Former Alabama Punter Cody Mandell Signs with Green Bay packers

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Cowboys waste a lot of players' time, IMO. They do this every year - bring in players to push their current players in camp, but who they never really intend to allow to compete for a position on their roster. Cody was such a player last year. Dallas knew that they were going to keep Chris Jones. Jones was cheap, and had very good numbers in 2013. Cody out kicked Jones in the one preseason game that he participated in, and was promptly cut.

Jones had another solid season last year, so Dallas didn't exactly make a mistake, but Cody Mandell paid the price for their way of doing business. I hope that Cody is able to secure a job with Green Bay this year. He has the leg strength and accuracy, and the Packers need a punter, so he has a real chance.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Another reason I respect the Packers fan base: Look at the amount of comments made, about a free agent punter signing. Daaaang.
That's 'cause Mastay the punter went from team defensive MVP with his inside-the-15 punts to squib dribbler under the "tutelage" of GB special teams' "coach" (guarded use of the word) Shawn Slocum.

Anyhow, if Cody Mandell can keep the punter's place in the GB lineup warm until the Packers draft JK Scott in the first round as an early NFL draft entry, why, that would be delightful!

Great news. I like the Pack adding more Bama players. I don't know if Hubbard made the 53 man roster but if he did Mandell will make 4 Bama players (obviously Mandell has to win the job).
Hubbard made the 93-man roster - he got resigned from the Packers' practice squad the day after the Seattle debacle. Got a hunch he may make the 53-man roster next year, especially if Julius Peppers bids adieu to GB.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I never understood how some NFL teams handled the 53 man roster... I understand it's part of business.. but I've seen undrafted players that outperformed veterans and still get cut....

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I never understood how some NFL teams handled the 53 man roster... I understand it's part of business.. but I've seen undrafted players that outperformed veterans and still get cut....
Usually the opposite in Green Bay, under GM Ted Thompson - especially if you substitute "I've seen late-round drafted players" that almost always make the team after outperforming veterans. With the glaring exception of TT's all-encompassing blind spot for No. 50, the Great White Hoax Hawk...

Following on to bamahippie's comment

Another reason I respect the Packers fan base: Look at the amount of comments made, about a free agent punter signing. Daaaang.
suggest y'all read the Packer 2014 postmortems from the longtime football writer for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Bob McGinn, and the brutal honesty and passion (plus years in the film room) that he puts into his grading system:
Packers 2014 individual report card: Defense
Packers 2014 individual report card: Offense
Packers 2014 individual report card: Special teams
Packers 2014 team report card

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Usually the opposite in Green Bay, under GM Ted Thompson - especially if you substitute "I've seen late-round drafted players" that almost always make the team after outperforming veterans. With the glaring exception of TT's all-encompassing blind spot for No. 50, the Great White Hoax Hawk...

Following on to bamahippie's comment

suggest y'all read the Packer 2014 postmortems from the longtime football writer for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Bob McGinn, and the brutal honesty and passion (plus years in the film room) that he puts into his grading system:
Packers 2014 individual report card: Defense
Packers 2014 individual report card: Offense
Packers 2014 individual report card: Special teams
Packers 2014 team report card
Dude gave a C for Ha-Ha? He made the NFL All-Rookie team.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Dude gave a C for Ha-Ha? He made the NFL All-Rookie team.
Yeah, but I think he was grading him against all other players in the league, not just the rookies. Ha Ha had a good year against the run, but struggled a little early in pass defense. He played lights out in the NFCCG except for that one play at the goal line. I think he's going to be a GREAT player over the next 5-10 years, but overall for the year, I don't think he was a whole lot better than average for an NFL safety. Very few rookies are.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, but I think he was grading him against all other players in the league, not just the rookies. Ha Ha had a good year against the run, but struggled a little early in pass defense. He played lights out in the NFCCG except for that one play at the goal line. I think he's going to be a GREAT player over the next 5-10 years, but overall for the year, I don't think he was a whole lot better than average for an NFL safety. Very few rookies are.
Agreed - toughest position in the league to step into and be successful at for a first-year man.

Think also that the writer is setting a higher bar for Ha Ha because he sees the potential bursting out of his jersey seams. The Packers are obviously thrilled with what he contributed this year in the big picture, especially in taking the onus off an underperforming secondary besides bolstering it with stout run support.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.