Game Thread: ****Super Bowl Game Thread****

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
what is the point of ejecting a player for 18 seconds and a kneel down?
Because he threw a punch that connected with a guy's head right in front of an official. Doesn't really matter how much time is on the clock.

While I enjoy the way Seattle plays defense, I must say that what they did at the end of the game was exactly why I don't root for them. That was so bush league.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yep!

Montana never threw a single interception in his four Super Bowls, three of which were blowouts (the 26-21 win over Cincinnati in 1982 was artificially close as SF led 20-0 and was only seriously threatened once, when it was 20-14). Granted, Lewis Billups dropped a certain pick but so what? He never threw one in that huge game.

Montana also won his biggest blowout Super Bowl with a rookie head coach, George Seifert. And the 49ers were far worse when they drafted Montana than the Patriots were when they drafted Brady. That's not to say Brady is bad - far from it. But I don't think Super Bowls is the whole resume, either. Who would you rather have as QB, Trent Dilfer who won one or Dan Marino who didn't?

Some pretty lame QBs have won Super Bowls: Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Dilfer, Brad Johnson, hell, Eli Manning has won TWICE as many as his legendary brother.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I disagree. It was at least 3rd and "8." A passing down.
A certain legendary coach calling a fake punt on 4th and 13 in his own end of the field in a national title game wasn't exactly a stroke of genius. Well, actually it was - it set up the injury to Colt McCoy down there that Saban knew all along was the chief game plan.

But at least that dumb call was early enough in the game to have no material affect on the outcome. Carroll blew a shot at legendary status. What if Seattle wins it all NEXT year? That will make what happened even worse historically speaking. This jack weed is going to get up nights losing sleep over this one just like Belichick has to wake up now thinking, "I'd have won five and been the greatest of all-time if Tyree hadn't made that grab in 2008!"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A certain legendary coach calling a fake punt on 4th and 13 in his own end of the field in a national title game wasn't exactly a stroke of genius. Well, actually it was - it set up the injury to Colt McCoy down there that Saban knew all along was the chief game plan.

But at least that dumb call was early enough in the game to have no material affect on the outcome. Carroll blew a shot at legendary status. What if Seattle wins it all NEXT year? That will make what happened even worse historically speaking. This jack weed is going to get up nights losing sleep over this one just like Belichick has to wake up now thinking, "I'd have won five and been the greatest of all-time if Tyree hadn't made that grab in 2008!"
It's necessary to remember that Seattle also had their RZ interception and a TD courtesy of the slow back judge not being able to get out of the way and blocking the Pat's #24 to enable the Seahawk's last TD. Poetic justice that the Hawks threw a goal line INT...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
The Seattle pass call on 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line with one of the best running backs in the world in the backfield is.........
THE ABSOLUTE DUMBEST CALL IN FOOTBALL HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty much what I said to my wife 5 seconds after the play ended. Mind boggling!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
It's necessary to remember that Seattle also had their RZ interception and a TD courtesy of the slow back judge not being able to get out of the way and blocking the Pat's #24 to enable the Seahawk's last TD. Poetic justice that the Hawks threw a goal line INT...
This. Seattle got some breaks along the way, especially the play with the ref. I hate that it was Wilson who cost the Seahawks the game.

Espn had an interesting statistic that there were 109 pass attempts from the 1-yd line this season in the NFL. Wilson's was the only INT and the pass plays had a TD success rate percentage greater than a running play called from the one (61% vs 58%).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I also saw a stat that said in the same situation the Seahawks were in last night (1st & goal from the 1), Lynch scored a TD 1 in 6 tries.
But it's a useless stat.

How many of those runs were with the game on the line in the fourth quarter when the opposing defense was tired?

Comparing first and second qtr defensive stats to the end of the game and not figuring fatigue is ludicrous. I'd have to go look at it, but I'll bet it was never this situation (game on the line - obviously it wasn't the Super Bowl).

That's why Brady kept passing despite Seattle having some great fourth qtr pass stats, a point Belichick noted.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
"Passing down" doesn't matter in that situation. Up 2 with 50 seconds left, on your own 35. Run the ball, milk the clock as much as possible and punt it away.
I think Auburn had one timeout left, which they would have used. Run it, we punt with about 45 seconds left and they have to drive about 60 yards or so. I'd still take my chances with that as opposed to what did happen.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Both teams got away with a lot of picks. One of the Pats TD passes looked like the play ND ran against FSU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.