Interesting speech patterns aka 'people talk funny' (was WWII)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
HAha, yah - any job that requires an 'anti-decapitation bar' is a winner!
There was a woman in Tidewater Virginia a few years ago who was riding a four-wheel ATV through a logging trail/fire break (without getting the land owner's permission). The land owner had a cable strung across the trail, and it hit her at neck level, snapping her head slam off. ("Slam" being apparently the preferred Alabama dialect for what we in Virginia would call "plum" or "completely.")
Sad. The guy was not trying to decapitate trespassers, but if they had asked, he would have told them to watch out for the cable or would have removed the cable.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: WWII: European Theater daily - 1944 (was Normandy Daily)

There was a woman in Tidewater Virginia a few years ago who was riding a four-wheel ATV through a logging trail/fire break (without getting the land owner's permission). The land owner had a cable strung across the trail, and it hit her at neck level, snapping her head slam off. ("Slam" being apparently the preferred Alabama dialect for what we in Virginia would call "plum" or "completely.")
Sad. The guy was not trying to decapitate trespassers, but if they had asked, he would have told them to watch out for the cable or would have removed the cable.
In north Alabama, I grew up saying "plum," or "plumb," don't know which spelling. I never heard "slam" until many years later..

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

In north Alabama, I grew up saying "plum," or "plumb," don't know which spelling. I never heard "slam" until many years later..
I ran into it speaking with folks from around Tuscaloosa.

One friend from Tennessee moved to Maryland (DC suburbs) as a young kid. In English class, his teacher asked him to use the word "plumb" in a sentence. he wrote, "My grandfather's barn burned plumb down." The Maryland teacher did not count this as correct. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I ran into it speaking with folks from around Tuscaloosa.

One friend from Tennessee moved to Maryland (DC suburbs) as a young kid. In English class, his teacher asked him to use the word "plumb" in a sentence. he wrote, "My grandfather's barn burned plumb down." The Maryland teacher did not count this as correct. :)
The only synonym I remember is "slap," as in "I'm slap out," meaning "I don't have any more." However, I grew up in a grit-less household and never saw a bowl before college. Oddly enough, I knew what hominy was. It just hadn't occurred to me that it could be ground up and called "grits."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

The only synonym I remember is "slap," as in "I'm slap out," meaning "I don't have any more." However, I grew up in a grit-less household and never saw a bowl before college. Oddly enough, I knew what hominy was. It just hadn't occurred to me that it could be ground up and called "grits."
You know, speaking in a way that seems normal to one person growing up in his environment, but sounds odd to others when he leaves his native environment is hard to detect, because, well, native speech patterns sound normal to us.
That said, when I moved from Alabama to the District of Columbia (and was the only person I knew there from south of the Potomac), I used to say, "Hey, "I'm fixin' to go to the Watergate to get some groceries. Can I get anything for you while I'm there?" My Yankee neighbors would look at me quizzically and say, "You're fixing to go?"
I'd think about it a spell and say, "Yes, smart alecks, I am 'holding myself in readiness' to go to the store."
"Fixin' to" just sounded normal to me, but it sure didn't to their Yankee ears.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You know, speaking in a way that seems normal to one person growing up in his environment, but sounds odd to others when he leaves his native environment is hard to detect, because, well, native speech patterns sound normal to us.
That said, when I moved from Alabama to the District of Columbia (and was the only person I knew there from south of the Potomac), I used to say, "Hey, "I'm fixin' to go to the Watergate to get some groceries. Can I get anything for you while I'm there?" My Yankee neighbors would look at me quizzically and say, "You're fixing to go?"
I'd think about it a spell and say, "Yes, smart alecks, I am 'holding myself in readiness' to go to the store."
LOL! yes, that's another...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

Once, I was in a communications facility with just one other soldier on duty with me. He was from Idaho. He was conducting a procedure on a number of cryptographic devices while I was doing something else. We both knew that I would have to leave, I think for a dental appointment (and you can't just not go to those in the Army). I didn't want to leave before he got finished, but I knew I couldn't miss the appointment either. About 20 minutes before the time I knew I had to get out of there, I stepped to where he could see me and hollered across the facility, "How much do you like on those (procedures on the cryptos)?" He stopped what he was doing, stared at me, and asked in a military fashion what I had just said. I thought for a second, figured out the problem and said, "I'm sorry. How much longer will it be until you are finished with the (procedures)?"

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Once, I was in a communications facility with just one other soldier on duty with me. He was from Idaho. He was conducting a procedure on a number of cryptographic devices while I was doing something else. We both knew that I would have to leave, I think for a dental appointment (and you can't just not go to those in the Army). I didn't want to leave before he got finished, but I knew I couldn't miss the appointment either. About 20 minutes before the time I knew I had to get out of there, I stepped to where he could see me and hollered across the facility, "How much do you like on those (procedures on the cryptos)?" He stopped what he was doing, stared at me, and asked in a military fashion what I had just said. I thought for a second, figured out the problem and said, "I'm sorry. How much longer will it be until you are finished with the (procedures)?"
If you said "like" instead of "lack," you might get a blank look from me also... :D

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Re: Interesting speech patterns - people talk funny (was WWII)

So what word does everyone here use for soft drink. When I was growing up in the south, it was a "coke" regardless of the brand of the soft drink.

A typical exchange:

You want a coke?

Sure..

What do you want?

Mountain Dew.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

So what word does everyone here use for soft drink. When I was growing up in the south, it was a "coke" regardless of the brand of the soft drink.

A typical exchange:

You want a coke?

Sure..

What do you want?

Mountain Dew.
I sure NEVER used the words "soda pop".

When I moved to Houston, I wanted to take "Grapico" with me. Best grape soda around.

How about an RC cola? I miss those also. And I agree with "lack" instead of "like".

In some places you can take the boy out of the country, but you still can't take the country out of the boy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

A typical exchange:

You want a coke?

Sure..

What do you want?

Mountain Dew.
Like Al above, we called a Coca Cola a Coke. Most preferred an "RC" or an "RC cola." Grapicos were popular, and called by name. An orange cola was just called an "orange," or a "big orange." A Pepsi Cola was just a "Pepsi." I guess I just never felt the need for a generic blanket name to cover all soft drinks. I suppose it would have been a "cola."

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

When I was in college I said, "Ooshee! That's cold." when I jumped into my roommate's pool. My friends (who were from all over the SE- AL, TN, MS, & KY) had never heard it before. Then they proceeded to make fun of me [emoji2]. When something is cold I've said, "Ooshee" all my life. Someone told me it's a NWAL thing, but I don't know if that's true. None of my college friends had ever heard it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

When I was in college I said, "Ooshee! That's cold." when I jumped into my roommate's pool. My friends (who were from all over the SE- AL, TN, MS, & KY) had never heard it before. Then they proceeded to make fun of me [emoji2]. When something is cold I've said, "Ooshee" all my life. Someone told me it's a NWAL thing, but I don't know if that's true. None of my college friends had ever heard it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I Sewanee...Southerners are creative in coming up with more polite ways to express their expletives and other unbiblical phrases.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

"Push" a button and "mash" a button; "take" me to the store and "carry" me to the store are others

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I Sewanee...Southerners are creative in coming up with more polite ways to express their expletives and other unbiblical phrases.
You-betcha, That and some very creative mispronunciations.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.