decommitment thread

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Has college football become a bastion of broken promises? Where will it end?
What's the cause? Players wanting the notoriety and 15 seconds of fame to trend on social media . . . being able brag that they disrespected this coach or that school? It's getting tiresome and hard to be a fan. Where are the parents or coaches?
Oh well. It would be interesting if someone who follows recruiting could tally the commitments, decommitments, and recommitments.

Roll Tide

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
That 17-18 year old players might have a hard time making decisions shouldn't be surprising. I changed my major numerous times before making a final decision. In defense of the recruits today, there has never been a time when a recruit can be bombarded constantly through the different schools, media, and fans. There is so much being thrown at them from all directions that it is no wonder the decision thought process can be affected.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Some commit when they believe they will be a first-year starter, or at worst a red-shirt year away from starting, then the team they committed too gets higher ranked recruits at that position. Plus, you've got schools out there who will apparently drop one commitment to give a spot to a recruit that becomes available later, so there's a problem on both sides. I wish I could think of a better system that does not involve lying and pride, but I can't come up with it. BTW, I have no knowledge of UA being insincere to anyone. From what I've heard, CNS and his team do things the right way.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They tell all recuits that they have opportunity to get looked at and compete for playing time.
Some commit when they believe they will be a first-year starter, or at worst a red-shirt year away from starting, then the team they committed too gets higher ranked recruits at that position. Plus, you've got schools out there who will apparently drop one commitment to give a spot to a recruit that becomes available later, so there's a problem on both sides. I wish I could think of a better system that does not involve lying and pride, but I can't come up with it. BTW, I have no knowledge of UA being insincere to anyone. From what I've heard, CNS and his team do things the right way.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Early signing period woul be interesting, wouldn`t it?
Similar to early acceptance for college. I wonder how many of those don't happen. I'm not in that space, never had teenagers, am 57, and just not in the loop. All I know is when I made a commitment to my parents or boss at that age, I had better keep it or face the consequences.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Similar to early acceptance for college. I wonder how many of those don't happen. I'm not in that space, never had teenagers, am 57, and just not in the loop. All I know is when I made a commitment to my parents or boss at that age, I had better keep it or face the consequences.
VT, it's probably a bit more complicated than keeping your word. Based on some reports we stopped talking to Custis for long stretches and kept taking CB recruits. Prince and his family came all the way from Maryland only to be told, maybe suddenly, that we didn't have room. We bear at least partial responsibility for some of these turns of event. Tricky, these relationships.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Yeah, there is nothing personal with decommitments, but sometimes people (whether coaches or players, and I don't mean any of our situations necessarily) make it that way. It is part of the recruiting process, and has always been that way. It has become way more publicized, and quite a bit more frequent...but I think that is to be expected when there are many more viable choices for recruits to go to school these days than in previous years.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Early signing period woul be interesting, wouldn`t it?
I liked it when the SEC used to have one. If I remember correctly the SEC's early signing date was the first Wednesday in December and it was only binding so far SEC schools were concerned. I believe several other conferences had similar early signing dates. Always wondered why the NCAA killed it back in the early 1980's.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't get worked up about it because we can't have it both ways. We get excited when we get another teams commitment to flip to Bama and then pat ourselfs on the back. So we can't get upset when the reverse happens. It's just the nature of recruiting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.