What has happened to Texas and Oklahoma?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Any idea what has happened to Texas and Oklahoma? They are mired in 14th and 15th on 24/7 rankings and don't have many spaces left. I remember when Texas was always in the top five. Each Power 5 conference has at least two teams ahead of them. Stoops seems to have had his best days at Oklahoma. West Va is 30th, at #3 in the B12. TCU and Baylor don't seem to be having great years either.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Any idea what has happened to Texas and Oklahoma? They are mired in 14th and 15th on 24/7 rankings and don't have many spaces left. I remember when Texas was always in the top five. Each Power 5 conference has at least two teams ahead of them. Stoops seems to have had his best days at Oklahoma. West Va is 30th, at #3 in the B12. TCU and Baylor don't seem to be having great years either.
When you blow up your conference, people notice.

They'll have their days again when they find the right mix. Also, I think it would be interesting to try to mark where the real threshold of impact is with these rankings. For example, I suspect that any team in the top 5 has a pretty equal shot at good results, because at that point there's plenty of talent and it is more how that talent develops. I'd suspect there are some identifiable thresholds in there, but I'm not really sure where they are. My gut says that 14 and 15 are in a 1B area, where there's less room for error than a top 5, but every possibility of good results.

What is interesting to me is that they seem to rise and fall together. Instead of OK being able to really capitalize on the teasips' down period, it seems they need Texas to be strong to get full value out of their own brand.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
For Texas Strong recruits a certain type of player. He does his own evaluations and it is more about character with him. Some of the higher rated players didn't even get an offer from them.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I wouldn't put too much stock in TCU and Baylor for not having a stellar recruitment class despite what they did in 2014. they have proven time and time again, its more of their schemes than the players themselves. granted they do get some great athletes here and there, but they have done a marvelous job of developing 3* kids to fit their schemes much better than teams that are loaded with higher rated recruits.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
For Texas Strong recruits a certain type of player. He does his own evaluations and it is more about character with him. Some of the higher rated players didn't even get an offer from them.
That is what you call cleaning up a lot of manure from the previous Regime...........:cool2:

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
I wouldn't put too much stock in TCU and Baylor for not having a stellar recruitment class despite what they did in 2014. they have proven time and time again, its more of their schemes than the players themselves. granted they do get some great athletes here and there, but they have done a marvelous job of developing 3* kids to fit their schemes much better than teams that are loaded with higher rated recruits.
TCU and Baylor only contend when they have Junior and Senior laden teams. It's a cycle with them.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yeah, like Ga Tech and Navy with the wishbone they over-achieve. But I was expecting a bump after both finished the way they did, especially TCU who won their bowl game. I guess the type of players they recruit don't really care about the record.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Two things, IMO:

Overall style of play and philosophical approach to the game has changed for the worse--just try to outscore instead of dominate

The SEC--Extension of footprint into Texas and Missouri

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.