Army-Navy date could be problematic

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Navy lost to Texas in the 1964 Cotton Bowl which was before you were born. Roger Staubach was the Navy QB that year and Heisman Trophy winner

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Navy lost to Texas in the 1964 Cotton Bowl which was before you were born. Roger Staubach was the Navy QB that year and Heisman Trophy winner
Yeah, that was my guess as to when it would have been. I know they were a good team and Staubach won the Heisman, so I figured if they had then it must have been that year. Of course, I looked and at one time they actually played in the Rose Bowl.

I DO recall when Navy had a talented basketball player named David Robinson, whom they allowed to stay despite knowing he was too tall to be on sub duty, too.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The answers to this thread have taught me one thing, that fans have their pets and favorites just like the NCAA does. Never mind the rules, just bend them for our favorites.

THIS IS MY WHOLE PROBLEM. My problem is not with Navy, Army, Notre Dame or the Big 12. My problem is with the NCAA making rules they will not enforce. Where I retired from was like that. The company had a hand book of rules to make them feel better (or to make the insurance company feel safer) but they would not enforce them.

(A question: Is it all right for NCAA to sanction Alabama over textbook rules and then let other rules slide?)

No firearms allowed on company property. Yet, half the trucks in the parking lot had rifles and many people said they had guns in the glove pocket. When I asked why they enforced the No Smoking ban and let the No firearm policy slide I was told, "well, there are some rules IMPOSSIBLE to enforce." To which I asked "why did you make a rule you can't enforce? I just got a blank look and no answer.

I think you have to be really stupid or a hypocrite to make rules you can not enforce. Oh wait, I am talking about the NCAA :)

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
The answers to this thread have taught me one thing, that fans have their pets and favorites just like the NCAA does. Never mind the rules, just bend them for our favorites.

THIS IS MY WHOLE PROBLEM. My problem is not with Navy, Army, Notre Dame or the Big 12. My problem is with the NCAA making rules they will not enforce. Where I retired from was like that. The company had a hand book of rules to make them feel better (or to make the insurance company feel safer) but they would not enforce them.

(A question: Is it all right for NCAA to sanction Alabama over textbook rules and then let other rules slide?)

No firearms allowed on company property. Yet, half the trucks in the parking lot had rifles and many people said they had guns in the glove pocket. When I asked why they enforced the No Smoking ban and let the No firearm policy slide I was told, "well, there are some rules IMPOSSIBLE to enforce." To which I asked "why did you make a rule you can't enforce? I just got a blank look and no answer.

I think you have to be really stupid or a hypocrite to make rules you can not enforce. Oh wait, I am talking about the NCAA :)
You're absolutely right that rules should be enforced, or there's no sense having them. On the other hand, that shouldn't always mean blind enforcement of the letter of the law. Sometimes it is helpful to interpret the spirit of the law.

One purpose of the New Year's Day bowl arrangement is to ensure that at least one team from the smaller conferences gets to play on New Year's Day. The purpose of playing the Army-Navy game one week after all the rest of the games are played is to allow the entire nation to celebrate what these young men and women have accomplished, and to thank them for their current and future sacrifice. These should not be competing objectives. I think it is altogether reasonable for the NCAA to grant an exception, so that this special game tradition can continue.

If a Big 12 team can be considered for the Final Four without playing a championship game, then a service academy ought to be considered for a New Years Day bowl, based on the first 11 games of the season. JMHO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.