Link: Richard Sherman/Michael Bennett call out NCAA "scam".

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Having been a student-athlete at Alabama, I'm more in the camp of if you want to graduate, you'll make it happen. I've seen foreign athletes come in, adjust to their new surroundings (including learning a new language), complete their coursework, and practice really well in order to compete at the highest level. Is it easy? No, it's not, but if you want to accomplish your goals, you have to work.

I managed to fit in a part-time job into my schedule only because my boss understood what my priorities were, and that I wouldn't be asking for the same leniency if I hadn't been a student-athlete. If the majority of student-athletes that I knew at Alabama across most sports could do it, these guys can do it as well.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Instead of comparing the student-athlete to a student who also has to work while attending college, let's compare them to students who get full-ride or other academic scholarships...They also don't have to endure the wear and tear on their bodies. Just consider all of our players who have either had surgery or sustained significant injuries. We accept that as part of the package for an athlete but your average student doesn't have to deal with that.
I disagree with the first part. The student that works to pay for tuition is the same as the athlete working for his scholarship. However, you are right on the injuries. Thus, I am not opposed to their being insurances and annuities to help them. But being paid - no.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know too many people who joined the service for money for college to ever feel sorry for a student who gets an athletic scholarship. We all see the world through the lens of our personal experiences, but we should try to understand the world that others live in before forming opinions and making statements like this. Sherman may be a bright man, but his comments were narcissistic and poorly considered. They remind me of the time, about 25 years ago, that Darryl Strawberry declined the NY Mets contract offer. He was offered over 3 millions dollars per year to continue playing for the Mets, and he said that he would be ashamed to only bring home that much money. He said this, unprompted, in a press conference during a recession. Are you kidding me?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I know too many people who joined the service for money for college to ever feel sorry for a student who gets an athletic scholarship. We all see the world through the lens of our personal experiences, but we should try to understand the world that others live in before forming opinions and making statements like this. Sherman may be a bright man, but his comments were narcissistic and poorly considered. They remind me of the time, about 25 years ago, that Darryl Strawberry declined the NY Mets contract offer. He was offered over 3 millions dollars per year to continue playing for the Mets, and he said that he would be ashamed to only bring home that much money. He said this, unprompted, in a press conference during a recession. Are you kidding me?
How was he supposed to support his drug habit on only 3 million?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
They remind me of the time, about 25 years ago, that Darryl Strawberry declined the NY Mets contract offer. He was offered over 3 millions dollars per year to continue playing for the Mets, and he said that he would be ashamed to only bring home that much money. He said this, unprompted, in a press conference during a recession. Are you kidding me?
How about when Latrell Sprewell refused a $21M, three-year contract from the Timberwolves saying, "Why would I want to help them win a title? They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot of risk here. I've got my family to feed."? That was 2005, his last in the NBA since nobody wanted to pay him anything by that point. He went bankrupt pretty quickly after that, IIRC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.