Link: Areas where Alabama can/needs to improve.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
yes, the problems with our secondary were obvious. however, there is little need to fret over the problems that could have happened but didn't
i'm not fretting about it, i'm simply saying that we were exposed more often than was made obvious by actual gains.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
DB play was bad....but most QBs Bama played stayed in a clear pocket most of the time without any pressure from the Bama DL.....you give any QB 6,7 8 seconds to pass, somebody is going to be open every play...and they were. How do you have so much time to throw 50 yard perfect passes so many times in every game. There is more to it than the DBs....of course the DBs mostly were in position, but didnt turn for the ball...but the QBs had plenty of time to throw a perfect pass as well....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the D staff have figured out the HUNH to a large degree. As a philosophy, the HUNH is not what gave us trouble all year. How many times did the defense have a HUNH team in 3rd and long and a bomb down the field bailed them out? It happened repeatedly against AU, Mizzou, and OHSt. That's a pass coverage problem more than a defensive philosophy problem.
the other two I can see, but OSU passed and gashed us with the run. The defensive philosphy does have a problem, and it is complexity. Watch the OSU game again and see how many times we sub on a defensive drive and how many OSU do. If you dont get CNS's defense you either ride the bench or only in on certain assignments. I understand you have to sub, but its like every play 3 come on and 3 come off, and this is the whole year. The secondary is an obvious problem

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
the other two I can see, but OSU passed and gashed us with the run. The defensive philosphy does have a problem, and it is complexity. Watch the OSU game again and see how many times we sub on a defensive drive and how many OSU do. If you dont get CNS's defense you either ride the bench or only in on certain assignments. I understand you have to sub, but its like every play 3 come on and 3 come off, and this is the whole year. The secondary is an obvious problem
yeah, but pay attention to where the subs are happening. it's almost always the DL, and now we are really rotating more to keep them fresh than we are because the package is different. The past couple of years we've really been a hybrid nickel defense that is either a 4-3-5 or a 3-3-5 depending on whether the jack LB puts his hand in the dirt and we've run that personnel grouping for a vast majority of the snaps. There's been a lot of consistency with the LBs and DBs on the field staying on the field - not like when Nico and CJ were splitting time. That said, there's still a good bit of complexity even though we're not running as many groupings as we used to.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
DB play was bad....but most QBs Bama played stayed in a clear pocket most of the time without any pressure from the Bama DL.....you give any QB 6,7 8 seconds to pass, somebody is going to be open every play...and they were. How do you have so much time to throw 50 yard perfect passes so many times in every game. There is more to it than the DBs....of course the DBs mostly were in position, but didnt turn for the ball...but the QBs had plenty of time to throw a perfect pass as well....
Really? I didn't think pass rush was that big of an issue this year, sure seems like it has been improved over the past few. The long plays I remember were mostly qbs scrambling around and basically chunking it up which I would lie more of the blame on the secondary. I wont name any names but I think we'll have at least 1 new starter at corner and we'll be gravy

Last edited:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
We had guys in position but they were not taught to be agressive enough.
I've seen so many people saying things like this and it has been driving me crazy. Rant incoming!

#1) How in the world would any of us know what our coaches are or are not teaching our players? What they do isn't necessarily what they were TAUGHT to do. It's not like they're being told "Hey, make sure you don't turn your head around. And please don't be aggressive when the ball is in the air."
#2) If the techniques they WERE teaching were so obviously NOT working, do you really think that they would continue to teach them the same way?

We have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. They have won multiple national championships and coached up multiple NFL DB's. I think it's safe to say that what they teach works WHEN EXECUTED. Ultimately the players have to make the plays and often they didn't quite do that this year.

Our DB's this past year were all 3 and low-4 star "athletes"/converted WR's or true freshmen. I believe everyone will be singing a different tune in 2016 when Brown, Humphrey, Fitzpatrick, et al are sophomores/juniors.

In the meantime, I think it's ridiculous to act like our coaches would be teaching techniques that would lead to our DB's being out of position, not aggressive, and just generally not great. And it's even more ridiculous to suggest that they are oblivious to any changes that do need to be made, like we forum posters know/recognize something the coaches don't.

This wasn't really directed at you, just that whole sentiment in general, because it's really been grinding my gears :) Rant off!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I've seen so many people saying things like this and it has been driving me crazy. Rant incoming!

#1) How in the world would any of us know what our coaches are or are not teaching our players? What they do isn't necessarily what they were TAUGHT to do. It's not like they're being told "Hey, make sure you don't turn your head around. And please don't be aggressive when the ball is in the air."
#2) If the techniques they WERE teaching were so obviously NOT working, do you really think that they would continue to teach them the same way?

We have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. They have won multiple national championships and coached up multiple NFL DB's. I think it's safe to say that what they teach works WHEN EXECUTED. Ultimately the players have to make the plays and often they didn't quite do that this year.

Our DB's this past year were all 3 and low-4 star "athletes"/converted WR's or true freshmen. I believe everyone will be singing a different tune in 2016 when Brown, Humphrey, Fitzpatrick, et al are sophomores/juniors.

In the meantime, I think it's ridiculous to act like our coaches would be teaching techniques that would lead to our DB's being out of position, not aggressive, and just generally not great. And it's even more ridiculous to suggest that they are oblivious to any changes that do need to be made, like we forum posters know/recognize something the coaches don't.

This wasn't really directed at you, just that whole sentiment in general, because it's really been grinding my gears :) Rant off!
Actually, Cyrus Jones was a very high 4 star, but it was as an athlete, and he was a WR the first year. This season he wasn't the issue though as he was probably the best guy in the secondary from a coverage standpoint. The rest is dead on, plus don't forget that Eddie was still really in recovery with his knee. That said, they beat out some of the other guys (cook, M Smith) who were rated a bit higher.

i think we will see one of two things happen. either eddie will improve (i.e. like Jones did from year one to year two), or we'll see Brown as the starter.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Actually, Cyrus Jones was a very high 4 star, but it was as an athlete, and he was a WR the first year. This season he wasn't the issue though as he was probably the best guy in the secondary from a coverage standpoint. The rest is dead on, plus don't forget that Eddie was still really in recovery with his knee. That said, they beat out some of the other guys (cook, M Smith) who were rated a bit higher.

i think we will see one of two things happen. either eddie will improve (i.e. like Jones did from year one to year two), or we'll see Brown as the starter.
I'd like to see EJ tried at safety if Brown beats him out. Unless he can't get his head around the position, I think he has the tools to be a heckuva safety!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
There was lot of talk about candidates to be moved to Safety.. few of them includes, Brown, Humphrey, or Jackson. This spring would be good time to keep eyes on CB/Safety/LB/WR and TE positions. I expect lot of movements at those positions with Mel Tucker and CNS.... i think we'll see few things we haven't seen before.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
There was lot of talk about candidates to be moved to Safety.. few of them includes, Brown, Humphrey, or Jackson. This spring would be good time to keep eyes on CB/Safety/LB/WR and TE positions. I expect lot of movements at those positions with Mel Tucker and CNS.... i think we'll see few things we haven't seen before.
agreed we'll see some experimentation. We almost have to since we're so thin at S right now, unless a true freshman steps up. Humphrey has the height and the range, but doesn't have the ideal size/strength. Both Brown and Jackson are more physical, but are a tad short. Really hoping we see Hootie emerge, and hopefully clark's knee is healed enough to contribute.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I will join in ranting about poor tackling technique, and it's coming from peewee to High School. Kids trying for the knock out to get the crowd yelling or the ESPN TV hit of the week.

It's been a long time since great tackling Linebackers were the norm straight out of HS. The same can be said of many safeties.

I've seen little advancement from guys like Ruben Foster who was supposed to be all world. The one hit on special teams against LSU was great, but poor technique.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.