Dee Liner Tweets "Officially Released from the UofA"

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I hate to see him go also, but if we bring in a full class we are going to have even more attrition than Liner to get to the 85 scholarship limit.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Can he really afford to wait til senior to get playing time? Will it be enough to get a chance in NFL? That's why I thought he's making a wise decision to go somewhere, and get at least two season worth of film enough to show NFL He's ready. I do expect him to play at lower division schools, but I don't know if he'll stay at home though.
I think that getting playing time is vastly overblown in regards to draft position. The NFL drafts tons of players who have only played for 1 year. It also drafts tons of players who haven't stood out in college but have freakish measurables. Jones for OSU was talking about getting drafted high and he only played 3 games. I think one years time is certainly enough to put out there for the NFL to evaluate you. One year of exposure while playing DL at Alabama is probably better than 2 years of playing against lower level competition.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
He will probably end up at North Alabama.
I kind of hope so, and kind of hope not. He would tear it up at UNA, but given some of the things that happened when he was in the area at Muscle Shoals there may be "old friends" that are just not good for him to be around. I hope the best for him. He seems to have grown up a lot since he left.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that getting playing time is vastly overblown in regards to draft position. The NFL drafts tons of players who have only played for 1 year. It also drafts tons of players who haven't stood out in college but have freakish measurables. Jones for OSU was talking about getting drafted high and he only played 3 games. I think one years time is certainly enough to put out there for the NFL to evaluate you. One year of exposure while playing DL at Alabama is probably better than 2 years of playing against lower level competition.
I agree. He still has 3 years to play 2. Unless he was advised by Saban to leave, he should have stayed. He will have a greater chance as a 1 or 2 year starter under Saban than at a small school.

Jones, Barrett and Bosa are three examples of players who were expected to play little, if at all, this year for the Bucks. You never know when or how opportunity will come knocking, but you need to be prepared when it does. Liner would have been better prepared at Alabama. But I wish him well.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Exactly. With Liner gone, I've got Bama with 65 on scholarship counting Bo Scar. They've already got 23 commitments not counting any other additions to the class. That's 88 and counting. There's got to be more attrition somewhere.

I hate to see him go also, but if we bring in a full class we are going to have even more attrition than Liner to get to the 85 scholarship limit.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Allen could very well leave early for the draft. Reed and Pettway are gone. That leaves Tomlinson and Hand (going off your list) as Liner's main competition. The way Bama is rotating DL, he would have played.

Liner's problem comes from the 2013 Tennessee game. He was set to redshirt in 2013 but played in the Tennessee game, so he lost his redshirt season. That has to be frustrating for him.
Above ^

Wish he had hung in . . Hard to have too much depth on the D line in this league. Especially would like to see guys from the old home county playing at the ole alma mater.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Exactly. With Liner gone, I've got Bama with 65 on scholarship counting Bo Scar. They've already got 23 commitments not counting any other additions to the class. That's 88 and counting. There's got to be more attrition somewhere.
You can probably bet there's at least 1 spot opening up from a QB transfer.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Now do we count the ones that are actively wanting to transfer, with the medical injuries (who are still given a FULLY honored education throughout their remaining academic careers at Bama), along with the ones Saban "runs off" to free up schollies to oversign by 30? Just askin?

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I could see Cornwell if Barnett or Cooper are ahead of him after the spring. Bateman I can see going if he isn't #1 or #2 behind Coker. If he is #2 behind Coker, I think he stays with a good shot at starting 2 years and then Barnett jumps in as a junior and has his 2 years.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We're off the subject a litlte, but I honestly think we won't see any Qbs transferring this year... The only way I see this happening is if Alec Morris isn't in top 3 after the spring. Now, remember Cornwell said he bought into the process and Bateman said that he's going to ride it out as well. I think they know that history isn't on their side if they transfer out of Alabama. Right now, Cornwell and Morris probably will battle for no.2 and 3... Bateman really have uphill to climb this spring, and show coaches that he can get better with his timing of the throws.

Back to the subject: I think Dee Liner will probably look at Jacksonville State somewhere he can play immediately. I don't think being close to home would be a factor as one would indicate...

I could see Cornwell if Barnett or Cooper are ahead of him after the spring. Bateman I can see going if he isn't #1 or #2 behind Coker. If he is #2 behind Coker, I think he stays with a good shot at starting 2 years and then Barnett jumps in as a junior and has his 2 years.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
We're off the subject a litlte, but I honestly think we won't see any Qbs transferring this year... The only way I see this happening is if Alec Morris isn't in top 3 after the spring. Now, remember Cornwell said he bought into the process and Bateman said that he's going to ride it out as well. I think they know that history isn't on their side if they transfer out of Alabama. Right now, Cornwell and Morris probably will battle for no.2 and 3... Bateman really have uphill to climb this spring, and show coaches that he can get better with his timing of the throws.

Back to the subject: I think Dee Liner will probably look at Jacksonville State somewhere he can play immediately. I don't think being close to home would be a factor as one would indicate...
Agreed on QB's. Why would Cornwell leave after his redshirt freshman year? I can see some people mentioning Morris and maybe even Bateman (although some of said Bateman may make a move) but to mention a RS freshman just starting his college career leaving makes no sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dee tweets he's going to Arkansas State...

@Liner_25 Finally made a decision on where I want to play ball at I will be attending Arkansas State University! Thank for the opportunity! #Gov

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.