It's Long Past Time for a Change in Basketball Officiating and Rules

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
A couple of games ago Joe Dean, Jr. did the color for one of Bama's games. He commented he and new Bama assistant Reggie Witherspoon were on the NCAA Basketball Rules Committee at one point. The two of them proposed allowing for a sixth foul in the college game like in the NBA. Their reasoning - basketball is the only sport a player gets ejected for a certain number of "penalties." An offensive lineman doesn't get ejected after 5 false starts (otherwise, Leon Brown may not have finished a couple;)). Of course, personal fouls/technical fouls do warrant ejections.

As we know by watching the current product, the proposal didn't go anywhere.

I'm not using this post or thread as an excuse for Grant's poor coaching at times. I do, however, want to point out how an official can dictate a game in basketball more than he can in any other sport with the possible exception of an umpire's strike zone. Last night, Bama's offense had to immediately change after Jimmie picked up the two quick charge fouls. IIRC, a few other players were called for charges, too. That causes guys to be hesitant to go to the basket. Why risk getting called for the charge?

For a defensive minded team, their style of play immediately changes if the officials call every nudge. Then again, some officials will allow a team to maul the opponent without blowing a whistle.

Finally, it's time the conferences or the NCAA did something about the scheduling and punishment of officials. While there's no true designated SEC officials like in football, we do tend to see the same ones (TV Teddy, Doug Shows, Pat Adams, and a few others). The conferences and/or the NCAA need to start punishing officials for pathetic officiating jobs. There's no repercussion for the crap we see pretty much every game. Of course, the officials will be bad if they leave a game in Nashville to fly to Eugene to officiate an Oregon game the next night and then fly to Little Rock for an Arkansas game.

I've read and heard a few folks say they don't watch college basketball anymore because of the officiating. Don't blame them, either. Teams can't get any rhythm when a whistle is blown every 30 seconds in a game. Plus, the officiating varies from game to game and even half to half. It's frustrating as a fan of the game.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The officials need to be employees of the NCAA. I think most other sports the NCAA pays and employs the referees, judges and officials. At least there could be some accountability among the crews. They NCAA would score them and strike bad ones. There is no doubt that the officials now have a direct impact on who wins and loses. It is not supposed to be that way. I always heard the best officials were the ones you didn't notice, but the current group of officials live for being in the spotlight. We have games where there are 40 fouls called and games where one team shoots 2 or 3 times as many free throws as the other. The NCAA should be concerned since this is their cash cow and if they start losing viewers because of the officiating, their income will dry up.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I agree that the officiating needs an overhaul.

Also I would like a 25 second shot clock too. I can't stand teams spending 10 or more seconds with the PG standing at the top pointing around before moving the ball.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Did the SEC have a 6 foul rule several years ago (early 90's?) I don't remember that but while watching a replay of the LSU-Loyola Marymount replay recently I could have sworn the announcers mentioned the SEC having a 6 foul rule that negatively impacted them during tourney play when they had to go back to only having 5 fouls.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Good topic.

A proposal I heard not long ago: No disqualification for X-number of personal fouls. Instead, after a certain number of personals on a player [5 or 6 makes sense] the team being fouled shoots an extra free throw. If it it a one-shot foul, then it becomes two. If a two shot , then three. Or maybe a team gets an extra chance [three to make two or four to make three]. Something like that instead of removing players from the game.

No change for technical fouls.

Disqualifying players for a certain number of personal fouls NEVER made sense to me.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Good topic.

A proposal I heard not long ago: No disqualification for X-number of personal fouls. Instead, after a certain number of personals on a player [5 or 6 makes sense] the team being fouled shoots an extra free throw. If it it a one-shot foul, then it becomes two. If a two shot , then three. Or maybe a team gets an extra chance [three to make two or four to make three]. Something like that instead of removing players from the game.

No change for technical fouls.

Disqualifying players for a certain number of personal fouls NEVER made sense to me.
I think you would slow the game down to the point it would be unbearable because teams would make it a strategy to foul more and foul players that are poor free throw shooters. I think the rules are mostly fine as they are, the refs just need to be more consistent with how the call the game.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I think you would slow the game down to the point it would be unbearable because teams would make it a strategy to foul more and foul players that are poor free throw shooters. I think the rules are mostly fine as they are, the refs just need to be more consistent with how the call the game.
See your point regarding slowing the game, but think the extra free throw thing can still work. Still beats sitting people on the bench because of fouls, in this persons' opinion.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am one who has basically quit watching the game because of the officiating. The fact that I'd given up on Anthony Grant two years ago is beside the point, really.

To me, it is simply inexcusable that there would be so much blatant corruption or ineptitude with the officials. A block/charge call is almost always called incorrectly. Fouls are inconsistently called on one team vs. the other. Home teams always get privilege (except us, naturally). It became too much of a headache for me to endure and took all of the fun out of the game. I loved basketball growing up. No more.

I wish officials were held accountable. I wish there was a review for every game and I wish bad calls were publicly reprimanded and if they did not improve, the officials suspended. Once they returned from suspensions, if they same mistakes continued to be made, bar them for life. There is no good reason that any official should be entitled to their job. Get it right or go do something else.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Please no more Free Throw shooting contests!

1. What needs to happen is that we move the 3pt. line back to Pro dimensions.
2. Keep teams from camping in the lane by adopting a defensive 3 sec. just like the pros.
3. Maybe we could actually teach players how to guard someone using their feet.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am one who has basically quit watching the game because of the officiating. The fact that I'd given up on Anthony Grant two years ago is beside the point, really.

To me, it is simply inexcusable that there would be so much blatant corruption or ineptitude with the officials. A block/charge call is almost always called incorrectly. Fouls are inconsistently called on one team vs. the other. Home teams always get privilege (except us, naturally). It became too much of a headache for me to endure and took all of the fun out of the game. I loved basketball growing up. No more.

I wish officials were held accountable. I wish there was a review for every game and I wish bad calls were publicly reprimanded and if they did not improve, the officials suspended. Once they returned from suspensions, if they same mistakes continued to be made, bar them for life. There is no good reason that any official should be entitled to their job. Get it right or go do something else.
This is impossible. They are free and independent contractors - self employed. Last year our SEC office recommended that a couple of officials not be hired by the schools any more, accompanied by a weak statement by the SEC office to the effect that that was all they could do...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This is impossible. They are free and independent contractors - self employed. Last year our SEC office recommended that a couple of officials not be hired by the schools any more, accompanied by a weak statement by the SEC office to the effect that that was all they could do...
Right; that's why I said I wish. The current way of doing things needs to change. Is it simply cheaper to do it this way?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Right; that's why I said I wish. The current way of doing things needs to change. Is it simply cheaper to do it this way?
You nailed it. It's cheaper by several magnitudes. These guys are paying for all of their own bennies, not cheap, considering the age of a lot. Of course the officials can make enough money to cover that, but the way they do it is to schedule themselves up for 4-5 games a week, which is no small factor in their incompetent performances. Someone above mentioned the frequency with which we see some officials. The answer is economics. They stay in an area where they drive and carpool, or take little puddle-jumper flights. For the big tournaments, where the pay is better, they'll fly further...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Our HS Refs in AZ only make about $75 for officiating 2 games a evening.

You nailed it. It's cheaper by several magnitudes. These guys are paying for all of their own bennies, not cheap, considering the age of a lot. Of course the officials can make enough money to cover that, but the way they do it is to schedule themselves up for 4-5 games a week, which is no small factor in their incompetent performances. Someone above mentioned the frequency with which we see some officials. The answer is economics. They stay in an area where they drive and carpool, or take little puddle-jumper flights. For the big tournaments, where the pay is better, they'll fly further...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Actually, it's not that good up in N. Arizona because every small town is separated by about an hour drive in distance.

For that area I'm sure that's not bad. Offer them the same pay in 'less economically depressed' areas and it would likely be refused.
I'm not a ref, but based on my own pay scales, I wouldn't even consider that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our HS Refs in AZ only make about $75 for officiating 2 games a evening.
That's about what it is in Alabama where I am. I help coach at a small, 1A school, near B'ham, and the former AD told me that by the time they pay the refs (which includes the ref at the scoring table) and the security they barely make any money from the gate. Concession stand is the way we make a little money.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Everything about the game has been watered down. Fundamentals, good officiating, good offense and movement. All of it.

What sad is that football is moving in the same direction.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Please no more Free Throw shooting contests!

1. What needs to happen is that we move the 3pt. line back to Pro dimensions.
2. Keep teams from camping in the lane by adopting a defensive 3 sec. just like the pros.
3. Maybe we could actually teach players how to guard someone using their feet.
I hate free throw shooting contest as well. Personally I think each free throw attempt should be worth 2 points. If you get 2 free throws you have the opportunity to score 4 points on 2 shots. Sometimes, well maybe many times, players feel more pressure from shooting foul shots than when they do taking a shot while covered up by a defender. It also might would cut down on intentional fouling which in my opinion should give the player 3 points per shot attempt if it is deemed intentional. Might stop a lot of dangerous take downs on open layups too if the foul potentially would cost more than giving up the layup! How many times you seen a player get up hurt or lay on the floor after such a hard foul?

Won't happen I know but thats what I would like to change.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.