My predicament...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My PT (after hip replacement) was a former elite level gymnast. Her ability to motivate me beyond what I thought I could do would have made my old drill sergeant proud. Hope your rehab continues to go well.
As you can imagine, I've had a bunch. This is the first time I've had in home visits. However, my wife observed her and made the statement that she didn't believe the PT could do the things she was demanding of me...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Glad you're back up and getting around, Earle. I have my first consultation coming up this coming Wednesday pm. I hope my surgery and rehab go as well as yours.
In your case, you want someone who does knees all day long. However, most of the knee guys do hips as well, like my guy, Davis in the Andrews group. When I was investigating doing the hip resurfacing procedure, Davis, IIRC, was the only doc in the state who'd done more than 500...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, I did. I'd started by investigating resurfacing but concluded that I wasn't going to end up with a large enough ball to offer any advantage past traditional. The Brand is Zimmerman, and I was happy with it, so far, at least...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Update - Well back home after my two-week check up on the new hip. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's walked back in with no crutches, cane, walker, etc., in two weeks, but I think that I can be sure I'm the only 75-year old man who has. As a result, what I got was a mixture of praise and exhortations not to get into too much of a hurry and do something crazy. Then's when I knew he'd been talking to my wife, which he finally admitted. :D She confessed today that she'd gotten to him while I was still unconscious...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Update - . I'm not sure if I'm the only one who's walked back in with no crutches, cane, walker, etc., ...
Sounds like you're doing very well, that's great!

Funny story: I met a man in my doc's waiting room during one of my pre hip surgery visits. He was really having a hard time walking, as bad as I've seen without a cane. We struck up a conversation and turns out he was pre-surgery too and having his surgery within a day or two of me. We wished each other well; time passes, and I have my surgery. Several days later I drive up in my doc's parking lot for the followup visit. Well, there's this same guy struggling to walk up the sidewalk to the office still with no cane. I told my wife that if that guy can do it without a cane so soon after surgery, so can I. It was a tough uphill pull but I made it. I tottered in to the waiting room and sat down near the guy. I asked how his hip surgery went and told him that he had inspired me to put down the cane. He laughed and said, "Oh, I had shoulder surgery, it was giving more trouble than the hip."

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sounds like you're doing very well, that's great!

Funny story: I met a man in my doc's waiting room during one of my pre hip surgery visits. He was really having a hard time walking, as bad as I've seen without a cane. We struck up a conversation and turns out he was pre-surgery too and having his surgery within a day or two of me. We wished each other well; time passes, and I have my surgery. Several days later I drive up in my doc's parking lot for the followup visit. Well, there's this same guy struggling to walk up the sidewalk to the office still with no cane. I told my wife that if that guy can do it without a cane so soon after surgery, so can I. It was a tough uphill pull but I made it. I tottered in to the waiting room and sat down near the guy. I asked how his hip surgery went and told him that he had inspired me to put down the cane. He laughed and said, "Oh, I had shoulder surgery, it was giving more trouble than the hip."
That's a good one. They told me the knee needed replaced also. I told them it didn't hurt and, until it did, there would be no talk about replacing it... :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Glad you're back up and getting around, Earle. I have my first consultation coming up this coming Wednesday pm. I hope my surgery and rehab go as well as yours.
BTW, if you're in the 50-55 range, possibly even a bit above, I'd give a long, hard look towards resurfacing, as opposed to replacement. It's bone-sparing, in case of later necessary revision and it gives the largest possible ball, close as possible to the original ball, which greatly lowers the possibility of later dislocation. When I did my research, Dr. Davis seemed to have done more than any other surgeon in state...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
BTW, if you're in the 50-55 range, possibly even a bit above, I'd give a long, hard look towards resurfacing, as opposed to replacement. It's bone-sparing, in case of later necessary revision and it gives the largest possible ball, close as possible to the original ball, which greatly lowers the possibility of later dislocation. When I did my research, Dr. Davis seemed to have done more than any other surgeon in state...
I'm 65, and I'm going to ask the surgeon tomorrow if there are options to replacement. The problem though is
that the cartilage is gone so I'm not sure what options are available to fix that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm 65, and I'm going to ask the surgeon tomorrow if there are options to replacement. The problem though is
that the cartilage is gone so I'm not sure what options are available to fix that.
You're on the upper age limit, normal conditions, for resurfacing. It has to yield a larger ball for it to be helpful. In our cases, there's no benefit to doing the resurfacing. I would ask him if he does many anterior replacements, there's so much difference in recovery time, using anterior, as opposed to posterior. There's no way I'd be able to do what I'm doing now on a posterior, where they have to slice through your butt. If he seems reticent or tries to talk you out of it, send me a PM...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.