Do we have a new DB coach yet? (looks like Mel Tucker is the one)

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Re: Do we have a new DB coach yet?

I'll settle for one that can hold a 21-6 lead. :)
I can't back this up with any statistics, but it seems to me more and more teams with big leads wind up loosing lately. Used to be blamed on the famous prevent defense, but I think there is more to it now.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

What do you think it is?
I think both coaches and players are to blame. One, the players have a natural let down. They're not playing at the same level they were when they got the lead. Secondly, I think coaches quit calling the game and coaching like they did when they got the lead. With today's high powered offenses it doesn't take long to erase a 28 point lead. Plus, once "Mo" is on the other sidelines it is very hard, next to impossible to get back.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama

I think both coaches and players are to blame. One, the players have a natural let down. They're not playing at the same level they were when they got the lead. Secondly, I think coaches quit calling the game and coaching like they did when they got the lead. With today's high powered offenses it doesn't take long to erase a 28 point lead. Plus, once "Mo" is on the other sidelines it is very hard, next to impossible to get back.
Oh, ok... I get that. I thought he was referring to some rule change or something.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Oh, ok... I get that. I thought he was referring to some rule change or something.
No nothing to do with rules and Buzzard pretty much said what I think. Also, I believe teams trailing big will go completely go away from conventional wisdom and take risks they normally wouldn't do and all of a sudden the other team is the one reeling and the wheels come off.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL

I like the hire because CNS likes the hire. But our issues on defense do not start & end with the DB's IMO.
people were running on us at will. I don't know he answer or issue, but I'm sure CNS does.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

people were running on us at will.
#4 rushing defense in the country (#1 in the SEC) = 'running on us at will'?

Remove the OSU game and Bama was the #2 rushing D in the country (allowing a mere 88.69 ypg - only 0.23 ypg more than Michigan State).

2014 Bama had a really, really good rush D.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Let me add: the secondary ended the season ranked 59th in the nation - if the secondary had 'only' been in the top 20 this defense would have been borderline legendary.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
No nothing to do with rules and Buzzard pretty much said what I think. Also, I believe teams trailing big will go completely go away from conventional wisdom and take risks they normally wouldn't do and all of a sudden the other team is the one reeling and the wheels come off.
One thing IMO that CNS can improve on is coaching like he expects the players to play.

This is what I mean: Numerous times we've been fortunate to go into halftime with a sizeable lead...seemingly playing at the top of our game...and CNS will tell the sideline reporter "We got to come out and play like the score is 0-0."

However, what we've seen is the coaches don't seem to coach like it's 0-0 in the second half.

We all agree that there is a time to "call off the dogs" but with today's offenses the time is not in the 3rd quarter when you've only got a 2 or 3 td lead.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

nope you are wrong. Gary Danielson says that doesn't exist.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I like the hire because CNS likes the hire. But our issues on defense do not start & end with the DB's IMO.
people were running on us at will. I don't know he answer or issue, but I'm sure CNS does.
Idk what you watched this year but we had one game that we had that problem this year in OSU and they won the championship easily.

A running qb like does not exactly count as a rushing attack to coach's either unless it's an offense like the barn or Oregon. We had a huge problem in the secondary and I think it's a mix of coaching and lack of athletes back there. Landon was a great run stopper and SS but not great in coverage yet he was the best cover guy which is a problem.

Getting Tucker is not great only for the secondary but for the whole defense because he brings in experience and will help game plan. Just cause a coach coaches one position doesn't mean he doesn't help game plan and improve the defense as a whole. His experience will bring new blitzes and possibly coverages and alignments as long with new techniques in covering a guy.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Giving up 2 long runs against OSU means teams ran at will on us? Take a look at the entire body of work not the last thing you saw.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
One thing IMO that CNS can improve on is coaching like he expects the players to play.

This is what I mean: Numerous times we've been fortunate to go into halftime with a sizeable lead...seemingly playing at the top of our game...and CNS will tell the sideline reporter "We got to come out and play like the score is 0-0."

However, what we've seen is the coaches don't seem to coach like it's 0-0 in the second half.

We all agree that there is a time to "call off the dogs" but with today's offenses the time is not in the 3rd quarter when you've only got a 2 or 3 td lead.
I couldn't agree more. I thought that the 2010 Auburn game would end that forever but apparently old habits die hard. I also think it applies to when we have the young guys in and are finishing off an opponent, we should call the game like a normal game. With the attrition that we have from the NFL draft it is imperative that our young guys get as many chances to play as possible. Those opportunities should be close to real game situations, not just running up the gut 3 times.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I think coach baker will be welcome at bama, and about time to get a defensive back coach to help stop the drain on def back play the last two years. pitiful, considering the athletes we are getting each year. guys falling down in coverage, a receiver covered by two def backs make a catch anyway. I would rather see on several occasions, a 15 yard penalty than just hoping a drop. we just did not cover the perimeter like we use to. tackling saw shoddy often. if not for Collins, a complete disaster. the loss to ohio st can be attributed to several areas, but to me the biggest play was when Collins went down, and ragland we put in Hamilton a freshman, and they made one great block on Hamilton and Elliott was gone 85 yards. amazing, there was no opposition anywhere else on that play. we got beat, by a team fired up, talented at key positions, and well coached.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Idk what you watched this year but we had one game that we had that problem this year in OSU and they won the championship easily.

A running qb like does not exactly count as a rushing attack to coach's either unless it's an offense like the barn or Oregon. We had a huge problem in the secondary and I think it's a mix of coaching and lack of athletes back there. Landon was a great run stopper and SS but not great in coverage yet he was the best cover guy which is a problem.

Getting Tucker is not great only for the secondary but for the whole defense because he brings in experience and will help game plan. Just cause a coach coaches one position doesn't mean he doesn't help game plan and improve the defense as a whole. His experience will bring new blitzes and possibly coverages and alignments as long with new techniques in covering a guy.
Beg to differ on who our best cover guy was - it was far and away Cyrus Jones this year. 2013 was rough for him, but he brought his lunchpail to work every game in 2014 and was never consistently challenged like some of the other guys. what I think was really lacking was a ball-hawk at FS to help over the top. I was thankful that Perry was able to get another year and play because we didn't have anyone else behind who would have been better, and he actually played very well except for against the deep ball. The problem is I don't know that we have anyone on the roster right now who fits the bill either. Spring will be interesting.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Beg to differ on who our best cover guy was - it was far and away Cyrus Jones this year. 2013 was rough for him, but he brought his lunchpail to work every game in 2014 and was never consistently challenged like some of the other guys. what I think was really lacking was a ball-hawk at FS to help over the top. I was thankful that Perry was able to get another year and play because we didn't have anyone else behind who would have been better, and he actually played very well except for against the deep ball. The problem is I don't know that we have anyone on the roster right now who fits the bill either. Spring will be interesting.
That's one of the reason I think we would benefit from EJ moving to safety... that is of course assuming tony brown is as advertised...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.