Greece Embraces "Radical Leftist" Party

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If I were you, I'd start making a of places you'd like to travel to that are on the Euro. It's about to get real cheap for Americans to travel over there.
LOL! Funny you say that, I was planning a trip to Europe/Egypt to tour some WW2 sites for my 50th. Maybe I'll go for my 49th instead.

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Greeks faced shuttered banks and a closed stock market Monday at the beginning of a fateful week that may determine whether they will be able to hold on to the euro currency.

The blows from the breakdown in talks between Greece and its credits also pummeled financial markets. Asian and European exchanges were down sharply, the euro slumped and Wall Street pointed lower with Greece less than 24 hours before being unable to pay its bills.

---

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras stunned the world by announcing that he would hold a referendum this Sunday over whether his nation should accept the tough austerity terms of its creditors. He has been campaigning for a “no” vote, and on Monday his leftist Syriza party planned to rally anti-austerity supporters in front of the country’s parliament on Athens’ Syntagma Square.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3264d0-1e3a-11e5-bf41-c23f5d3face1_story.html

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
LOL! Funny you say that, I was planning a trip to Europe/Egypt to tour some WW2 sites for my 50th. Maybe I'll go for my 49th instead.
If you go to El Alamein, they have a decent visitors' center. I was warned, however, that post-battle mine clearing was "haphazard" and straying off the beaten path can be dangerous. I think both side emplaced something like half a million mines in the area.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Not sure if you are kidding or not, but the amount of money you'd save on the exchange rate for a trip like that might be worth it. Went to St. Martin this year and it was noticeably cheaper this time. There is a big difference at 1:1 vs 1:1.5

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Not sure if you are kidding or not, but the amount of money you'd save on the exchange rate for a trip like that might be worth it. Went to St. Martin this year and it was noticeably cheaper this time. There is a big difference at 1:1 vs 1:1.5
No, I wasn't kidding. I was going to treat myself to a 50th b'day present and travel to Egypt and parts of Europe for 3 weeks going to various WW2 sites. I may bump up the timing based on the exchange rates though.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No, I wasn't kidding. I was going to treat myself to a 50th b'day present and travel to Egypt and parts of Europe for 3 weeks going to various WW2 sites. I may bump up the timing based on the exchange rates though.
I would really like to visit sites in Libya (Tobruk, Gazala, Halfaya Pass), but I can't afford the paid body guard such a trip would require.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If you go to El Alamein, they have a decent visitors' center. I was warned, however, that post-battle mine clearing was "haphazard" and straying off the beaten path can be dangerous. I think both side emplaced something like half a million mines in the area.
Yep, that was the plan. I'll make sure I don't stray off course though. Thanks for the tip.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I would really like to visit sites in Libya (Tobruk, Gazala, Halfaya Pass), but I can't afford the paid body guard such a trip would require.
A friend of mine's company (Alabama owned and operated) was bought out by a Canadian company. After promising (naturally) to keep everything in AL, they relocated the factory to Costa Rica. The first time he had to occasion to go down there, and up into the hills where they'd located the factory among cheap labor, they placed him in a Land Cruiser, with a driver and a guy with a AK-47. My friend asked who he was. He was answered that he was his bodyguard, and he needed him. And Costa Rica is supposed to be the most peaceful country in the region...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just emailed a client in Greece. (He's Greek originally and spends the summers there.) I asked if he were coming home to the States or sticking it out. (We have some WIP awaiting his return.) His dollars are going to be worth a lot more, but the banks are all closed. I hope he thought ahead. He probably did. He's a bright guy and retired UAH prof...

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
In fairness, the Greek government that just got voted out of power was actually trying to reform their spending. That is why the Greek voters voted them out.
The Greek voters told their politicians, in effect, "No! I demand that you ruin the economy!"

Which pretty well describes what we're currently doing, only we haven't had anyone trying to reform our stupidity since the advent of LBJ's War On Poverty.

:rolleyes:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A friend of mine's company (Alabama owned and operated) was bought out by a Canadian company. After promising (naturally) to keep everything in AL, they relocated the factory to Costa Rica. The first time he had to occasion to go down there, and up into the hills where they'd located the factory among cheap labor, they placed him in a Land Cruiser, with a driver and a guy with a AK-47. My friend asked who he was. He was answered that he was his bodyguard, and he needed him. And Costa Rica is supposed to be the most peaceful country in the region...
I really would like to visit those WW II sites. the US did not fight there, but I grew up reading about the British XXX Corps and the DAK duking it out over that terrain and I would like to see it with my own eyes.
Unfortunately, Cyrenaica is looney central just now and I would not go there now without a battalion of Bradley IFVs and some A-10s overhead.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I really would like to visit those WW II sites. the US did not fight there, but I grew up reading about the British XXX Corps and the DAK duking it out over that terrain and I would like to see it with my own eyes.
Unfortunately, Cyrenaica is looney central just now and I would not go there now without a battalion of Bradley IFVs and some A-10s overhead.
Thought we were phasing out the Warthog. However, other nations seem to be lining up to buy them... ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Thought we were phasing out the Warthog. However, other nations seem to be lining up to buy them... ;)
The USAF has a love hate relationship with that plane. (Mostly hate) You can't shoot down enemy fighters with a Warthog (well, at least not easily), but how many air to air engagements has the USAF faced over the last couple of decades?
A colleague described that plane as a 30mm cannon with wings, a couple of engines and a titanium bathtub for the pilot. Look at a frontal view:

The front landing gear is offset to make room for the cannon, so his description is fairly accurate.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The USAF has a love hate relationship with that plane. (Mostly hate) You can't shoot down enemy fighters with a Warthog (well, at least not easily), but how many air to air engagements has the USAF faced over the last couple of decades?
A colleague described that plane as a 30mm cannon with wings, a couple of engines and a titanium bathtub for the pilot. Look at a frontal view:

The front landing gear is offset to make room for the cannon, so his description is fairly accurate.
The A10 is an awesome machine. Perfect for tank-killing.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The A10 is an awesome machine. Perfect for tank-killing.
Yep. A USAF general recently told his subordinates that if any of them praised the Warthog before Congress they were guilty of treason.
Hyperbole much? Fortunately, he was reprimanded, which in his rank, is pretty much career death.

That is way off topic. I apologize to whoever started this thread for taking us off track.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.