Johnny Manziel Entered Treatment This Past Wednesday

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel entered treatment on Wednesday, adviser Brad Beckworth told ESPN.com through a Manziel spokesman.

"Johnny knows there are areas in which he needs to improve in order to be a better family member, friend and teammate and he thought the offseason was the right time to take this step," Beckworth said.

"On behalf of Johnny and his family, we're asking for privacy until he rejoins the team in Cleveland."

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I had no idea, he exhibited none of the signs....

Sarcasm off, I truly hope this will help him get his priorities set before he does something permanently damaging while being temporarily stupid.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I had no idea, he exhibited none of the signs....

Sarcasm off, I truly hope this will help him get his priorities set before he does something permanently damaging while being temporarily stupid.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
I hope so as well. It will depend on whether Johnny has suffered enough consequences to make him embrace treatment. If so, he has a chance. If not, he will continue to be a train wreck rolling through the lives of others.

Godspeed, Johnny. Accept the things you cannot change. Have the courage change the things you can. Develop the wisdom to know the difference.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hopefully this is him hitting rock bottom and not the org making him go.
Agreed. If he is being forced by family or work, chances are slim for sustained recovery. It is merely rubbing salve on the wound and hoping the pain goes away. Johnny has to be there because he recognizes and accepts his problem.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
We don't know his life or what he's gone through this last year. It ain't all about the money, and the partying often is an attempt to fill a hole in life. Look, I know we don't like JM, but let's give the guy a chance to get his life together. This goes beyond sports.
I do not have any issue with Manziel but when he had his dismissal from the Manning camp, I thought it was stupid that so many tried to blame AJ for Manziel being late to morning meetings and drills. When that blame game got some traction with a couple of ESPN people, I thought the whole Johnny Football thing had blown past reality.
Hope he gets his life together but he first needs to hold himself accountable for his actions and if he volunteered himself for rehab, then he might be starting to hold himself accountable.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Hopefully this is him hitting rock bottom and not the org making him go.
I agree with your statement, however I fear this is no where near 'rock bottom' for him. Think about it, if your rock bottom meant time in a upper scale rehab facility with top notch psychological doctors, and you still had millions in the bank, would you ever want to not be at Rock bottom? I think rock bottom for him would be to fall all the way from grace. Lose it all. Only to pick up the pieces elsewhere in life and really prove to the community and self by helping kids and all that jazz.

Hope he he gets his act together, dual threat QBs aren't really all they're cracked up to be in the pros apparently.. Although this has more to do with personality and lack of self control imo

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
He hasn't hit rock bottom until he's out of money and people who care about him.
Common misconception. Actually many can "raise their bottom" to where they don't have to lose everything in order to get into and sustain recovery. Rock bottom relates as much emotional immaturity and insecurity as it does to loss of family, friends, and finances.

It really boils to a circumstance where the individual recognizes a couple of key concepts. First, I have a problem and the problem is me, not my family, not my friends, not my job, not the bottle, not the pills, but me. Second, my own selfishness and self will are the things that will kill me.

If he (Manziel) isn't there, then he will leave rehab, suffer more consequences and either have an epiphany or wind up, as we say, "locked up (jail) or covered up (dead)".

Only time will tell.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Common misconception. Actually many can "raise their bottom" to where they don't have to lose everything in order to get into and sustain recovery. Rock bottom relates as much emotional immaturity and insecurity as it does to loss of family, friends, and finances.

It really boils to a circumstance where the individual recognizes a couple of key concepts. First, I have a problem and the problem is me, not my family, not my friends, not my job, not the bottle, not the pills, but me. Second, my own selfishness and self will are the things that will kill me.

If he (Manziel) isn't there, then he will leave rehab, suffer more consequences and either have an epiphany or wind up, as we say, "locked up (jail) or covered up (dead)".

Only time will tell.
I understand your point, however...
My point was: When people who have plenty of money and they hit a tough stretch in their life they may think they have hit rock bottom...to which I would say "Sure, you have it rough right now, but you are dealing with the problems you now have with some money to make things easier...try to do it with no money."

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Good Luck to him. Stardom has taken it's toll on many people. I'm blessed to be a nobody, but when it comes to addictions I think we could all say, "But by the grace of God, there go I".

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I understand your point, however...
My point was: When people who have plenty of money and they hit a tough stretch in their life they may think they have hit rock bottom...to which I would say "Sure, you have it rough right now, but you are dealing with the problems you now have with some money to make things easier...try to do it with no money."
ive seen plenty of spoiled brats (for lack of a better term) who know very well how to play the "oh, i realize i've done bad and i promise i'm going to do better and stop embarrassing myself and my family" game. and i've seen many "enablers" who buy it hook, line and sinker every time.

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Echoes of JaMarcus Russell. I would like to think Johnny can pull things together. But even if he parties his way out of the NFL, daddy's oil empire is sitting there just waiting to cushion his fall. He has a lifetime of pampered excess and people enabling him to overcome.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I don't like JM. I don't like his brazenness on or off the field. I don't respect how he has handled his notoriety nor do I respect how he has put himself above the team, his teammates, and the game both in college and in the NFL. Possibly high school as well.

That being said, the man is human. If he is in rehab and it didn't take killing someone or losing everything to get him there then kudos to him for that. If he's honestly taking responsibility for some issues that he's struggling with then kudos for that as well.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
I like the kid and hope this will help him lead a productive life. I feel like he's going to need it because it won't be as a Pro QB. That's just my opinion. I think Cleveland realizes they made a mistake.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.