just declared bankruptcy and had me served with papers so she can legally and permanently repudiate the debt. Yes, she is an Obama Democrat.

I'm going to start calling her "Tsipras."

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island
My sister, who has been the object of my repeated largesse to the tune of several thousand dollars, just declared bankruptcy and had me served with papers so she can legally and permanently repudiate the debt. Yes, she is an Obama Democrat.

Nothing warms my heart like family harmony.:)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Nothing warms my heart like family harmony.:)
If she had had the intestinal fortitude to come see me and tell me to my face that she never intended to repay me (although in her tear-soaked pleas at the time the money was begged for, she swore she would pay me back), I'd have a little bit of respect for her. Not much, but a little.
Instead, she hired a lawyer to come to my house and flip me the bird.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004

Really, sorry to hear that.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If she had had the intestinal fortitude to come see me and tell me to my face that she never intended to repay me (although in her tear-soaked pleas at the time the money was begged for, she swore she would pay me back), I'd have a little bit of respect for her. Not much, but a little.
Instead, she hired a lawyer to come to my house and flip me the bird.
Sounds like my uncle and aunt...but don't get me started there. I can't wait to urinate on their graves.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I was the only one who told her that a promise of repayment was the condition of the loan.
This story is completely true. Tidewater and I are brothers and our sister is a deadbeat. I haven't given her but a fraction of what he gave her. I figured it was between him and her but I pretty much refused to give her money. I was not at all surprised she went this route.

I love my sister but she's one of those people who, when they come to a time to make a decision, she's made the wrong decision every time.

Money and family are a bad, bad mix. It almost invariably causes hard feelings.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I just don't see the Germans taking it easy on the Greeks and letting them slide. If they do that, Ireland and Cypress could and probably will raise heck because they too agreed to austerity.

The Greeks remind me of someone who is morbidly obese, has been working with a personal trainer and is losing weight but they still insist on giving up working with the trainer and eating a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts every morning for breakfast, promising they'll lose the weight "one of these days".

Sounds like a promising plan (sarcasm alert). ;)

My guess is the Germans are going to lose patience and let the Greeks plunge into total economic collapse. If the Greeks think things are bad now, wait until NO ONE will loan them any money. We're talking Great Depression on steroids in Greece if that happens.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.