It's Long Past Time for a Change in Basketball Officiating and Rules

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This is impossible. They are free and independent contractors - self employed. Last year our SEC office recommended that a couple of officials not be hired by the schools any more, accompanied by a weak statement by the SEC office to the effect that that was all they could do...
Can the SEC not blacklist anyone and not allow anyone to hire them or just ask that they not do so?

Does baseball and other sports use the same system as basketball to hire officials with football being the only one to be hired directly by the league?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone above mentioned the frequency with which we see some officials. The answer is economics. They stay in an area where they drive and carpool, or take little puddle-jumper flights. For the big tournaments, where the pay is better, they'll fly further...
Mentioned that in my OP. While they aren't "SEC officials," the frequency of the same officials causes fans to think they are.

Can the SEC not blacklist anyone and not allow anyone to hire them or just ask that they not do so?
The ACC banned Karl Hess after he reportedly used a racial slur towards a Wake Forest booster. Link

Referee Karl Hess will not call any more Atlantic Coast Conference basketball games this season following allegations the official used an ethnic slur during a game between Wake Forest and Louisville, according to multiple reports.

Mit Shaw, a Wake Forest booster of Indian descent, claimed Hess directed a slur at him during a Demon Deacon game Sunday against the Cardinals.

Shaw, former chairman of the Wake Forest board of trustees and CEO of Noble Investment Group, an Atlanta-based hotel company, shared the referee's remark on Twitter.
If the ACC can ban a guy for a racial slur, surely conferences can ban officials for doing a pathetic job.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
With the schools hiring the refs, seems it would be really easy hire a couple of Homers.... What would stop a school hiring a fan of their school? If ref "A" were a Fan of team A and reffing a game they were playing against team B with an all american center, what stops him from calling 2 quick fouls on the center helping his team? Surely school A will keep hiring him..

I'd prefer a rule where if schools hire them as contractors the refs can not live within 500 miles of a school, and can only do 1 or 2 games a week and only 1 per season for any school.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I hate free throw shooting contest as well. Personally I think each free throw attempt should be worth 2 points. If you get 2 free throws you have the opportunity to score 4 points on 2 shots. Sometimes, well maybe many times, players feel more pressure from shooting foul shots than when they do taking a shot while covered up by a defender. It also might would cut down on intentional fouling which in my opinion should give the player 3 points per shot attempt if it is deemed intentional. Might stop a lot of dangerous take downs on open layups too if the foul potentially would cost more than giving up the layup! How many times you seen a player get up hurt or lay on the floor after such a hard foul?

Won't happen I know but thats what I would like to change.
The only way to limit fouls would be to make them more punitive. I like the idea of a two point free throw. Essentially, with 5 fouls per player, and 11 or 12 players per team, you could theoretically have over 80 fouls per game, or 2 fouls per minute without anyone being ejected. That would be a very boring game. I don't want to slow down defense necessarily, but it would be more interesting if the foul line became more beneficial to the person fouled.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.