Do we have a new DB coach yet? (looks like Mel Tucker is the one)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Re: Do we have a new DB coach yet?

Until Bama proves otherwise, every team is going to throw deep against Bama.....I think coach realizes this and he is thinking ahead to try and limit that and hopefully teach the DBs to actually take advantage of that.....

If he can teach those guys to be ball hawks like he has in the past....things should get better. He will have the raw talent!

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL

As a Bears fan I'll echo what many have already said. It was a combination of him being overwhelmed as the DC and there was just not talent to coach (pretty much any decent player was hurt). I'm hoping Coach Saban taking him under his wing plus a talent upgrade (except for Fuller who will be a stud) will yield better results.....

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

You also have to take into account that the kids these days LOVE the NFL experience and hearing about that directly from the horses mouth. It is going to be a big bonus in selling some of these kids that he can tell them exactly how it is in "The Show"' because he's been there.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003

NFL jobs don't always indicate how good a coach someone is. Remember Belichick's Cleveland Staff was epic and included our beloved coach but got ran out of town on a rail.
They didn't get run out of town, Modell moved the team to Baltimore. They went 11-5 in 94'. Started out 3-1 in 95' before Modell told everyone he was moving.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Be careful - You do know who the main DB coach is, I presume! :biggrin:
Are his initials NS? :smile: He's the best head coach in the college game, but he is not perfect. It is especially encouraging that Saban continues to strive to better our program; bet we see improvement in the secondary this season and even more in 2016.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

It is no secret that CNS is loyal to his current and former coaches, even rehiring them on more than one occasion (Thompson, Steele, Davis, Williams). I am sure that he has confidence in Mel Tucker to coach his secondary.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'll say this... We got exposed several time... when jackson or Brown was in the game.. when we made adjustment ( Put Slyve in) in Auburn Game, it got better. Missouri Game- those deep plays were extremely lucky on Missouri... Ohio State... I don't know what happened LOL.

But I don't think the issue was reaally Coach's techniques.. more likely Players making mental errors time to time... I'm planning to watch the game tapes tonight... Mostly Ohio and Missouri game.. but having Mel Tucker will help us a lot... Between him and linebacker coach, TL ... This could be a shutdown defense of 2011...

Just get it fix. I don't care who it is. It's already been posted but until we get it fixed teams are going to light up the airways with bombs on our secondary.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I'll say this... We got exposed several time... when jackson or Brown was in the game.. when we made adjustment ( Put Slyve in) in Auburn Game, it got better. Missouri Game- those deep plays were extremely lucky on Missouri... Ohio State... I don't know what happened LOL.

But I don't think the issue was reaally Coach's techniques.. more likely Players making mental errors time to time... I'm planning to watch the game tapes tonight... Mostly Ohio and Missouri game.. but having Mel Tucker will help us a lot... Between him and linebacker coach, TL ... This could be a shutdown defense of 2011...
That would be a great bonus. But to be honest. I'd be tickled pink if we would just remedy those long bombs. Our DL played much better, got a lot more pressure than previous years. We were faster across the DL than in previous years. Only to be burnt like toast in the secondary on nothing else than sandlot hail mary's. :conf3:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

but having Mel Tucker will help us a lot... Between him and linebacker coach, TL ... This could be a shutdown defense of 2011...
I don't think we'll see a defense as good as the 2011 defense in a long time. Let's tone down our homer comparisons a few notches.

Looks like Tucker is still the guy, but a strange thing happened. Thayer Evans (SI) was the first to tweet out the news. Then, Ian Rapport (NFL Network) tweeted it out. Bruce Feldman (Fox) was the third person to tweet his sources said Tucker is the man. Evans and Rapport still have their tweets up. Feldman's tweet is gone. Kind of strange.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Okay, maybe I shouldn't say 2011... but it has the potential of being real good this year... I just saw a tweet saying same thing. yes, it's weird...
I don't think we'll see a defense as good as the 2011 defense in a long time. Let's tone down our homer comparisons a few notches.

Looks like Tucker is still the guy, but a strange thing happened. Thayer Evans (SI) was the first to tweet out the news. Then, Ian Rapport (NFL Network) tweeted it out. Bruce Feldman (Fox) was the third person to tweet his sources said Tucker is the man. Evans and Rapport still have their tweets up. Feldman's tweet is gone. Kind of strange.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Okay, maybe I shouldn't say 2011... but it has the potential of being real good this year... I just saw a tweet saying same thing. yes, it's weird...
If any defense in today's game puts up numbers like the 2011 defense then that means it was better than the 2011 defense. Because we're facing a lot more HUNH teams than ever before.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

If any defense in today's game puts up numbers like the 2011 defense then that means it was better than the 2011 defense. Because we're facing a lot more HUNH teams than ever before.
I'll settle for one that can hold a 21-6 lead. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.