Where Things Stand -- January 26, 2015

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
How does this reflect on Cristobal?
It doesn't. This is on the head man...

As I've been consistent with...I don't always agree with his methods, but I can't/don't argue with the results. Win some, you lose some.

And you know...miracles happen. We've got a few more days before a lot of these kids have to put pen to paper. We might steal one.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
How does this reflect on Cristobal?
And while we're on Cristobal, here's what he's delivered this class as a primary recruiter:

Calvin Ridley - 5* WR
Daron Payne - 5* DT
Minkah Fitzpatrick - 5* CB
Richie Petitbon - 4* OL
Dallas Warmack - 4* OL
Shaun Burgess-Becker - 4* ATH
Christian Bell - 3* OLB

I'd say he's done good work

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
8 Guys that folks in the know think we still have a shot with....with commentary on what I've heard and how I think it shakes out.

1. Lawrence Cager -committed to Miami...because his lead recruiter extended an offer and told him it was a committable offer without running it by the head man. His family was hot. He wanted to commit at his All-Star game, but as it turned out, he couldn't..and thus he committed to Miami. He's NOW been told that there is a spot for him if he wants to come aboard. Which leads me to believe that

2. KJ Hill is out. Folks think we're still in play. He was committed to Arkansas. But my folks in Arkansas told me that "he's a better fit at a place like Alabama or Ohio St. We don't need his type". Exact words. But whatever. I think he's going to tOSU. But others think we have a shot. If we did, I personally don't think Cager would now have a firm offer. But I've been wrong before.

3. Daylon Charlot. Was committed then decommitted. I think he's going to LSU, but there is a VERY STRONG belief that we hang on to him. He's not scheduled to take any visits anywhere this weekend and our staff expects him to come on board.

4. Terry Godwin. committed to UGA, but both Bama & Auburn are making hard pushes. Mike Bobo, who's no longer there, was one of his recruiters. I think he stays with UGA.

5. Drew Richmond. Kid comes from a good home. Great family. Ole Miss is selling him on playing right away and sliding over to LT once Tunsil leaves next year. The staff is hard after him though. Our pursuit of him has caused us to inadvertantly push some others away, like..

6. Isaiah Prince. Said in an earlier post about how it all went down with him. He wanted to commit on his OV, but we told him about a numbers crunch. Again...family was hot about it. We then told him he could commit if he didn't visit anywhere else. He agreed..and then wound up in Columbus with Urban Meyer. And he's scheduled to go to Maryland this weekend. Who knows...maybe we can still pull him.

7. CeCe Jefferson...was thought to be foregone that Ole Miss had reeled him in. But he, too, is playing the game. There is a VERY strong belief within our ranks (i.e. our coaching staff) that there's a very good chance we get him on Wednesday. His coach has said that CeCe wanted to have "fireworks" (figuratively) at his announcement. So if he's been favored for Ole Miss, AU, or UF all this time and comes to us, that would be firework-worthy for me. I might even let off some literal ones.

8. Tyrone Wheatley, Jr. - I've always thought that he was a Michigan lock, being how he's a legacy and all...and I love Jim Harbaugh as a 49ers fan, but I've been told he's not for everybody. Richard Sherman played for him at Stanford and he hates his guts. And throws him under the bus every chance he gets. I have a cousin that played against Harbaugh 3 years while he was coach at San Diego and he doesn't have one single kind thing to say about him. So maybe Wheatley doesn't wind up at Michigan, but maybe he doesn't wind up here either. He's visiting Oregon this weekend.

UPDATE (1/30/15 11:05pm CST): Cager is definitely out. We tried to do some last minute damage control, but he politely declined and asked that we not wasted any resources in regards to visits. Tried to commit 3 times and we wouldn't accept it. He's firm to Miami, and his family is satisfied with it.

Last edited:

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
8 Guys that folks in the know think we still have a shot with....with commentary on what I've heard and how I think it shakes out.

1. Lawrence Cager -committed to Miami...because his lead recruiter extended an offer and told him it was a committable offer without running it by the head man. His family was hot. He wanted to commit at his All-Star game, but as it turned out, he couldn't..and thus he committed to Miami. He's NOW been told that there is a spot for him if he wants to come aboard. Which leads me to believe that "

2. KJ Hill is out. Folks think we're still in play. He was committed to Arkansas. But my folks in Arkansas told me that "he's a better fit at a place like Alabama or Ohio St. We don't need his type". Exact words. But whatever. I think he's going to tOSU. But others think we have a shot. If we did, I personally don't think Cager would now have a firm offer. But I've been wrong before.

3. Daylon Charlot. Was committed then decommitted. I think he's going to LSU, but there is a VERY STRONG belief that we hang on to him. He's not scheduled to take any visits anywhere this weekend and our staff expects him to come on board.

4. Terry Godwin. committed to UGA, but both Bama & Auburn are making hard pushes. Mike Bobo, who's no longer there, was one of his recruiters. I think he stays with UGA.

5. Drew Richmond. Kid comes from a good home. Great family. Ole Miss is selling him on playing right away and sliding over to LT once Tunsil leaves next year. The staff is hard after him though. Our pursuit of him has caused us to inadvertantly push some others away, like..

6. Isaiah Prince. Said in an earlier post about how it all went down with him. He wanted to commit on his OV, but we told him about a numbers crunch. Again...family was hot about it. We then told him he could commit if he didn't visit anywhere else. He agreed..and then wound up in Columbus with Urban Meyer. And he's scheduled to go to Maryland this weekend. Who knows...maybe we can still pull him.

7. CeCe Jefferson...was thought to be foregone that Ole Miss had reeled him in. But he, too, is playing the game. There is a VERY strong belief within our ranks (i.e. our coaching staff) that there's a very good chance we get him on Wednesday. His coach has said that CeCe wanted to have "fireworks" (figuratively) at his announcement. So if he's been favored for Ole Miss, AU, or UF all this time and comes to us, that would be firework-worthy for me. I might even let off some literal ones.

8. Tyrone Wheatley, Jr. - I've always thought that he was a Michigan lock, being how he's a legacy and all...and I love Jim Harbaugh as a 49ers fan, but I've been told he's not for everybody. Richard Sherman played for him at Stanford and he hates his guts. And throws him under the bus every chance he gets. I have a cousin that played against Harbaugh 3 years while he was coach at San Diego and he doesn't have one single kind thing to say about him. So maybe Wheatley doesn't wind up at Michigan, but maybe he doesn't wind up here either. He's visiting Oregon this weekend.
Very interesting. Thanks for the summary.
Meanwhile, just to cut the anxiety and tension, let me ask you this:
Out the the No. 1 classes of 2013 and 2014, how many solid prospects, who have not yet seen the field, or who have only made token appearances, are still around and ready to contribute this coming season? Personally, I'm going nuts with whether this one will stick, or that one will flip, and I'm thinking we might have as many as two dozen blue-chip players whom we are yet to hear from.
Liner, Humphrey, Brown, Foster, Foster? Shouldn't we be loaded, regardless of how well we finish next Wednesday?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Very interesting. Thanks for the summary.
Meanwhile, just to cut the anxiety and tension, let me ask you this:
Out the the No. 1 classes of 2013 and 2014, how many solid prospects, who have not yet seen the field, or who have only made token appearances, are still around and ready to contribute this coming season? Personally, I'm going nuts with whether this one will stick, or that one will flip, and I'm thinking we might have as many as two dozen blue-chip players whom we are yet to hear from.
Liner, Humphrey, Brown, Foster, Foster? Shouldn't we be loaded, regardless of how well we finish next Wednesday?
Yes...will have the #1 class regardless of any of these guys. This is just our greedy portion.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
Hmmm.... both winners, both hated. Just coincidence? I personally think not, but JMO.
CNS's frankness and honesty gets him consistent top 5 (better) recruiting classes but his honesty and frankness also cost him some good talent who listen to other recruiters who whisper sweet nothings and tell them only what they want to hear.
Don't know about Meyer but Saban sells his team and school to recruits and their parents. He does not bad mouth other schools to make his look better. When you are selling a Mercedes you don't have to mention Hyundai.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
UPDATE (1/30/15 11:05pm CST): Cager is definitely out. We tried to do some last minute damage control, but he politely declined and asked that we not wasted any resources in regards to visits. Tried to commit 3 times and we wouldn't accept it. He's firm to Miami, and his family is satisfied with it.

I can't blame the kid for that, and and thankful he has handled it the way he has (unlike IP). I have NO problem whatsoever with a player/family being a bit frustrated when they are getting such a push from a team, but then not being able to "commit" because they have to wait and see about numbers. That is totally understandable to me. What I DO have a problem with, is when they handle it poorly, and it makes everyone look bad in the situation...like the most recent one.

At least with Cager there was no circus attached. He wanted to commit, we told him we didn't know if we had room. He wanted to commit again, the same response. When we finally ask him, he declines and sticks with his current commit to the U. I can respect that.

I STILL don't understand the whole IP thing, but it bugs me to no end. Not that we may not sign him (happens every year), not that he may "choose" tOSU over Alabama (also happens every year), but that he's made a circus out of something that shouldn't have been. Had he not wanted to commit, then just don't.

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Anyone know if Leo could be in play for Bama now?
I read in another thread that he's visiting LSU. I don't know that it means that Bama is not a possibility, but nothing says him signing with Bama is any more likely now than before the decommitment (the most recent decommitment).

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

1. Lawrence Cager -committed to Miami...because his lead recruiter extended an offer and told him it was a committable offer without running it by the head man. His family was hot. He wanted to commit at his All-Star game, but as it turned out, he couldn't..and thus he committed to Miami. He's NOW been told that there is a spot for him if he wants to come aboard. Which leads me to believe that

So Mack, if Charlot were to end up at LSU, do you think we`re done barring a signing day flip? Those on your list appear to be long shots at best.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
So Mack, if Charlot were to end up at LSU, do you think we`re done barring a signing day flip? Those on your list appear to be long shots at best.
Really tough to tell. My personal belief is that we are done if/when Charlot comes aboard but we've seen surprises before (Kenny Bell, Rashan Evans, etc)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.