Wake, NC agree to OOC series.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This is the first time two Power 5 teams from the same league have agreed to face each other in nonconference play. The games will not count in the league standings.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...rest-demon-deacons-agree-nonconference-series

I have wondered why teams don't do this instead of claiming they have to be in the same division. Michigan and tOSU for example, could do this same thing, as could Texas and Oklahoma to balance out the divisions. Of course, Wake and NC are not players on the national scene, but still it is doable.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I believe Alabama and Ole Miss played year's ago as games scheduled between the schools and not scheduled by the conference (1980-81 maybe). There are probably other cases but I don't know of any more recent. I don't know if the SEC has any rules against it now either.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I believe Alabama and Ole Miss played year's ago as games scheduled between the schools and not scheduled by the conference (1980-81 maybe). There are probably other cases but I don't know of any more recent. I don't know if the SEC has any rules against it now either.
I remember that as well. It was odd because it didn't count in the conference standings.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It would be great to have a Sat. where the SEC West would play the East in non-conference games. Beats W. Kentucky.
In terms of what? Losing a home game every other year, or you just beating up the Alabama players even more?

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I would be curious as to how this would figure into the conference television agreements.

If the schools get to retain rights to televise these games through their third-tier packages, doesn't it potentially dilute the value of the rest of the ACC inventory for that game day?

And if the game was lopsided one way or another and the teams--however unlikely it may be--wound up playing again the ACC championship game, wouldn't the previous result undermine ticket sales and ratings?

Granted, neither of these teams are very good, and this probably won't elicit more than just a yawn if and when it happens, but it seems silly to me and appears to be a problem that could be solved by playing an additional conference game or two as opposed to clinging to 8 conference games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
All games prior to 1992 were scheduled between the schools and not by the conference. But they are wrong about UNC-WF being the first because that 1980-81 Bama-Ole Miss series holds that distinction. There was a minimum/maximum 6 conference games requirement instituted by the SEC in the 70's and the 80-81 Ole Miss series was scheduled as OOC games because both schools already had 6 conference games scheduled in those years.

Edit: As usual with new SEC rules, the 6 game min/max thingy was aimed at Bama. Coach Bryant always attempted to schedule all nine of the other SEC schools. He was never successful in doing that, but he was able to schedule 7 or 8 most years. SEC stepped in with the 6 game rule. The Ole Miss series in 80-81 occurred because he liked playing Ole Miss.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If it's against a fellow conference team, it should count as a conference game. Otherwise, are you playing another ACC team to avoid playing an SEC, B1G, Pac12, Big12 team? I don't get it. :conf2:
It only makes sense to me if the teams are rivals. Both Wake and NC are in-state schools, so I guess that could be it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, this pulls two Power 5 patsies out of the mix for real contenders.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
From what I've read, they like playing one another, but ACC scheduling doesn't always allow it. This is the fix.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Makes sense to me. Maybe we would do this if we lost Tn.
I would be shocked if the barn and UGA did not do this if the permanent cross divisional game was dropped. They played before there ever was an SEC. Why would what the SEC did or did not do effect that?

Using an old Danny Ford triple negative; they ain't never not played. The barn and UGA have played each other every year in which both fielded a football team ever since both started playing football!

Edit: About the Danny Ford thingy. Danny once said, "I ain't never not been a winner." :biggrin2:

Last edited:

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.