32 years ago today...1/26/83 Coach Bryant passed away

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I remember that game also.

From Al.com:

Why Wimp Sanderson's Alabama office was a tourist attraction

"We're going to play UCLA, the No. 1 team in the country, the next Saturday. On Wednesday, they come down and they say to me, 'Coach Bryant's just passed away.' So I went to Paul Jr. and I said, 'How do we need to handle it? CBS is there.' He always called him Poppa, and he said, 'Poppa would have wanted you to play.' So we put black armbands on, went to UCLA and won the game by two."

It's somewhat ironic that on the day Coach Bryant died our basketball team defeated number one ranked UCLA in Los Angeles.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Re: 32 years ago today...1/26/83

Sophomore in HS in Jacksonville Ark. We just came into shower after Off-season conditioning drills and I overheard our coaches discussing it. A couple of weeks later I quit football because the only thing I ever wanted to do was play for Coach Bryant. I've regretted ever since.
Only regret in my life is not staying on the team after walking on in 1974. I didn't think I was big enough after seeing those fellas up close. Sure loved the Bear. Miss him today as I know everyone here does.
:biga2:

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK

I was in 7th grade at Emerson Jr High in Enid, OK. My dad came to the school to tell me in person about Coach Bryant's passing. It was not news that could be passed over the phone and not something that could wait until after school. There were tears sitting in my dad's truck that day. By both of us. All the way in Oklahoma, Coach Bryant touched our lives like nothing I could explain to my friends here. He was truly a legend.

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA

I had gone to Nashville that day and before I left I called a friend to say hello. She asked me if I've heard about "The Bear" and I said "no". She told me that he had died.

And yes, I cried all the way back to Birmingham.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.