Where Things Stand -- January 26, 2015

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We`ll still have a great class, but it may be less than accurate to say that we filled our needs if recent developments come to pass. Agree? Disagree?
If we don't sign another OT your statement will be accurate. Lets get Charlot on board and I'm sure we will have a nice surprise or two on signing day. Even w/o surprises it is still the #1 class.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I want to preface this by saying that this is one of the MOST impressive classes we have had at Alabama ever. Top to bottom it is absolutely loaded with talent.

The last few weeks, however, have been quite puzzling to say the least. Down the stretch we wanted to add at least one OT (a huge need), and hoped to add at least one (if not two) WR. We looked REALLY good on two fronts with OT (IP and CVO), and had both of those just kinda go up in flames strangely (not so much with CVO, as he was iffy due to qualifying anyways). Then we seemed almost a lock for KJ Hill as little as a week ago, and then suddenly tOSU jumped in to the race and is now looking like the spot he lands (or not depending on the source).

As I, and many others, say all the time within our recruiting speak "the situation is very fluid". Well, usually it seems to work out fluidly for us in the end...now it seems like the shoe has fallen on the other foot.

We should still (barring anything crazy) end up with the #1 class, and have nothing to hang our heads over. This is just an indicator that recruiting each year is becoming more and more difficult, and that's one reason why we (IMO) upgraded our coaching staff a bit.

Last edited:

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Worst case scenario for us is we add only Charlot and strike out with everyone else. We still have a tremendous class. I know the OT spot has been a disappointment, but we do have MW and the staff is very high on him. He apparently has shown a lot of improvement and has the frame to be LT or RT. It'll be a position of need next year, just like TE and ILB.

The Prince situation was just weird, but I'm glad the staff didn't seem to try to hang on as it gives us flexibility if CeCe or Richmond decided to roll with us.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
What is the common denominator with both Prince and Hill? Urban Meyer and Ohio St. Meyer will go out of his way to stick it to Saban and Bama every chance he gets. i really believe that. Yes- he beat Bama in the playoff this year-but i really believe he is obsessed with continuing to prove he is better than Nick. Those beatings he took from the Tide have never really left Urban's soul. Losing Trent Richardson to Bama galled him almost as much. Not the last of these type of stories.Q
I want to preface this by saying that this is one of the MOST impressive classes we have had at Alabama ever. Top to bottom it is absolutely loaded with talent.

The last few weeks, however, have been quite puzzling to say the least. Down the stretch we wanted to add at least one OT (a huge need), and hoped to add at least one (if not two) WR. We looked REALLY good on two fronts with OT (IP and CVO), and had both of those just kinda go up in flames strangely (not so much with CVO, as he was iffy due to qualifying anyways). Then we seemed almost a lock for KJ Hill as little as a week ago, and then suddenly tOSU jumped in to the race and is now looking like the spot he lands (or not depending on the source).

As I, and many others, say all the time within our recruiting speak "the situation is very fluid". Well, usually it seems to work out fluidly for us in the end...now it seems like the shoe has fallen on the other foot.

We should still (barring anything crazy) end up with the #1 class, and have nothing to hang our heads over. This is just an indicator that recruiting each year is becoming more and more difficult, and that's one reason why we (IMO) upgraded our coaching staff a bit.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know what Urban is telling these kids, but they are also reaping the benefits of two straight years of success and then the National Championship.

Silver lining is, we probably won't be meeting them again anytime soon and if we do we know how good CNS is revenge games.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Possibly just my pessimism, but I don't like the Ohio State folks saying he committed and him refuting it. Just seems like a silent commit that was leaked and he's trying to keep it a secret until Wednesday for a "show."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I think some people need step back off the ledge a little (not so much here, but twitter has been a TRIP today!:rolleyes:). The truth is with KJ Hill we're "losing" what we never really had. It was assumed he'd come after he de-committed, but that was never a definite. TBO, I'd be much more disappointed if we cannot get Charlot's signature. On Prince, OT is definitely a need, there's a reason we slow played him in the first place. He is most likely 2 years away from seeing the field in the best case scenario. He is going to have to add a lot of size and strength to contribute. I'm not saying we didn't want or need him, but if we sign an elite OT (or 2) next year, it's nothing we can't overcome. As Mack suggested, Womack may be another Warmack, and be a sleeper that was somewhat overlooked. On McGraw and Custis, they are basically this year's Stephen Roberts and Kalverez Bessent. I am way, Way, WAY more concerned with keeping Fitzpatrick and Sheffield committed.

As far as Richmond, Wanogho, and CeCe, I consider them to longshots, but maybe we'll get lucky. If we keep who we have, we're going to have a fantastic class anyway. If we can pull any of these guys, it will just be icing on the cake.

Plus we have to save at least one spot for Braxton Miller!:biggrin:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Possibly just my pessimism, but I don't like the Ohio State folks saying he committed and him refuting it. Just seems like a silent commit that was leaked and he's trying to keep it a secret until Wednesday for a "show."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sure seems that way.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Richmond did not show last night. OM coaches were with him within a couple hour of the tweet that said he was visiting Bama.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Kid needs to go do what he and his family want him to do. Not what the Ole Miss coaches demand. Something about Freeze and Ole Miss and some of their tactics that just does not pass the smell test. And please do not tell me it is just recruiting. I do not buy it.
Richmond did not show last night. OM coaches were with him within a couple hour of the tweet that said he was visiting Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.