Lane Kiffin's Return Is a Huge Boost for Alabama QB Jake Coker

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Coker should be breathing a sigh of relief, after Alabama announced over the weekend that offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin will return for a second year in Tuscaloosa. Kiffin, now entering his second season with the Crimson Tide, had been mentioned as the front-runner for the same role with the San Francisco 49ers by ESPN.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...urn-is-a-huge-boost-for-alabama-qb-jake-coker

We, at least, have some game experience coming back with QB.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Am excited about seeing what Coker can do this year...

His pocket presence seemed - to my untrained eye, anyway - to noticeably improve over the course of last season, plus love the zip he puts on the ball...

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It seems that we are now recruiting at least one top-level QB every year and I believe that Blake Sims winning the QB battle and having the season he had was the best thing that could have happened. It reinforces that sticking around a program and working hard even when it seems that the odds are stacked against you can pay off. We've had much more highly-regarded QB's that transferred out when it seemed that they might have to wait a while to play and I don't recall any that really stood out wherever they transferred. Blake hung in there and made the most of his chance when it came even though no one really seemed to have any faith in him. He will always be one of my favorite players because of his humility, perseverance, and class.

...and I will never forget the comebacks against LSU and Auburn and that double-"Oh Wow!" run against Texas A&M.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It seems that we are now recruiting at least one top-level QB every year and I believe that Blake Sims winning the QB battle and having the season he had was the best thing that could have happened. It reinforces that sticking around a program and working hard even when it seems that the odds are stacked against you can pay off. We've had much more highly-regarded QB's that transferred out when it seemed that they might have to wait a while to play and I don't recall any that really stood out wherever they transferred. Blake hung in there and made the most of his chance when it came even though no one really seemed to have any faith in him. He will always be one of my favorite players because of his humility, perseverance, and class.

...and I will never forget the comebacks against LSU and Auburn and that double-"Oh Wow!" run against Texas A&M.
It's great to be able to be a fan of a player both because of the way they play but also because of how they conduct themselves. Blake has highlighted the value of loyalty and sticking with something thru thick and thin.
Loyalty and keeping your word are old values that are often dismissed these days, but in my opinion they are still bedrock principals to live by. I'm glad Blake's situation has made that clear.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
^^ that's why I scooped up a Blake sims autographed #6 jersey as soon as I saw it. I absolutely will miss Blake Sims, I pulled for him the entire offseason last year because of his personality, leadership skills and his ability to use his wheels. He was the most successful duel threat QB Alabama has ever had, and just God bless that kid. I wish him all the success in the world. So long as he keeps his mouth shut about perceived 'problems' with the program after he graduates.

that was last year though, Coker is OUR MAN this year! He will lead us to to the promise land! AS LONG as he dials down that arm strength a little, give our receivers a chance to catch it. That long ball is deadly, but Coker's knock has always been (even at FSU) he leads his receivers out too far. Which could allow for a opposing safety to find a pick or two eventually. Also, I want to see Coker do something under pressure instead of running backwards 20 yards. I know the kid had a rushing TD Earlier in the year, one game. Also I think he had a game with like 30-40 yards rushing. But also remember seeing him run backwards that many yards. So. We'll see, but he's going to be a good one no doubt. This is his year.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good article. It is my opinion that Kiffin is the type OC who will play to the strengths his QB has. That, plus the fact of their familiarity with each other and with the offense, should be a huge advantage for us next season. I truly believe Jake will have an outstanding year assuming our OL improves, can protect him and get the running game back on track. IF this happens and the entire defense plays to its capabilities we should be back in the hunt.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CLK coming back is really huge for all of our qbs.

Coker is no doubt the club house leader at this point but the development and competition with Cornwell and Barnett along with Bateman and Morris will be good for all.

I know we say it almost every year...but this spring practice will be an epic year for qbs to make a major move.

I'm gonning to be interested to see how much more quick and fluid Coker is and I'm really interested in seeing a healthly Cornwell and of course I'm looking forward to Blake Barnett's impact as well.

My gut thinks Bateman's and Morris' time has come and gone.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Coker is no doubt the club house leader at this point but the development and competition with Cornwell and Barnett along with Bateman and Morris will be good for all.

I know we say it almost every year...but this spring practice will be an epic year for qbs to make a major move.

I'm gonning to be interested to see how much more quick and fluid Coker is and I'm really interested in seeing a healthly Cornwell and of course I'm looking forward to Blake Barnett's impact as well.

I wouldn't normally agree with this since both have had so much more time in the system than Coker, Cornwell and Barnett. And at least Bateman came in with pretty high expectations himself. But I see a huge amount of potential and raw talent in especially Cornwell and Barnett. Those two guys strike me as true future NFL starter prospects. One thing's for certain: we should have quite a QB competition in the spring and fall both this year and next - maybe as many as five high-quality guys battling for the starting and backup spots. Not a bad problem to have.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wouldn't normally agree with this since both have had so much more time in the system than Coker, Cornwell and Barnett. And at least Bateman came in with pretty high expectations himself. But I see a huge amount of potential and raw talent in especially Cornwell and Barnett. Those two guys strike me as true future NFL starter prospects. One thing's for certain: we should have quite a QB competition in the spring and fall both this year and next - maybe as many as five high-quality guys battling for the starting and backup spots. Not a bad problem to have.
It's just a guess, but considering how poorly BS looked last spring and how lost Coker looked early last fall, it's troubling that Bateman or Morris still stayed 3 and 4 on the depth chart.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Blake is very talented and I am high on him but he is not going to have an impact on the 2015 season. A true freshman, even with spring training, is not going to come into Bama and have an impact unless something horrible happens to our other QB's.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Blake is very talented and I am high on him but he is not going to have an impact on the 2015 season. A true freshman, even with spring training, is not going to come into Bama and have an impact unless something horrible happens to our other QB's.
I disagree in that he will have an impact on the race if he is good enough to push those who are in front of him to get better faster than him.

Never said he'd start, but I wouldn't be surprised that he climbed up the depth chart ahead of Bateman and Morris by next fall. That's an impact if it makes guys in front of him know a young gun is back there nipping at his heals.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I disagree in that he will have an impact on the race if he is good enough to push those who are in front of him to get better faster than him.

Never said he'd start, but I wouldn't be surprised that he climbed up the depth chart ahead of Bateman and Morris by next fall. That's an impact if it makes guys in front of him know a young gun is back there nipping at his heals.
Now that I know what your definition of impact is I would say that most of our incoming class will have an impact.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Easily my favorite QB going back to when I first started following the Tide in 78. Rings are great but character means a lot.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
2 words; Ohio State!
3 starting QB's over the course of the season with the 3rd winning conference game, playoff game and national championship in dominating fashion. Tells me it's not always failure to grasp the system but being able to tweak the system with the tools at hand. I realize Barnett is a true frosh but with Coker and Cornwell in front of him I would bet the farm CLK could adapt accordingly if needed. I think our offense will be even stronger next year simply due to more people having opportunity to step up and contribute. I'm excited already!

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
2 words; Ohio State!
3 starting QB's over the course of the season with the 3rd winning conference game, playoff game and national championship in dominating fashion. Tells me it's not always failure to grasp the system but being able to tweak the system with the tools at hand. I realize Barnett is a true frosh but with Coker and Cornwell in front of him I would bet the farm CLK could adapt accordingly if needed. I think our offense will be even stronger next year simply due to more people having opportunity to step up and contribute. I'm excited already!
Good post!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
2 words; Ohio State!
That is a great example but this is the exception and not the rule IMO. Their 3rd team QB was 21 years old and had been on campus/system for 3 years. My post did say if "unless something horrible happens to our other QB's" and I would consider losing our top 2 QB's to be horrible. I think Blake is very talented but I think his inexperience at this point is not going to get him on the field in 2015.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
A-Day will be very exciting this year. I really thought there was no way that Blake Sims would win the position last year. Coach Kiffin worked with Blake and the rest is as we say history.I also thought Robert Foster would push for a starting job based on his performance at A-Day. Of course CLK primarily works with the QB's but everyone has a year running his offense so it should be fun to watch how it all plays out! RTR!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.