Interesting speech patterns aka 'people talk funny' (was WWII)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Interesting speech patterns - people talk funny (was WWII)

Most people who speak with me have a hard time believing I'm southern as I have no distinctive 'drawl' - a product of spending much of my life in Orlando and having parents who have no discernible accent - though I do use a few colloquialisms that are definitely southern such as y'all and fixin'.

Most folks assume I'm from the midwest, except mid-westerners, who assume I'm from California.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al

I left Cullman,Al in 1981 for the **. Lived in D.C., Tampa and Colorado and everyone know where I'm from soon as I open my mouth. That accent never left, and they laugh a lot at at the way I phrase things. My girlfriend from North Dakota has some issues with the way I pronounced 'oil'.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

My dad pronounces the largest city in Illinois as "Shu-CARGO." I remember in eighth grade looking at a map in a Geography textbook and I saw it on a map. I thought they had misspelled it ("where's the "r"?) I pronounce it correctly now but didn't until I was around 13.

When I hear a fire truck coming I still say "sigh-reen." My wife and daughter laugh at me over that one.

I've recently drawn on my experience living in SW Virginia 20 something years ago. When I see or hear something somewhat incredulous, I'll reply with a drawn out "Haaaayle faaarrr." I like that one.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Re: WWII: European Theater daily - 1944 (was Normandy Daily)

The only synonym I remember is "slap," as in "I'm slap out," meaning "I don't have any more." However, I grew up in a grit-less household and never saw a bowl before college. Oddly enough, I knew what hominy was. It just hadn't occurred to me that it could be ground up and called "grits."
And hominy at dinner isn't nearly as good as grits at breakfast!

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

What's the correct spellilng for "pert near?"

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

My grandmother had a unique measurement of time, "two shakes of a sheep's tail", I still am not sure exactly how long that is.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Most people who speak with me have a hard time believing I'm southern as I have no distinctive 'drawl' - a product of spending much of my life in Orlando and having parents who have no discernible accent - though I do use a few colloquialisms that are definitely southern such as y'all and fixin'.

Most folks assume I'm from the midwest, except mid-westerners, who assume I'm from California.
I've been told I'm from the midwest before too. Which I find annoying because I dislike the midwest accent. However there are some words where a drawl comes out. Most especially Carolina (Caralinuh).

I left Cullman,Al in 1981 for the **. Lived in D.C., Tampa and Colorado and everyone know where I'm from soon as I open my mouth. That accent never left, and they laugh a lot at at the way I phrase things. My girlfriend from North Dakota has some issues with the way I pronounced 'oil'.
I told a friend of mine from Michigan that I was going to get some oll for my car, he had no idea what I was talking about.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)

I grew up across the bay from the largest military installation in the world (at the time) in NW FL. Thus, all you furriners in the military from up north & out west who cycled through Eglin & sent your chirruns to my schools ruined my perfectly good Southern accent. ;) Despite 200+ years of Alabama heritage + 25 years living in south MS, I don't have much of an accent at all any more. This is sad, because as the late great Lewis Grizzard once said, "God talks like we do." :biggrin2:

I remember when we were moving from western Indiana to MS, one of my midwestern friends looked at my then 10-month-old son & said, "Aw, he's going to speak with a Southern accent." By this time, I had had a gut full of Southerner bashing, so I smiled & said, "Gosh & I sure hope so!" My thinking on this issue didn't really compute with them.

I recall a colleague moving here from Nebraska. We became friends; one day he said, "Want a Pop?" (pronounced something like "pap") I was confused. He said, "I'm going to the machine downstairs. Want anything?" I said, "Oh, you mean a Coke?" :) He lived here 4-5 years, but I don't think he ever really grasped how this works.

Last point: I heard a non-MSU-fan friend comment on the Dawgs' "Hail State" end zone perfectly. He said, "Should there be a comma between Hail & State? And an "Oh" in front of Hail?" ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'll be there directly. Don't forget to cut the lights out.
The first time I visited Austria, it was common to find shops, well after the lunch hour to have a sign on the front door, reading "Ich komme gleich." It really says, closest translation, to "I'll be back immediately," however, it means anything but. It really means "I'll be back eventually, but don't hold your breath." It's one of the things about the Austrians which infuriates the Germans and their time stamp mentality. I once was taking an older Austrian friend to a gathering of friends and it was set for seven PM. I told her I'd pick her up around 6:45, so we'd arrive promptly. She said, in German, "Oh no! You owe your hostess at least 15 minutes. Pick me up at seven..." :)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Country-isms that I never really heard growing up in Birmingham but which I hear from my SO from Montevallo
"Ill" for being upset or angry
"Buggy" for the shopping cart

Another one that neither one of us ever heard but we heard from an older gentleman from Sylacauga.
"Mushmelon" for a cantaloupe. I have since learned that these are also known as 'muskmelon' in the Midwest.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Country-isms that I never really heard growing up in Birmingham but which I hear from my SO from Montevallo
"Ill" for being upset or angry
"Buggy" for the shopping cart

Another one that neither one of us ever heard but we heard from an older gentleman from Sylacauga.
"Mushmelon" for a cantaloupe. I have since learned that these are also known as 'muskmelon' in the Midwest.
Where I come from a mushmelon is a honeydew. IOW, it's green.

My wife gets a buggy at Walmart.

The UPS lady just came in the office and I signed for a package. UPS lady: Thank you much. Me: Have a good 'un.

We're so full of these colloquialisms that we don't even notice because they're natural.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.