Link: Alabama Football History: Frank Thomas

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Not many know that Coach Bryant is part of the Knute Rockne Coaching tree, and it's because he played for Coach Thomas who played for Rockne. He also brought the "Notre Dame Box" to the state of Alabama.

From the Bryant Museum:

Coach Frank Thomas set the stage for long-term wins for the Crimson Tide

In addition to the college and professional coaches, at least 62 former Thomas players went on to become high school coaches, most of them in the state of Alabama, and many of those coaches produced players who later playedatAlabama. No doubt Thomas had that idea in mind as he helped many of his former players land coaching positions.

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The Notre Dame Box is one Offense that I did not like. I learned it from a Barn grad.

I did not like shifting into formation in what others have as the QB position. That position was just a BLOCKING position for the other backs. Either go down and block a linebacker, or defensive back or anyone in the runner's way. I don't recall that position receiving passes, but if I had coached it, I would have added that wrinkle.

The single wing (Tennercee's offense), I guess, is the same offense without the shifting. I still have those steps down that were used to shift.

Not being able to see the Notre Dame Box as played by Alabama, I wonder if they had trick plays out of that offense or were they just BULLDOZING the defense down the field?

If you have a dominant line and a great halfback and a bulldozer at fullback, I guess you can be effective. From my memory the passing is done
by a halfback who hands off to another halfback, the fullback, runs it himself or throws the ball. I don't think we passed more than 5 to 10 times in a game.

We never played another high school team that ran that offense. I think we were OUTDATED in running it! However, I guess any offense would easy to run if you had the talent to effectively run and execute it. Just seems like it would be an easy offense to DEFEND.

I was just thinking about cleats (football shoes) worn in the 1950's and 1960's. I'll bet no one could run a 4.25 40 in those heavy cleats.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
At the end of the Knute Rockne movie, they give a list of coaches who played for him. One they mention is Coach Thomas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Couldn't you imagine Sims, Henry, Fowler, and Yeldon on the field at the same time.

The Notre Dame Box is one Offense that I did not like. I learned it from a Barn grad.

I did not like shifting into formation in what others have as the QB position. That position was just a BLOCKING position for the other backs. Either go down and block a linebacker, or defensive back or anyone in the runner's way. I don't recall that position receiving passes, but if I had coached it, I would have added that wrinkle.

The single wing (Tennercee's offense), I guess, is the same offense without the shifting. I still have those steps down that were used to shift.

Not being able to see the Notre Dame Box as played by Alabama, I wonder if they had trick plays out of that offense or were they just BULLDOZING the defense down the field?

If you have a dominant line and a great halfback and a bulldozer at fullback, I guess you can be effective. From my memory the passing is done
by a halfback who hands off to another halfback, the fullback, runs it himself or throws the ball. I don't think we passed more than 5 to 10 times in a game.

We never played another high school team that ran that offense. I think we were OUTDATED in running it! However, I guess any offense would easy to run if you had the talent to effectively run and execute it. Just seems like it would be an easy offense to DEFEND.

I was just thinking about cleats (football shoes) worn in the 1950's and 1960's. I'll bet no one could run a 4.25 40 in those heavy cleats.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I don't think many talk about Red Drew, but one of Alabama's early great wins was the stomping of Syracuse 61 to 6 in the Orange Bowl. That is one of my all-time favorite wins.

After he left, things got a little depressing around Tuscaloosa until the arrival of Coach Bryant.

Why was "Ears" Whitworth so bad as a Coach at Alabama? Did he play for Coach Thomas at Alabama? I guess, when I think of "Ears", I think of Mike DuBose.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Harold "Red" Drew was an Asst. under Thomas.

I don't think many talk about Red Drew, but one of Alabama's early great wins was the stomping of Syracuse 61 to 6 in the Orange Bowl. That is one of my all-time favorite wins.

After he left, things got a little depressing around Tuscaloosa until the arrival of Coach Bryant.

Why was "Ears" Whitworth so bad as a Coach at Alabama? Did he play for Coach Thomas at Alabama? I guess, when I think of "Ears", I think of Mike DuBose.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Ears played at Alabama from 1930-1931, which puts him there under both Coach Wade in '30 and Coach Thomas in '31.

From 1950 to 1954, he coached at Oklahoma A&M, and compiled a 22–27–1 record. From 1955 to 1957, he coached at Alabama, where he posted a 4–24–2 record that included a 14-game losing streak from 1955 to 1956. In his first year at Alabama, Whitworth was only allowed to hire only two of his own coaches and forced to retain the rest of former coach Harold Drew's assistants. This included athletic director Hank Crisp, Whitworth's boss, who was in charge of the defense. Whitworth brought assistant coach Moose Johnson with him from Oklahoma A&M. Following successive 2–7–1 seasons in 1956 and 1957, Whitworth was fired and replaced by Bear Bryant. In 1951, while Whitworth was coaching Oklahoma A&M, he instigated the infamous Johnny Bright Incident, which occurred in the football game in Stillwater, Oklahoma, against the visiting Drake University Bulldogs.

Whitworth was an Alabama graduate and had played tackle on the football team alongside Fred Sington. He was an assistant football coach at Alabama, Louisiana State University, and the University of Georgia prior to becoming a head coach. In 1959, Whitworth returned as a line coach for Wally Butts' SEC champion Georgia team.

Whitworth was the head baseball coach at Georgia in 1943, compiling a 1–10 won-loss record.

Last edited:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Mine too, it was the very first football game I ever saw on TV. Our next door neighbor was the 1st in the neighborhood to buy a TV and about half the neighborhood dropped in at one time or another. The screen was only about 12 inches or so, but it sure had everyone's attention. :D

I remember being impressed by a young freshman named Bart Starr who threw 2 TD passes in mop up duty. He turned out pretty good. :tongue:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.