Which Dog Do I Adopt?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Since we've off-tracked into the area of Rescues, let me share this brief story.
A former next-door neighbor of mine started "rescuing" stray dogs. I mean, she would roam the surrounding roads, highways, etc., looking for "abandoned" dogs. At first it was thought it was because she just had a kind heart. Then it became apparent that it was all because of the money she charged others for the dogs when they bought them from her.
One day her husband was taking her to work when an approaching vehicle crossed the center line and hit them head-on. Her airbag did not deploy and my neighbor was killed in the impact, but her husband survived. Soon afterward, he got rid of all the dogs, and eventually sold his home and moved out of state.
Just prior to this happening she had 28 dogs in her back yard, and her fence is only about 20' from my back bedroom. I could hear those dogs barking, howling, etc. all hours of the day and night. On more than one occasion, I'd open my back door and yell "SHUT UP!", but the only thing that did was make the rest of them start barking even louder.
Now I feel sorry for her husband's loss. I feel sorry that she died in the accident. But I've never been so grateful to finally start getting a good night's sleep as I have been since her departure.
Nobody called the police or animal control? Here, there's an ordinance governing the number of pets it's legal to own. I forget what it is, but it's not 28...

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
While all the others were barking and jumping around, she just walked up, looked at me, and said, "Please", with those doggie eyes of hers.
We recently adopted a dog from the shelter who had the same temperament when I was in the kennels. Something about just let me know she was the one. And after about 8 months of having her with us, my feelings were correct.

The thing about shelter animals that are older than a puppy... they know and appreciate what you've done.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I know that when I ever get another dog (I have three still kicking so hopefully it will be awhile) that it will be a rescue dog, and more than likely an older dog. I've seen so many posts on FB about people giving up their elderly dogs just because they started having bladder issues or some other non-sense that they didn't want to take the time to fix or care for.

Two of my dogs are over 10 years old so I was young when I got them. Of course, they came from breeders. As I got older, I said I would never buy from a breeder again because there are so many great dogs and cats in shelters needing homes.

Anyway, I would go with the one year old. :) Be sure to post pictures when you get her.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
To me, Beauty makes sense from both emotional and common sense standpoints. She needs you and seems to want you. Plus, Labs are usually stark raving mad lunatics until they're AT LEAST a year old. I love the breed (we have two from rescue), but they're destructive and straight up coocoo for CoaCo Puffs when they're young.

The puppies will get good homes in a heartbeat and Beauty needs you. You get to avoid a lot of the young-Lab craziness. I'd take Beauty. JMO.

So true. I don't think mine "grew up" until at least 2-3 years old. Sometimes at 10, I wonder if they are truly grown up. :)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I had a Lab/mix rescue dog when I was a kid. There's never been a greater dog. He slept in the bed with me until I graduated from Bama and I'm a sap but I still miss him.

Take Beauty. That's your dog. Please post a picture.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
No brainer--get all three..."been there, done that, got the t-shirt, bumper sticker, and autographed CD"...just adopted numbers 15 (Jack) and 16 (Andy) this summer, to be companions for 9 year old number 13 Sherrill, after we lost her brother, number 14 Skip, this past Spring. 28 is a stretch, but we did have 6 in the house and 3 in the garage/outside fenced dog run at one time...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Nobody called the police or animal control? Here, there's an ordinance governing the number of pets it's legal to own. I forget what it is, but it's not 28...
We live out in an unincorporated area of the county. Animal control works only 8-5 M-F and even then won't come out here unless on a pickup order by the courts or request by the Sheriff's office. The previous Sheriff's office was deaf and blind to any happenings out here that didn't relate to an auto accident, fire or criminal activity. Maybe with a new Sheriff in office, that can change. I'm not certain of that, only hopeful.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I know that when I ever get another dog (I have three still kicking so hopefully it will be awhile) that it will be a rescue dog, and more than likely an older dog. I've seen so many posts on FB about people giving up their elderly dogs just because they started having bladder issues or some other non-sense that they didn't want to take the time to fix or care for.

Two of my dogs are over 10 years old so I was young when I got them. Of course, they came from breeders. As I got older, I said I would never buy from a breeder again because there are so many great dogs and cats in shelters needing homes.

Anyway, I would go with the one year old. :) Be sure to post pictures when you get her.
Great post, Jessica...you clearly have a huge heart! Give your pups a belly rub from my 2 girls, please. :)

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
No brainer--get all three..."been there, done that, got the t-shirt, bumper sticker, and autographed CD"...just adopted numbers 15 (Jack) and 16 (Andy) this summer, to be companions for 9 year old number 13 Sherrill, after we lost her brother, number 14 Skip, this past Spring. 28 is a stretch, but we did have 6 in the house and 3 in the garage/outside fenced dog run at one time...
I agree, get all three, but that is why I have to stay away from those places I would bring them all home.

Mamacalled

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2000
Pelham, Al
Go with Beauty, you know you want to. You've been thinking about her, it's an easy choice. (Or heck, go ahead and get 2 dogs!)

/Thread Hijack

I wanted to share some of my experience.

I've given up on dealing with Rescues when it comes to finding a dog. I always wanted a Great Dane. For as long as I can recall I always thought they were the most amazing dogs. So finally, last year, my wife caved. We had bought a new house and finally had a big enough backyard. Time to look. Depending on which breed you're looking for, there's a plethora of organizations out there that can help. A lot of their dogs are in worse shape than any you've ever seen at a shelter. The problem is, most of these still charge high fees even for a rescue. They want to come do home inspections to see if your home is right for a dog from their rescue.

I get it, it's their prerogative to put the dogs they rescue into places they deem appropriate. But I'm not cool with letting strangers into my house and allowing them to judge my living conditions. No thanks.

When we got our Great Dane, last July (She was 2) I went online and found a site (I don't remember which one :frown:) I came across an ad a lady in Northern TN had posted. You could see the Kentucky state line from her home, so they were way up there. Their Dane had been killing the neighbors chickens on an almost weekly basis. They were at their wits end and had placed the ad online hoping someone would adopt her before they had to give her up to be put down. I talked to her over the phone, and made arrangements to come pick up Sadie. No hassle, no fuss, no adoption fee. She came with all her papers, all her medical records, etc... It was the best scenario I could imagine dealing with. Sadie has been far and away the greatest dog I've ever owned. Dane's really are gentle giants. Her bark is absolutely terrifying so if anyone is snooping around our backyard, they wont be for long. Her tail is a whip and it will absolutely bring you to your knees if she hits you in the wrong spot. But we wouldn't trade her for anything.

All that to say, if some of you are thinking about adopting, there are a lot of sites out there like petfinder.com or adoptapet.com that, at least to me, were much easier than dealing with a Rescue.
I have a very close friend that recues dogs and her heart can't be questioned. There is a reason why they will charge to rescue a dog. One is that many of the dogs they rescue have medical issues that need tending to and the money helps them offset those cost. Also, there are many unscrupulous people that search for "Dogs Free to Good Homes' that use them for bait dogs in dog fighting. These type people will not pay when they can find free dogs on craigslist, petfinder etc. That is also part of the reason that they like to inspect the homes.

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
I agree, get all three, but that is why I have to stay away from those places I would bring them all home.
I hear you, but of the 16 (so far), we picked up 2 at a 4-way stop, 3 (puppies) on the county road that we live on, one jumped INTO the 5 foot fenced area next to the garage that I built for the previous 3, 2 showed up (dumped) in our front yard, and one from a picnic we went to...of the remaining 7, 3 were from pet stores and 4 were adopted (pound, Feeders Supply, PetSmart)...down to 3 now, but I haven't been outside for an hour and a half...:rolleye2:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I have a very close friend that recues dogs and her heart can't be questioned. There is a reason why they will charge to rescue a dog. One is that many of the dogs they rescue have medical issues that need tending to and the money helps them offset those cost. Also, there are many unscrupulous people that search for "Dogs Free to Good Homes' that use them for bait dogs in dog fighting. These type people will not pay when they can find free dogs on craigslist, petfinder etc. That is also part of the reason that they like to inspect the homes.
Cool story. I guess since your friend has is a good and trustworthy person, we should apply that blanket to all people who run rescues. Blanket statements always work out well.

Look, I don't want a complete stranger coming into my home and judging it or me. It's as simple as that. Why would I want to allow a stranger to have that kind of power if I don't have to? There are other ways to find a great, loving, family dog than by paying a high fee to let a stranger come into your home & interview you. I'm not saying other people shouldn't do it. I gave my experience with the process & hoped it might help. Don't make a bigger deal out of it than what it is.

Sadie seems to be fitting in regardless of where we got her. She's just as destructive as the toddler and the 9 month old.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Cool story. I guess since your friend has is a good and trustworthy person, we should apply that blanket to all people who run rescues. Blanket statements always work out well.

Look, I don't want a complete stranger coming into my home and judging it or me. It's as simple as that. Why would I want to allow a stranger to have that kind of power if I don't have to? There are other ways to find a great, loving, family dog than by paying a high fee to let a stranger come into your home & interview you. I'm not saying other people shouldn't do it. I gave my experience with the process & hoped it might help. Don't make a bigger deal out of it than what it is.

Sadie seems to be fitting in regardless of where we got her. She's just as destructive as the toddler and the 9 month old.

You just had to post a picture with dirty diapers in it didn't you? :)

I'm glad those days are behind me.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, what did you end up doing?
I went today and asked them to let me take her outside in a fenced area so I could see how she acted around just me.
She ran around like a gazelle that had been set free. Then, she retrieved a ball and brought it to me.
I threw, she retrieved.
When I said sit, "she sat".
We did that for awhile.
Then I wanted to see how she acted when I just simply sat down in a chair. She came over, jumped up, put her paws in my lap. Then sat by the chair a minute, laid down, and just chilled. I loved that.
Thing I liked the most. When I played with her she didn't started biting my hand like most Labs will playfully but painfully do.
She seems to be very smart, healthy, and gentle. I thought about it all afternoon.
I'm going to get her tomorrow.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.