Joe Namath a Football Life

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
His knee surgeries were done in a time when the incision was about a foot or so long and they put you in a cast from ankle to groin for six months...
I had one of those type knee surgeries in the 70's. And yes I had a long leg cast from the top of my thigh to my toes for 6 weeks. Amazing what they used to do medically back then versus now.

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I had one of those type knee surgeries in the 70's. And yes I had a long leg cast from the top of my thigh to my toes for 6 weeks. Amazing what they used to do medically back then versus now.
Been there done that as well, no fun, especially trying to bend your knee after the cast comes off.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Last week, we saw the movie "The Wedding Ringer" and was surprised to see Joe making a cameo. Everyone clapped when they saw him. I just wished he wore his fur coat to the wedding in the movie. :biggrin2:

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Candlestick Park was known for being very windy and Montana seemed to handle it.

They're totally different. The winds at Shea were stronger and they swirled constantly, often changing directions from play to play. The winds at Shea were often artic like too.

Also, Montana wasn't in a real vertical offense, he'd dink-dnk it and Rice, Taylor and the (Brett something) would run it in. Joe Willie was throwing it DOWNFIELD.

I'll put it this way, JN could throw any pass that JM could throw, but JM could only dream of throwing some passes that JN could throw.

In other words, switch them around and JN would have 4 rings, while JM would have none. I'm not knocking Montana, he was a great QB, but he was very fortunate to wind up with Bill Walsh in that offense and with that great supporting cast. Put JN with that 49er team and he would have had similar, if not better results. It would have been a waste of an incredible arm though.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I DVR'd this show a couple of weeks ago and have kept it. My favorite part was when they talked about how you could hear when the football had been releases.

Joe Namath is truly one of a kind. It's a very human story and highly recommended.
Did you have the free movie channel weekend too? I did the same as I already seen it once but recorded it so I could keep it and watch it whenever. My favorite Moore painting is the Third Saturday in October with Namath passing. I am way too young to have seen him, but seeing that old footage of his jump passes and arm are simply amazing. What he could have been if he didn't have those knee problems.

Even my barner Mom watched it and loved it.

I love the fact that ol Joe doesn't make excuses for what he done in life. That's how you live right there. Just admit you were not perfect and try to be the best you can be going forward. True Bama legend.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To this day I think Joe had the greatest arm I've ever seen. Most of y'all need to consider that you've probably never seen him throw a pass with two good legs under him. He played all those years in that wind tunnel called Shea Stadium basically throwing the ball with his arm only and in a vertical passing offense at that. There's very few QB's ever that could have even took that Jets team to the play-offs, never mind winning the SB.

Joe Montana certainly could not have, not enough arm.
I've never seen an arm ilke his either. He could flat out launch it. But he also had great touch when needed.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think in Namath's early years pre knee surgery he was a true dual threat QB. He would fit right in with today's college football. What a player!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.