My predicament...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ha, there are few slopes in the US that have not hosted one of my garage sale wipeouts. But most of my injuries were from inattentive or inexperienced skiers hitting me from behind. Good luck with your procedure.
I don't think anyone ever caught me from behind unless I'd decided to ski backwards. :D When we had the place in Vail, the last run down to the Lionshead gondola head, where we usually ate lunch, could be fierce, when the wind was blowing up the slope. I'd typically turn around and ski down backwards. Liz would ski frontwards and advise me if I were coming up on somebody...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I don't think anyone ever caught me from behind unless I'd decided to ski backwards. :D When we had the place in Vail, the last run down to the Lionshead gondola head, where we usually ate lunch, could be fierce, when the wind was blowing up the slope. I'd typically turn around and ski down backwards. Liz would ski frontwards and advise me if I were coming up on somebody...
Gotcha. Love, love the Vail bowls, the whole resort, really. I was standing still on the side the times I got seriously plowed, thinking I was well out of harm's way. This was when I was still helping the kids get down. Broken ribs one time and a cut calf the other. I have always been a magnet for out of control skiers. Fortunately the bozos narrowly missed the kids and hit me.

It's a great feeling to be in the light, icy air at the top of a mountain, with a litle burn in your thighs, knowing you have a good long, challenging run one push away.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Gotcha. Love, love the Vail bowls, the whole resort, really. I was standing still on the side the times I got seriously plowed, thinking I was well out of harm's way. This was when I was still helping the kids get down. Broken ribs one time and a cut calf the other. I have always been a magnet for out of control skiers. Fortunately the bozos narrowly missed the kids and hit me.

It's a great feeling to be in the light, icy air at the top of a mountain, with a litle burn in your thighs, knowing you have a good long, challenging run one push away.
Well, I thought you meant while moving. I have been run into by out of control noobies a couple of times. They take two lessons and think they're good enough for blues. Winter Park used to have trails they graded blue-black. They were black incline, but they groomed them. I loved them. You could go as fast as you wanted. I've seen some spectacular wipeouts there also...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Well, I thought you meant while moving. I have been run into by out of control noobies a couple of times. They take two lessons and think they're good enough for blues. Winter Park used to have trails they graded blue-black. They were black incline, but they groomed them. I loved them. You could go as fast as you wanted. I've seen some spectacular wipeouts there also...
I had forgotten about those at Winter Park. Copper had a weird setup that tried to separate the skier skill levels with black, blue, green going left to right at the resort base, instead of top to bottom - each served by dedicated lifts. I couldn't get used to it, though.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I had forgotten about those at Winter Park. Copper had a weird setup that tried to separate the skier skill levels with black, blue, green going left to right at the resort base, instead of top to bottom - each served by dedicated lifts. I couldn't get used to it, though.
I was never a particular fan of Copper. I always tried to hit A-Basin a few times each season...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Growing up, my family always went to Colorado skiing during spring break. I got fairly decent at it and could handle most of the blue slopes without falling, though sometimes that was part of the fun. I haven't been in 30 years and doubt I could do it again.

Good luck with your surgery. How long will your recovery be?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Growing up, my family always went to Colorado skiing during spring break. I got fairly decent at it and could handle most of the blue slopes without falling, though sometimes that was part of the fun. I haven't been in 30 years and doubt I could do it again.

Good luck with your surgery. How long will your recovery be?
The answer is that it depends on which approach they take. My surgeon's agreed to do the anterior (front) approach, if at all possible. That rehab is 2-4 weeks total, but you're ambulatory quicker with less pain, because they are able to separate the muscles and tendons, with little cutting of the same. In the more traditional posterior approach, the total rehab stretches into months, because they have to sever major muscles and detach others. These muscles provide the muscular support for the hip joint, so the potential for early dislocation is much higher until these muscles heal. There are rather stringent precautionary requirements - no crossing of legs at the knee; don't bend the hip more than 90 degrees; don't pick anything up off the floor; sleep with pillow between your knees, etc., etc. The main disadvantage to the anterior approach is that it's trickier and the surgeon needs to have been trained in the procedure and as much practice as possible...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just want to wish you the best Monday, we'll all be thinking of you. Post an update when you can.
Thanks. I went down today to meet the surgeon and staff and to be pre-admitted. It was the most extensive I've ever had; took about 2 hours. I thought there would be a lot of complex measurement to see if I were a candidate for the anterior approach. Instead, the doctor and his PA eyeballed me and said I'd do just fine... ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Have your knees been replaced? I know you're mentioned having problems with them in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Have your knees been replaced? I know you're mentioned having problems with them in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I have. I took down shots of my right knee also. We saw the doctor's PA first and she said it needed replacing. Later, the doc said the same, independently. It's riding bone on bone, but it's not hurting, so I don't do anything until it does. Unlike the hip, where you can continue to do damage, in particular to the acetabulum (socket), the entire knee is replaced. I worded that badly. The knee is a hinge joint, although the recovery and rehab are harder for a knee than a hip. The hip is a ball and socket joint. As the ball (femoral head) grinds around in the socket with no cushioning cartilage. Eventually so much of the socket is removed that there's no good bone left to anchor a new socket in, so timing is more important with a hip, that it be caught and fixed before too much damage is done. I have a neighbor who tried an experimental procedure, she called it a "half hip," so she could keep running. She now has a terrible permanent limp...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle just texted me from the hospital (he can't log on to TF from there) - all went well and he's doing fine!
I apppreciate Brad's letting all know. I managed to finally get hooked to the net, after multiple Firefox warnings about selling my soul away. Of course the password to this site is a dead end, unless someone wants to become TIDE-HSV. Amazing surgery/surgeon. Pain level was zero upon waking and zero this AM. The nurses finally talked me into a pre-therapy pill. Now I wish I hadn't taken it. I won't bore anyone with the details (until later :)) Good to be back...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Glad to hear you are doing well. Hope therapy is quick and painless. Keep us updated.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
So your trip to run the Grand Canyon in a wash tub is back on?

Great news! Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thanks for the update Brad and Earle.

Glad to hear everything went well....looking forward to the debriefing!

(especially any hawt Bama nurse with seductive accent content!) :smile:

Take care Earle!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.