Do we have a new DB coach yet? (looks like Mel Tucker is the one)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Do we have a new DB coach yet?

Hopefully it will turn out better than it did with Coach Brown last year with Tucker... I'm not saying he should get any of the credit, at all, but ever since Pruitt left we have really struggled with continuity in secondary coaching. I am hoping the Tucker hire sort of works out like the Pendry hire. He coached on several NFL teams that were average to poor but had outstanding success with us.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Oh, c'mon! IT was a joke, not meant to be taken in a negative way.... Shoot, folks have done that to me here on TF, and That's why I added the word " hard" in a teasing way...
I'm with you. My lack of spelling skills is surpassed only by my lack of typing skills. However, one of the greatest things I've ever seen in a thread happened about 5 or 6 years ago on a message board that I was a member of that don't think even exists anymore that was geared toward people in my profession. There was a member that was a HUGE know-it-all. He posted his opinion on something and another member made a comment along the lines of, "If you think that, then you're dumber than a bag of hammers." The know-it-all member shot back with 3 or 4 paragraphs about how he had been tested several times in his life and every test showed him to have a genius-level IQ. The problem? Three different times he misspelled the word "genius". I can't remember how he misspelled it, but it was the same all three times, so it wasn't a typo.

I know you can be very smart and not be a good speller, but, if you go on a rant about being a genius, it just looks bad when you misspell it...

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Of course Bama gets Mel Tucker. I realize the Bears didn't have the greatest talent in the secondary, though Fuller is really going to be a good one, provided he stay healthy, but considering the two worst defenses in Bears history were done on Tucker's watch, I can't say I like this hire. Now that he is at Bama, I will hope for the best.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Hopefully it will turn out better than it did with Coach Brown last year with Tucker... I'm not saying he should get any of the credit, at all, but ever since Pruitt left we have really struggled with continuity in secondary coaching. I am hoping the Tucker hire sort of works out like the Pendry hire. He coached on several NFL teams that were average to poor but had outstanding success with us.
Geez the guy has been a DC on several NFL teams....and has experience coaching DBs. I like Townsend and Ansley, but Tucker has more experience than both of those guys put together. He is not being hired to be the DC, but he sure cant hurt the development of the Defense...and has serious knowledge from being a DC. Coach knows and trusts him, so I am happy with the hire.

I did tell you all, that Coach likes to hire previous staff members.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012

Of course Bama gets Mel Tucker. I realize the Bears didn't have the greatest talent in the secondary, though Fuller is really going to be a good one, provided he stay healthy, but considering the two worst defenses in Bears history were done on Tucker's watch, I can't say I like this hire. Now that he is at Bama, I will hope for the best.
why does what happened at chicago as DC have any bearing on him being DB coach for us? that team had almost no nfl caliber talent on defense, head coach was offense crazy. Tucker was db coach for ohio state in 2001-2003 and won a championship there, we was db coach at cleveland browns in 04 when they were 4th in the nfl in passing defense. he was employed in the nfl as a db or dc coach for over 10 years. the guy can coach. he was saban's db coach in his first year at lsu and was a GA for him at Mich St. Saban knows him and knows hes a good coach.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

why does what happened at chicago as DC have any bearing on him being DB coach for us? that team had almost no nfl caliber talent on defense, head coach was offense crazy. Tucker was db coach for ohio state in 2001-2003 and won a championship there, we was db coach at cleveland browns in 04 when they were 4th in the nfl in passing defense. he was employed in the nfl as a db or dc coach for over 10 years. the guy can coach. he was saban's db coach in his first year at lsu and was a GA for him at Mich St. Saban knows him and knows hes a good coach.
The Bears front office did a crappy job of preparing for life after Urlacher.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Don't know much about him but what little I've read about his background it looks like we are definitely upgrading with Coach Tucker.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

the Bears haven't been relevant for 30 years

Hey, if they would wake up and tap into the Saban line during the draft, that will change. How do you NOT draft at least one Saban coached player from Bama? I FEEL LIKE I AM TAKING CRAZY PILLS

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Division champs in 2001 and 2010. Played in Super Bowl 2006. But, yes, pretty not-great since then.
that 2006 super bowl team was terrible offensively. so bad that they actually allowed Peyton Manning and the Colts to get a Super Bowl win. they were who we thought they were.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Very good article on Mel Tucker and teams he've been with. http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...el-tucker-chicago-bears-defensive-coordinator

Over the two years Tucker worked for Saban, Tucker's defensive backs recorded interceptions at clip of over one a game and posted strong pass defense numbers.[FONT=Mercury SSm A, Mercury SSm B, Georgia, serif]After a one-year stint at Miami of Ohio in 1999, Tucker rejoined Saban, who had since moved to Louisiana State University, for the 2000 season. While here, Tucker led the defensive backfield to the tune of 16 interceptions as part of an overall defense ranked in the top third of college football despite having the [/FONT]tenth-hardest [FONT=Mercury SSm A, Mercury SSm B, Georgia, serif]overall schedule. [/FONT]
This sounds like he's real good at developing players, and he does have the ability to connect with players. We have huge number of talents at CB and Safety, and I would imagine He's going to change few things on the field.... He may not be very good defense coordinator, but he's real good at teaching the philosophy of the game. I also wonder what's it's like to be in room with CNS, CLK, CNS, CMT, and CKS all together in the room discussing X's and O's.... At first, I wasn't big fan of the hire, but I'm warming up to it now. This could actally help both sides of the ball. COach Mel Tucker has been in NFL for long time, so He could incorporate few things with CKS... You never know. I get a feeling we're going to see new looks on Defense next year.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

I think I read his DBs at Cleveland recorded 73 interceptions. NFL sources agree that he was overwhelmed as a DC but not many are better DB position coaches

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

That could be what we needed... Takeaway balls.. Force teams to think twice about throwing deep balls...

Teams that are returning QBs:
1. Dak Prescott [Mississippi State]
2. Kyle Allen [Texas A&M]
3. Brandon Allen [Arkansas]
4. Maty Mauk [Missouri]
5. Joshua Dobbs [Tennessee]
So, I think that would be real interesting in 2015 and how our defense responds to those guys.. and then dealing with QBs we probably never seen or experienced little... Auburn with Jeremy Johnson and etc.
I think I read his DBs at Cleveland recorded 73 interceptions. NFL sources agree that he was overwhelmed as a DC but not many are better DB position coaches

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.