WH refuses to call Taliban terrorist group

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
And I saw the White House Chief of Staff this past Sunday on Chris Wallace's show say that we don't negotiate with terrorists. Really? Bergdahl says hello Mr. President.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The main Indo-European dialects of Afghanistan are closely related to Iranian, which, or course, is related linearly to English and the rest of the Germanic family. In Pushtu, "Tali" is "scholar." "Ban" is "band," so, "Taliban" is a "band of scholars, and that's the way they see themselves, even if no one else does...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The main Indo-European dialects of Afghanistan are closely related to Iranian, which, or course, is related linearly to English and the rest of the Germanic family. In Pushtu, "Tali" is "scholar." "Ban" is "band," so, "Taliban" is a "band of scholars, and that's the way they see themselves, even if no one else does...
unfortunately they are scholars, but only of one subject

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
The Taliban?

They execute children, burn entire families and hang bodies from lamp posts for starters.

They're not terrorists.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
That's because we won the war on terror. There is no terrorism anymore. Just rogue acts of violence.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Because we are desperate to enter into a peace agreement with them since we are abandoning Afghanistan and the optics of negotiating peace with terrorists are bad.
ding, ding, ding we have a winner

nailed it.

Sadly? I can't decide. I want to be out of that awful country too

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Scholars, huh? I wonder what college they studied at.....?

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Because we are desperate to enter into a peace agreement with them since we are abandoning Afghanistan and the optics of negotiating peace with terrorists are bad.
I'm not sure the Taliban did much of anything against us (other than allowing al qaeda some safe haven) until we invaded.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Interesting read. Includes a list of current terrorist organization and those who have been de-listed. I don't think the Afghan Taliban is on the list during the Bush or Obama regimes.

http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) are foreign organizations that are designated by the Secretary of State in accordance with section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended. FTO designations play a critical role in our fight against terrorism and are an effective means of curtailing support for terrorist activities and pressuring groups to get out of the terrorism business.

Legal Criteria for Designation under Section 219 of the INA as amended

1. It must be a foreign organization.
  2. The organization must engage in terrorist activity, as defined in section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the INA (8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)),* or terrorism, as defined in section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989 (22 U.S.C. § 2656f(d)(2)),** or retain the capability and intent to engage in terrorist activity or terrorism.
  3. The organization’s terrorist activity or terrorism must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Uh oh! Taliban kills 3 American contactors right after WH denies they are terroist. Blood on Bummers hands.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
Interesting read. Includes a list of current terrorist organization and those who have been de-listed. I don't think the Afghan Taliban is on the list during the Bush or Obama regimes.

http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm

Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTOs) are foreign organizations that are designated by the Secretary of State in accordance with section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended. FTO designations play a critical role in our fight against terrorism and are an effective means of curtailing support for terrorist activities and pressuring groups to get out of the terrorism business.

Legal Criteria for Designation under Section 219 of the INA as amended

1. It must be a foreign organization.
  2. The organization must engage in terrorist activity, as defined in section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the INA (8 U.S.C. § 1182(a)(3)(B)),* or terrorism, as defined in section 140(d)(2) of the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1988 and 1989 (22 U.S.C. § 2656f(d)(2)),** or retain the capability and intent to engage in terrorist activity or terrorism.
  3. The organization’s terrorist activity or terrorism must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States.
You should really read up on the history of the Taliban. Your post really shows how ignorant you are on this. Sad.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You should really read up on the history of the Taliban. Your post really shows how ignorant you are on this. Sad.
Sigh.... I post from the official US State Department website and include one factual statement of my own and am called sadly ignorant. Oh well, not the first time my
vast intellectual prowess has gone unrecognized and under appreciated.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sigh.... I post from the official US State Department website and include one factual statement of my own and am called sadly ignorant. Oh well, not the first time my intellectual prowess has gone unrecognized and under appreciated.
don't you realize that the state department is in on it? they are just another cog in obama's tyranny machine

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You guys actually trust that the State Dept. tells the truth on much of anything?
Please read my post real slow. The definition of terrorism is defined by policy and law going back to 1989. You don't trust Condi Rice? She's on the football playoff committee you know.

Can't have every Tom, Dick and Harry running around defining things. Aren't you in the food service business? What if an employee started calling baby food motor oil instead?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Please read my post real slow. The definition of terrorism is defined by policy and law going back to 1989. You don't trust Condi Rice? She's on the football playoff committee you know.

Can't have every Tom, Dick and Harry running around defining things. Aren't you in the food service business? What if an employee started calling baby food motor oil instead?
The fact that your messiah in the White House is "defining things" to fit his own radical agenda and you defend that speaks volumes. But carry on. He is the messiah, after all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.