My predicament...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
I had mine replaced back in September and loving it, the only pain I have now are the muscles around it when I exercise. I had my doctor do the anterior approach so the chance of dislocation is reduced to almost 0. I was out of work a month but I was on my feet the next day walking and getting ready for the in-home rehab.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had mine replaced back in September and loving it, the only pain I have now are the muscles around it when I exercise. I had my doctor do the anterior approach so the chance of dislocation is reduced to almost 0. I was out of work a month but I was on my feet the next day walking and getting ready for the in-home rehab.
Those are the reasons I'm doing the anterior. I looked into resurfacing, but now that the MoM joints have been recalled, it wasn't going to yield a ball size advantage, so I dropped it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How soon could you have worked from home? Also, is the pain from exercise around the incision...

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
My dad had both hips done within about 5 months of each other. Anterior approach. He had no restrictions on the PT. The therapist kept trying to tell him "he couldn't" and he got ill with them and told them the Dr. said "no restrictions". He set records at the hospital for how many steps he took up and down the hallway. I think the PT is up to how much you can endure. He went home and the therapist that came to exercise him told him frankly that there was nothing they could do for him. He was way ahead of what they were supposed to be doing. He never had pain meds but for a day or so past the surgery. He wanted off them quick.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My dad had both hips done within about 5 months of each other. Anterior approach. He had no restrictions on the PT. The therapist kept trying to tell him "he couldn't" and he got ill with them and told them the Dr. said "no restrictions". He set records at the hospital for how many steps he took up and down the hallway. I think the PT is up to how much you can endure. He went home and the therapist that came to exercise him told him frankly that there was nothing they could do for him. He was way ahead of what they were supposed to be doing. He never had pain meds but for a day or so past the surgery. He wanted off them quick.
That sounds like the PTs didn't understand the difference in the PT protocol for anterior and posterior approaches - and that they weren't prepared for the rehab profile for a anterior approach patient...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"Learn to live with it"

top kek
After a while, that can't be done, if one has an alternative. Mine is the type called "Rapidly Destructive Osteoarthritis." Three months ago, I had no pain and didn't know I had a problem. IOW, I'm heading for a wheelchair and, in view of that, what's one more orthopedic surgery when you've already had seven...?

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
After a while, that can't be done, if one has an alternative. Mine is the type called "Rapidly Destructive Osteoarthritis." Three months ago, I had no pain and didn't know a problem. IOW, I'm heading for a wheelchair and, in view of that, what's one more orthopedic surgery when you've already had seven...?

This is terrible HSV, when are you planning on undertaking your procedure?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Feb. 9. Dr. Davis of the Andrews group is doing it...
Best of luck Earle. We'll be praying for you. No such thing as minor surgery when it's on you. My dad had a full replacement. He put it off until the pain was literally unbearable. I could not understand why he waited until I fully grasped the surgeries he had before it. Colon cancer followed by a kidney being removed with a cancerous tumor in it. Two brutal surgeries and recoveries back to back.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Best of luck Earle. We'll be praying for you. No such thing as minor surgery when it's on you. My dad had a full replacement. He put it off until the pain was literally unbearable. I could not understand why he waited until I fully grasped the surgeries he had before it. Colon cancer followed by a kidney being removed with a cancerous tumor in it. Two brutal surgeries and recoveries back to back.
All I can say is OW OW! My hip is not to that point. Some days, the pain is minor enough that I almost forget about it. However, if I make any sort of a twisting motion, which rotates the femoral head in the acetabular socket, I'm reminded by real jolt of pain. Other days, I have so much pain, I can't disguise a limp. I've finally started using my handicapped placard. I have to keep my gait straight ahead and remember the mantra "Up with the good; down with the bad," when I'm ascending or descending steps. It really does work.

I thoughts and prayers will be with your dad. Kidney cancer is one of the more curable ones and colon cancer is, if caught early enough. In fact, my secretary was operated on for it about 8-9 months ago. She had such a good outcome, she didn't have to have chemo or radiation. For years, I'd tried to get a colonoscopy, but she just said "If it's there, it's there." Both her mother and her grandmother had died with it. If you haven't done it, you might think about a precautionary one...

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
This was pretty much my outcome also, the PT's don't do a lot of anterior rehabs so they're not real familiar with them I believe. I had no restrictions either once the doc released me to PT.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I had the anterior in 2008. I have the Zimmer brand hip. I had an overnight hospital stay and began rehab next day. The PT really challenged and helped me. That was 7 years ago and I would think surgical procedure and recovery protocols have improved. I don't ski black diamonds anymore but I can cruise no problem.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have no experience with this scenario (knock on wood) Earle but just wanted to offer my best wishes to you on your forthcoming procedure. Take care and please keep us posted if we can do anything for you. ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had the anterior in 2008. I have the Zimmer brand hip. I had an overnight hospital stay and began rehab next day. The PT really challenged and helped me. That was 7 years ago and I would think surgical procedure and recovery protocols have improved. I don't ski black diamonds anymore but I can cruise no problem.
I was always a high speed freak. However, I keep seeing that I can ski, but there are other cautions about not falling. It's not possible to ski the way I ski and never fall, usually spectacularly... :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You probably had the metal on metal joint. They recalled most of them last September. Frankly, if I could get it, I'd probably still opt for it. The slightly elevated CoCr blood levels just don't bother me that much, particularly at my age. I might feel differently, if I were 20-30 years younger, like a lot of the hip replacement patients. The anterior really hasn't changed a lot as far as the procedure. I was inclined to stay awake, but, after watching a video of the complete procedure, I'm beginning to waver a bit. Maybe if it didn't last an hour and a half...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I was always a high speed freak. However, I keep seeing that I can ski, but there are other cautions about not falling. It's not possible to ski the way I ski and never fall, usually spectacularly... :)
Ha, there are few slopes in the US that have not hosted one of my garage sale wipeouts. But most of my injuries were from inattentive or inexperienced skiers hitting me from behind. Good luck with your procedure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.